Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

5 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I'm not convinced you'd have got another 3,000 in today like, for all the stadium is rated 10,300 apparently.

Stand opposite filled up a bit more than this after I took the video. I thought the announcer gave the crowd as 10k+ rather than 7k+ and I believed him

I was just along from you.

Think we had 4 seasons in 90 minutes today[emoji38]

Was wondering how everyone was going to cram into the terraces second half when fans emigrated from the opposite side!

Absolutely class day, a real high for the lasses and nufc as a whole.

Congrats to the lasses. I caught a few games this year. I personally thought the video of Eddie and the mens team giving their congrats and well wishes was also class.

Onward and upward!

It's definitely one of the reasons I've enjoyed it so much like, and being (usually) able to switch ends at HT has been great as well. 

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Watching an NUFC game on a terrace in 2024.  Might have to get involved.

It's a peach like, nowt like whinging it's freezing wet one minute to being basked in sun the next.

All whilst 10 goals are flying in. Good day.

13 hours ago, Decky said:

Delighted for the lasses. I'm sure another promotion to the WSL is coming in the next couple of years as well. Some achievement given where they were a couple of years ago under Ashley trying to fund themselves.

On a side note I love seeing the likes of Katie Barker still involved at the club having been there since before the takeover when the team was neglected. Bet she can't believe where the club is now in such a short period of time. 

The other great thing about this is that Katie Barker (among others) doesn't appear to have hit anything like her ceiling at this level. Really direct and aggressive player, and one of the few who stepped up against hashtag with an eye for a shot.

Was discussing with stifler during the game that she's great on the wing because she works so hard and either crosses or cuts in so well (and crucially gets her head up so she knows which is the best option), but you could easily see her somewhere else across the front.

I don't doubt there'll be incomings and outgoings but I'd be disappointed if very many of the players who formed the core of the team this season went much further than the bench.

Going back to O'Neill's post a couple of weeks ago, he watches way more than I do and will have a much better idea of the standard of the Championship and I accept that a fully (?) professional league is a very different proposition to a fully professional team in an amateur or semi pro league routinely turning over opponents by close to double figures, of course :thup:

Edited by OpenC

On 14/04/2024 at 10:40, maybe_next_year said:

The one thing that's disappointed me and I know it's a bit unfair to be critical of what is a fan run website, is the lack of any coverage of the women's team by the people at NUFC.com. They cover the academy matches, so it's a real shame that there isn't even a mention on their sight that the lasses could (and should) win the league today. Same with the cup final, absolute no mention before or after about it. 

Not a single peep out of them today.

I suppose if you're not interested you're not interested; there are still plenty of supporters who just aren't bothered about the women's game, which is both fair enough and their loss :) I know a few women's team fans who couldn't give less of a fuck about the men's team.

Edited by OpenC

Do many people still read .com? I haven't in years. The most important media that gets to the masses these days are the people who vlog from the games on YouTube and in fairness plenty of them cover the women's team. 

Assume she's playing Kacie Elson and Tyler Dodds either side of her, Boddy McQuade and Kelly in the middle and back 4 of the rest? Not always easy to tell like. Interested to know how the defence looks without Charlotte Potts, let us know :thup:

Edited by OpenC

Be interesting without Charlotte Potts offensively as well as defensive. She starts off that many attacks. Hopefully Jodie Bartle will pick up and fill in well. Could be an interesting game. We should have more than enough but it will be great if we have to score 6 cos they've got 5

Pretty rare to get live coverage away from Kingston Park, the grounds they're playing at are not particularly high level most of the time. I would have liked to see it as well though :thup:

Could have scored 3 in the first 5 mins but slowed down a bit since then. Hannah greenwood playing in the pottsy role. Back 6 playing very fluid and changing about continuously but Kacie and Dodds not playing as well as the wingers normally do. 

Greenwood is a really versatile player, proper little unsung hero in that team. Not as quick to decide what to do as Potts but she's solid.