More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He's an upgrade and a good age, you'd think we could recoup £18-20m in a few years time still?

Improvement or not (in that position our bar is low), the probable outcome of investing in a 25 y/o being a 30% loss of value is a bet I do not take.   

Just now, Jagten said:

Improvement or not (in that position our bar is low), the probable outcome of investing in a 25 y/o being a 30% loss of value is a bet I do not take.   

What is it you don't like about him?

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I'd put him in the same bracket as someone like Trossard. In the right set-up and team he could take a team to the top 8 or 9.

What about Milner? Or is that reaching?

Just now, reefatoon said:

If Howe feels he’s a next step player and wants to bring him in, that’s good enough for me.

We don't even know he does want him, just the usual clickbait articles. As I said I don't think he's a next step up player and I certainly wouldn't pay 30 million for him 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

We don't even know he does want him, just the usual clickbait articles. As I said I don't think he's a next step up player and I certainly wouldn't pay 30 million for him 

Didn’t he score ten goals last season? and that’s in a team that narrowly  missed relegation.

How can that not be a step up?

Guest reefatoon
Just now, et tu brute said:

That’s why I said “if” he wants him. If we do get him in though, you know the club have done their homework and feel he can make an impact and play a part in where we want to go. 

personally, I’m not going to write anyone off. Whoever we bring in, I’m looking forward to seeing how they perform, how we shape the team and watching us kick on. 

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

What about Milner? Or is that reaching?

16 goals & 9 assists in a fairly average team in 2 seasons? We'd be signing him in his prime and you'd expect his numbers to improve playing in what should be a better team. £30m-ish for someone proven to score close to double-figures and provide assists seems very fair.

Maximin is a similar age and hasn't got the output Harrison has and we wouldn't think of selling for £40m.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

One thing that boils my piss (a little bit) is when I hear journalists say 

Newcastle will only do a deal that suits them and won’t go above their valuation of a target 

The problem with that is …..

There are always a few teams willing to pay just that little bit more to secure a deal if it’s the player they really want 

So if we don’t pay it , someone else will 

Also - if we have a list of targets and we don’t get the player we want (and we need to go down our list) ….are we not then going to have to replace/sell these players at some point (when we decide to go after bigger targets down the line) ??

Who will buy them if they are on decent wages? Haven’t quite done it for us ?

Also …do we not contact players / agents months in advance….so we should pretty much know straight away if the transfer fee or wages will be an issue? 

Yes we have a 5 year plan ? Maybe 4 years now??…..but the top 5 or 6 clubs have potentially improved (moved ahead) of us now in terms of player quality….. and they will always have the finances and wage structure to compete for the top players despite our wealth 

I don’t think over spending on a few top targets will show weakness , it just shows a desire to push for Europe , a willingness to show ambition 

I am not talking about stupid crazy spending , I am talking about doing that little bit extra to nab our top targets on our list? 

As what is the point in having all these high priority targets and seeing them sign for other teams ?

There always has to be a middle ground , and pushing the boat out on maybe 2 players may reap the rewards of European football ??

Which in turn can generate more tv money / more commercial money / a higher standard of player interest? /etc 

We don’t have to spend every window if we get the higher standard of players that we have at the top of our list ??

Edited by JonBez comesock

Guest reefatoon

Don’t worry man, we will bring in more players, it’s just proving a little trickier than expected, but it will happen. 

Just sit back, relax and realise how much better this all is compared to what we had to put up with before.

This summer has been the best summer in 15 years, enjoy it!

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

That’s why I said “if” he wants him. If we do get him in though, you know the club have done their homework and feel he can make an impact and play a part in where we want to go. 

personally, I’m not going to write anyone off. Whoever we bring in, I’m looking forward to seeing how they perform, how we shape the team and watching us kick on. 

Whoever we sign (if he does) has to be given a chance. Anyway it's only clickbait articles from the usual pack, so I'll just wait and see what happens first. We can leave any analysis and discussions on players until they actually sign for now. So I'll leave it there.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Don’t worry man, we will bring in more players, it’s just proving a little trickier than expected, but it will happen. 

Just sit back, relax and realise how much better this all is compared to what we had to put up with before.

This summer has been the best summer in 15 years, enjoy it!

I am pretty relaxed to be fair , I just think they would of known how difficult it was going to be from the outset 

it will be like this every window tbf

i still have 100% faith and will back the owners to the hilt 

It’s always nice to get a little concerned , ?

Ps - I just believe there has to be a time to go that extra mile …which they will do In the future …i have no doubt 

They have done a whole host of fantastic things so far for the club on and off the field 

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

16 goals & 9 assists in a fairly average team in 2 seasons? We'd be signing him in his prime and you'd expect his numbers to improve playing in what should be a better team. £30m-ish for someone proven to score close to double-figures and provide assists seems very fair.

Maximin is a similar age and hasn't got the output Harrison has and we wouldn't think of selling for £40m.

Well a lot of people pooh pooh-ing over the idea of Harrison, maybe because he doesn't do the fancy step overs, but he might do a lot of things right which don't catch the eye. I know many of us thought James Milner wasn't good enough, but he's won umpteen trophies since at Liverpool. Those numbers do suggest Harrison has something about him.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Well a lot of people pooh pooh-ing over the idea of Harrison, maybe because he doesn't do the fancy step overs, but he might do a lot of things right which don't catch the eye. I know many of us thought James Milner wasn't good enough, but he's won umpteen trophies since at Liverpool. Those numbers do suggest Harrison has something about him.

Harrison tore Trippier a new one in the first half iirc.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We need to add about 20 goals or so this summer, he probably brings an 8-10 goal improvement over Fraser and Almiron and that's being conservative. Add a fully fit Wilson and back up striker and I think we've bridged the gap.

Username checks out

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

At least hes got a football brain. But hey give Almiron and the others a chance, like some would instead..

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Another factor is he's clearly used to the high press after playing under Bielsa. The more I think about this one the the more I think he'll be an excellent fit.

Same. But I don't want to say it too enthusiastically just yet in case it all turns out to be a dud story. In which case he'll go back to being a one dimensional talentless shitbag with not tricks up his sleeve.