sunderland

Big River

5 hours ago, Cattletrucked said:

A prick on there saying John Barnes got loads of banana’s thrown at him from us while he played for us. They just make shit up as they go along. I wish the Toon supporters who go on there would just come off and leave the stupid cunts to argue amongst themselves, pointless exercise trying to get a point across to stinking piles of shit. 

I can't remember it happening to Barnes but I wouldn't be surprised. Saw it happen a few times to players in the 80's including the monkey noises.

SJP was no bastion of human rights back then and regularly had BNP and NF handing out leaflets outside of the ground.

Having said that it was one of the first clubs/grounds to clean up it's act around racism.

6 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I can't remember it happening to Barnes but I wouldn't be surprised. Saw it happen a few times to players in the 80's including the monkey noises.

SJP was no bastion of human rights back then and regularly had BNP and NF handing out leaflets outside of the ground.

Having said that it was one of the first clubs/grounds to clean up it's act around racism.

Didn't happen when he was playing for us, don't think it happened when he was playing for Liverpool. Can't remember him playing up here for Watford but it did happen to others, usually banana not bananas for a short spell early 80s 

3 hours ago, madras said:

Didn't happen when he was playing for us, don't think it happened when he was playing for Liverpool. Can't remember him playing up here for Watford but it did happen to others, usually banana not bananas for a short spell early 80s 

I didn’t mean then that was late 90’s. There plenty of games where it was bananas and the monkey noises were around late 80’s

6 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I didn’t mean then that was late 90’s. There plenty of games where it was bananas and the monkey noises were around late 80’s

I can remember the monkey noises and chants at SJP - can’t remember bananas being thrown though.  Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, just have no recollection myself.

Monkey noises are abysmal enough, like.

Last time I remember seeing anything overtly horrific was away to Leeds in 2003 - there was a badge seller selling NF wank. 

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I can remember the monkey noises and chants at SJP - can’t remember bananas being thrown though.  Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, just have no recollection myself.

Last time I remember seeing anything overtly horrific was away to Leeds in 2003 - there was a badge seller selling NF wank. 

Yeah Leeds was really bad for it. I remember the NF stuff going on there for a while. Shit location and a nightmare for away fans

Had a friend who moved up here from Leeds back in year nine (2003 ish). He still had friends down Leeds so would travel between here and there, never mentioned anything about racist beliefs around us but one day decided to post a picture of him and a few of his mates doing nazi salutes at Elland road. This was around 2010-2011.

22 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I remember at least one banana being thrown at SJP. Fairly sure it was at Bobby Barnes early  to mid 80s. There were plenty of the Monkey chants and other shit later on.

21 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Yeah Leeds was really bad for it. I remember the NF stuff going on there for a while. Shit location and a nightmare for away fans

I remember the NF selling there paper (Bulldog ?) at the back of the Leazes early to mid 80s. I'd like to say they were scattered but they werent, they just seemed to drift away through lack of interest.

Edited by madras

12 minutes ago, madras said:

I remember at least one banana being thrown at SJP. Fairly sure it was at Bobby Barnes early  to mid 80s. There were plenty of the Monkey chants and other shit later on.

Christ, it’s fucking bleak stuff.

I was just a kid but I remember the chants and found them scary at the time

6 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Aye I’m not denying that shit like that happened in the late 70’s into the 80’s, everywhere, disgustingly, but when you had the likes of Alf Garnett on tv and much more, it was hardly discouraged. I was just referring to that one point about John Barnes while he played for us. Lies. 

Apparently on Cole's first appearance at the landfill (as a sub) a voice was heard from the Gallowgate - "Jeezas, he's black!"

Worth mentioning at this point that Cole started his first home game for us. 

Grumpy Lying Man.

13 hours ago, Cattletrucked said:

A prick on there saying John Barnes got loads of banana’s thrown at him from us while he played for us. They just make shit up as they go along. I wish the Toon supporters who go on there would just come off and leave the stupid cunts to argue amongst themselves, pointless exercise trying to get a point across to stinking piles of shit. 

That did happen, during his Watford days. Also saw it happen to Bobby Barnes of West Ham. :( I also remember seeing NF skinheads trying to peddle their filth outside the Gallowgate End.

St James wasn't a welcoming place at all to black players, during the 1980's, There's a game on You Tube (a 4-0 win v West Ham in 86), where George Parris was getting monkey noises his way every time he tough the ball. Desperate stuff. :thdn:

Edited by Big Geordie

8 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

That did happen, during his Watford days. Also saw it happen to Bobby Barnes of West Ham. :( I also remember seeing NF skinheads trying to peddle their filth outside the Gallowgate End.

St James wasn't a welcoming place at all to black players, during the 1980's, There's a game on You Tube (a 4-0 win v West Ham in 86), where George Parris was getting monkey noises his way every time he tough the ball. Desperate stuff. :thdn:

Yes I’m not denying bad shit happened. All I said was that John Barnes didn’t get pelted with bananas when he played for us, which was the claim on the scum bags message board. 

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Worth mentioning at this point that Cole started his first home game for us. 

Grumpy Lying Man.

Really needed to use Franz Carr for that story since we'd had him for over a year by then but that would get in the way of a more sensationalist one.

Cole got booed coming on as sub at Swindon by Swindon fans because he was former Bristol City player and they're rivals - he's probably going off that and either deliberately twisting it or its been twisted as the story was passed around mackem dive to mackem dive.

This is where the "Kelly scored an own-goal to keep yiz up" (even a very reasonable mackem I worked with was lead to believe this) myths are made.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Regardless of whether there’s even a sliver of truth or not in anything they’re saying, it’s genuinely hilarious they’re getting on their high horse about anti-black racism. Their players had to stop taking the knee because of their support ffs :lol:

8 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I never witnessed or heard of any banana’s being thrown at John Barnes.Sorry if this surprises you.