sunderland in the EFL

Big River

On 16/06/2023 at 17:55, relámpago blanco said:

@TeddySAFC You seem fairly level headed, what is the general consensus in Sunderland about Newcastle's turnaround. I only really see the trolls on twitter and the erratic folk on RTG who all seem to offer out any NUFC fan they see who always backs down from them scared.

I can only speak for myself really. The turnaround has been crackers at how quickly it's happened and hats off for last season really. I don't agree with the whole PIF / State Ownership and the same goes for other clubs involved but it is what it is now.

I'd certainly like Teddy to stick around so we have someone sensible to talk about Sunderland with.

Rivals or not, I'd rather proper conversation than playground nonsense.

Let's not be like RTG, let's welcome a stranger and embrace discourse.

Alot won't like it, but there is a helluva lot of similarities between the two sets of fans.

Apart from the deliverance bunch and the endless amount of topless 15 year old wannabe gangsters they seem to have, I don't have much issues at all.

Of course, if there was a derby on the cards, I'd wish them all a horrible death. [emoji38]

37 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

I can only speak for myself really. The turnaround has been crackers at how quickly it's happened and hats off for last season really. I don't agree with the whole PIF / State Ownership and the same goes for other clubs involved but it is what it is now.

That's a fair analysis. I miss the derby, there isn't another match like it.

I’m still going to take the piss tbh.  But I’ve no time at all for any aggressive crack.  Teddy seems ok to me - I wouldn’t want to see anyone chased away.

Maybe a separate pisstake thread is necessary so that semi-sensible SAFC discussions can take place :) 

2 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

I don't agree with the whole PIF / State Ownership and the same goes for other clubs involved but it is what it is now.

Out of interest, why do you not "agree with" this?

It is, whether we like it or not, the full and well established future of very top level football.

We either join in (which we have) or sit there in permanent nothingness.

I know what I prefer, I never think about it now, "it is us / we are it" ALL one thing, with a V E R Y exciting future for us.

16 minutes ago, manorpark said:

It is, whether we like it or not, the full and well established future of very top level football.

I know what I prefer, I never think about it now, "it is us / we are it" ALL one thing, with a V E R Y exciting future for us.

As a general principle, it being a bad thing seems difficult to dispute to me.  We also wouldn’t need it if others had not been funded in a similar way. 

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

As a general principle, it being a bad thing seems difficult to dispute to me.  We also wouldn’t need it if others had not been funded in a similar way. 

It is not a bad thing in any way !!

It is the most effective way of funding a large and successful football club. There is no dispute about that.

It is a 'more recent' way of doing things - but that (being newish) doesn't make it bad. Our world continually changes and THAT change has already happened.

1 hour ago, manorpark said:

It is not a bad thing in any way !!

It is the most effective way of funding a large and successful football club. There is no dispute about that.

It is a 'more recent' way of doing things - but that (being newish) doesn't make it bad. Our world continually changes and THAT change has already happened.

Human rights abusing dictatorships using their slush funds to buy foreign football clubs is pretty much the definition of a bad thing for me.

I can’t be arsed with the moralising from other supporters though - as if they’d do owt different.  And the sport has changed, so this stuff occurs (though the PL did change the rules in April, which will potentially stop future similar takeovers)

2 hours ago, manorpark said:

Do I really need to explain why I don't agree with football clubs being state run / owned?

1 minute ago, TeddySAFC said:

Do I really need to explain why I don't agree with football clubs being state run / owned?

No. I don't agree with it either, but that's football these days, you are either on the inside, or you are outside looking in. I prefer being inside and being able to compete, but agree would be better if clubs weren't state owned.

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

No. I don't agree with it either, but that's football these days, you are either on the inside, or you are outside looking in. I prefer being inside and being able to compete, but agree would be better if clubs weren't state owned.

Fair.

41 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Fair.

As has been said . . . "you are either on the inside, or you are outside looking in. I prefer being inside and being able to compete".

Being on the inside is  G R E A T !!!

10 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

I agree with that. 

I had no say in Ashley, I had no say in this. When Steve Bruce was in charge I didn't see a path to us being sold at all. If we did I thought it would be some chancer. Still stand by the fact that when it went through I was actually overjoyed with relief at being rid of him rather than enticed by PIF. 

16 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

You had a League One standard plodder in Luke O'Nien as a 1st team regular last season man [emoji38]

Ah, So we are comparing O'Nien who played 95% of his games at centre half or right back, in a team that finished 6th, with Jeff Hendrick who was relegated with Reading and your stating Hendrick would get in our team [emoji38]

@TeddySAFC

You have yet again just finished lower than we have for over 30 years man, there’s NUFC fans in their 30s who have never seen us as low as the season you are all buzzing over. 

Whilst in our first season of been Ashley free we have just finished higher yet again than anything you have managed in over 70 years [emoji38] no shaming you lot man.

I remember all the deluded shouts sunderland fans aimed at us for years, as I’m guessing you all thought we were deluded as we thought we should be in Europe and it was only Ashley holding us back. Well, first season without him and we are straight back up in the top 6 and Europe again where we spent most our PL life pre Ashley.

Somewhere you never have been or never will be. 

Edited by Viewfromtheafternoon

1 hour ago, Viewfromtheafternoon said:

@TeddySAFC

You have yet again just finished lower than we have for over 30 years man, there’s NUFC fans in their 30s who have never seen us as low as the season you are all buzzing over. 

Whilst in our first season of been Ashley free we have just finished higher yet again than anything you have managed in over 70 years [emoji38] no shaming you lot man.

I remember all the deluded shouts sunderland fans aimed at us for years, as I’m guessing you all thought we were deluded as we thought we should be in Europe and it was only Ashley holding us back. Well, first season without him and we are straight back up in the top 6 and Europe again where we spent most our PL life pre Ashley.

Easy white chocolate, don’t want you to melt.

5 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Ah, So we are comparing O'Nien who played 95% of his games at centre half or right back, in a team that finished 6th, with Jeff Hendrick who was relegated with Reading and your stating Hendrick would get in our team [emoji38]

Yes he'd walk into your team. No doubt about it. Reading only got relegated due to a points deduction but even so just because a team finishes higher than another, it doesn't automatically mean that every single player in the higher placed team is better than every single player I'm the team that finished lower.

9 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Yes he'd walk into your team. No doubt about it. Reading only got relegated due to a points deduction but even so just because a team finishes higher than another, it doesn't automatically mean that every single player in the higher placed team is better than every single player I'm the team that finished lower.

No he wouldn't walk into our team, at all.

2 hours ago, Viewfromtheafternoon said:

@TeddySAFC

Who are you having a dig at here, not sure what your point is directing that at me?