Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

1 minute ago, maybe_next_year said:

I'd say the gap is much, much bigger. We've been a professional team a matter of months. 

Not sure mind, the last two league matches were 11-3 and 7-0, and 5-0 before that. Not the likes of Burnley, Forest, Wolves, but there's some dross at the bottom end of the table.

7 minutes ago, Smal said:

hmm, not really got much to play to when we get the ball back here. Wonder if we’ll get McQuade on for the second half.

McQuade and Elson for me but it's too late now I guess

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Obviously a big step up in quality, but I'm surprised by the hoof ball to the isolated striker. Always seemed to be a passing team when I've watched them, been a bit surprised to be honest at the tactics here. 

Looks a lot harder against a technically good side.

We do get a lot of joy with a long ball from Potts up the wings usually tbf, man u just have a lot more recovery pace than sides in our division.

4 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Still playing mind. Potts (I think) just fettled Jeyce who had been showboating a bit

The female Botman.

26 minutes ago, maybe_next_year said:

Fair play to that bloke constantly singing, decent noise overall from the away end. 

That's Kenja from Fans TV ... or, at least, it usually is.

Edited by Cclay

6 minutes ago, OpenC said:

McQuade and Elson for me but it's too late now I guess

Think we can do something if we get some support for Galloway. We’ve been too eager to go long I think. 

Just now, OpenC said:

Honestly the gap isn't as monumental as I expected like, even if we're comfortably outplayed second half

We have looked excellent in spells, tbh I wish theyd pass it about more, they look excellent when they do rather than punting it long. Our midfield breaks up play very well.

They have a lot more pace and obvious world class players.

Just now, Smal said:

Think we can do something if we get some support for Galloway. We’ve been too eager to go long I think. 

Aye, got some real quality in the midfield that's just being bypassed. Disappointed that we've never tested Slow Mary like

10 hours ago, Smal said:

As someone else said, long balls to the right wing are usually fruitful for us. Manchester United have enough pace on that wing to be nullifying it though. Their pace on their right wing is undoing us as well.

Edited by Cclay

1 minute ago, Cclay said:

As someone else said, long balls to the right wing is usually fruitful for us. Manchester United have enough pace on that wing to be nullifying it though. Their pace on their right wing is undooing us as well.t

Man u's right wing is quality.

Like I say she's so rarely tested in the league that it's never really been much of a concern I reckon. She's obviously a popular lass and does her best but could have done better with that 3rd

I'm sure they're thinking about it if they get the promotion

Edited by OpenC

10 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I've never been impressed by our keeper when I've seen her. Mind goalkeeping is not a bright spot in women's football full stop

I wouldn't imagine she will be first choice next season. Far more positives from this game than negatives, we have a number of players who wouldn't look out of place in the man u team going of today's performance.

Insane that they've persisted with the long ball to a completely solo Galloway like, the whole back 4 has her comfortably outpaced. Never even nearly looked like producing anything that way.

Durham 0-4 in the closing stages of their match with Man City. Similar stats to our match, although they have seemingly had a few shots on target. Sunderland currently 0-1 at home to Southampton who are in and around them in the 2nd tier - there's 30 mins left in that one.

You'd probably think some of those who have been there a few years, who are not super young, like possibly the keeper, maybe Georgia Gibson and a couple others, will be upgraded if they do get promoted, and they possibly become squad players, and those currently on the bench / not in the squad as there's only like 5 subs for league matches, would probably be moved on.

Not uncommon, but a bit of a strange situation because (while unlikely) they could in theory win 10 of their final 11 matches, but lose away to Burnley and finish 2nd by a point and not go up, and while disappointing for the club, being the only fully pro team in the league, that scenario would probably be better for some of the local players who have been there a while, don't want to move on just yet, and possibly won't be as competent in the second tier.

9 WSL teams through to the last 16, the 3 teams in that league who lost are currently 9th, 11th, and 12th and all lost to fellow WSL sides above them in the table. 5 Championship sides through as well as both Nottingham Forest and Wolves in our league. Wolves won away at Reading who are currently 3rd bottom in the 2nd tier in the only real 'shock' of the round.

Burnley took 2nd tier leaders Birmingham to extra time, but lost 1-3, so the top of the table Burnley vs Newcastle clash should still take place on Feb 11th (unless the League Cup affects that date). We play Wolves on Feb 4th, so they might have the FA Cup on their mind then, but it will still be a week away.