Newcastle United Women 4-0 Alnwick Town (01/05/2022)

Decky

Athletics in general bridges the divide. Swimming? You’re right, it is an odd one though.  I just look at skill and athletic  performance tbh and I can’t imagine getting more from a son playing a sport than a daughter 

Not going to lie although the scenes at the weekend were great to see especially for the lasses involved I can see issues down the line and think they should be a complete different entity and independent club.  Already people are saying they should have equal facilities to the men who are playing at an elite level when they aren't even full professionals, years down the line are people going to be asking why they aren't receiving the same level of investment as the mens team in terms of player transfers, coaching, medical care and travel etc? Or even pay? 

13 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Not going to lie although the scenes at the weekend were great to see especially for the lasses involved I can see issues down the line and think they should be a complete different entity and independent club.  Already people are saying they should have equal facilities to the men who are playing at an elite level when they aren't even full professionals, years down the line are people going to be asking why they aren't receiving the same level of investment as the mens team in terms of player transfers, coaching, medical care and travel etc? Or even pay? 

Such as...?

3 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

I'm not sure but I can see it happening further down the line.

So we should oppress them now, in case their game becomes successful and they start to expect better facilities and pay?

Makes sense tbf. Let them vote and now they’re playing football. Whatever next.

5 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

I'm not sure but I can see it happening further down the line.

Right well let me answer for you - no it hasn't. The highest paid womens footballer that I can find is on about £7k/week.

So your reasoning for completely cutting off the womens team is something that might happen in the future? And you're basing your theory that this might happen on...what?

I'm sure it's not your intention so please clarify if I'm wrong but your post implies an element of "don't let these uppity women get ideas above their station..."

Edited by Keegans Export

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

So we should oppress them now, in case their game becomes successful and they start to expect better facilities and pay?

Makes sense tbf. Let them vote and now they’re playing football. Whatever next.

Thanks for proving my point, it will get turned into a gender equality issue when it isn't really fair to do so in this field. No one said anything about oppressing them, of course they shouldn't have the same level of facilities as the men who play at the highest level in world sport in the most popular league in the world when they aren't even full professionals.  They won't even need those facilities at the minute the money would be better off invested in grass roots women's football gaining exposure and getting more lasses playing in the first place.

Edited by WillingtonMag

5 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Right well let me answer for you - no it hasn't. The highest paid womens footballer that I can find is on about £7k/week.

So your reasoning for completely cutting off the womens team is something that might happen in the future? And you're basing your theory on...what?

I'm sure it's not your intention so please clarify if I'm wrong but your post implies an element of "don't let these uppity women get ideas above their station..."

I said I think they should be an independent club and team and I've give the reasons why, I'm not saying cut off women's football it is somthing the club should still invest in.

2 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Thanks for proving my point, it will get turned into a gender equality issue when it isn't really fair to do so in this field. No one said anything about oppressing them, of course they shouldn't have the same level of facilities as the men who play at the highest level in world sport in the most popular league in the world when they aren't even full professionals.  They won't even need those facilities at the minute the money would be better off invested in grass roots women's football gaining exposure and getting more lasses playing in the first place.

I don't 'need' the facilities that the gym at work has, but shockingly, work still let's me use them!

1 minute ago, iklgizmo said:

I don't 'need' the facilities that the gym at work has, but shockingly, work still let's me use them!

I hope you’re a full award winning body builder if you’re using those facilities.

Anyone with a dad bod hoping to achieve something better get themselves in line and realise they shouldn’t be using those facilities yet. Need to lift the baked beans at home first.

59 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What other sports get the same coverage on TV and people don’t complain about the difference in quality?

Tennis, for example, people can watch both male and females play tennis and not get upset by the difference.

I can’t really think of any others. What makes tennis such an outlier to everything else?

I guess one of the main reason is that the biggest and most popular events (the slams) have been pretty much joint events for years and years, that it becomes far more normal the more you are exposed to it. If you watch Wimbledon on BBC1 or 2 there will be a near enough equal amount of men's and women's matches featured each day, same with Roland Garros on ITV4. If Annabel Croft or Sam Smith commentates on a men's match, nobody would bat an eye lid, likewise if two blokes were commentating on a women's match, and that normality gives the women the platform to potentially be as big a name as the men's. If you asked general sports fans on the street (who didn't know much about tennis) to name 10 active tennis players then I'd imagine most would probably name 4 women, which is pretty crazy when you think about it, and wouldn't really happen in any other sport.

Athletics benefits from the same situation whereby their biggest events like the Olympics and World Championships have all competitors in the same venue, and shared TV coverage, and again, the platform for big names and stars to emerge, e.g. Jessica Ennis arguably being the main attraction at the athletics in 2012.

There's probably still a bit of stigma with women's boxing, but that is getting pushed more and more now, and most UK cards these days have a women's fight now, often well up the card, or even headlining, and while some will still complain, the more this is pushed and featured, the more normal that will become and be more widely accepted, a bit like the UFC who have also had big name stars over the years.

Just now, WillingtonMag said:

I said I think they should be an independent club and team and I've give the reasons why, I'm not saying cut off women's football it is somthing the club should still invest in.

You said "they should be a complete different entity" tbf 

Your only argument against having a top quality training facility for them is that they dont need it now. Right, fair enough. But firstly, this thing is going to take years to put together, so who knows what level they'll be at in 3, 4, 5 years time.

Secondly, even if they dont need it, why not just build it anyway? What difference does it make? Our owners are worth billions. They're going to invest a vast sum of money in a state-of-the-art training facility. Why not spend a few quid giving the womens team their own space within the facility? 

Whether you like it or not, women's football is becoming more and more popular globally and in this country. There's a long way to go for sure but the growth is there. Why not make sure we're front and centre of that?

24 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

But surely investing in our women’s facilities will do exactly that and “get more lasses playing” at a better level with better facilities and therefore enhancing their game?

If Gateshead built a new state of the art training facility after receiving huge investment, should they be told off because that’s not their level? Or would people be happy at their aspirations to improve?

Your justification of “give them class facilities and they’ll expect more” is mental. Even if they did, so what? 

1 hour ago, WillingtonMag said:

Not only does this not happen, it will never happen whilst there is a disparity between the matchday / sponsorship / TV etc revenues.  I can't see why this would be a problem if the women's game grows - nor why it would be a problem if the women's game did.  It is unlikely to grow if the stranglehold you're proposing was applied.  It is worth remembering that one of the reasons women's football never grew in the first place was that the FA (and the wider game) strangled the women's game and banned it for half a century.  I think the clubs have a moral duty to try to repair decades of damage.

Remember, a football club is meant to be a club.  This is accepted as standard on the continent and increasingly in the UK.  Of course there should be an NUFC women's team - as well as the same youth teams etc as those for the men / boys.

2 hours ago, Yassassin said:

Just watching Arsenal v Spurs in the WSL and wondering how many of their players could tempted by the prospect of playing in front of bigger crowds

Not a chance they would drip.down to the 4th tier. Our best vet at the moment is to start attracting the best players in the region rather than them having to go to Sunderland or Durham.

If we can get up to the championship there is a chance we could attract better players, its sort of what Man U did a few season ago

The Championship is a really competitive league now, so the expectation of back to back promotions 3 years in a row and then finish top 3 to get into the champions league in their first season in the WSL is a bit wild from the owners!

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

But surely investing in our women’s facilities will do exactly that and “get more lasses playing” at a better level with better facilities and therefore enhancing their game?

If Gateshead built a new state of the art training facility after receiving huge investment, should they be told off because that’s not their level? Or would people be happy at their aspirations to improve?

Your justification of “give them class facilities and they’ll expect more” is mental. Even if they did, so what? 

Because the justification for the investment is the finances in the mens game and the amount of money it brings in, womens football needs to prove to have a level of sustained financial viability before just throwing money at it in my opinion.

Just now, WillingtonMag said:

Because the justification for the investment is the finances in the mens game and the amount of money it brings in, womens football needs to prove to have a level of sustained financial viability before just throwing money at it in my opinion.

Are you seriously trying to suggest the men’s game has financial viability? :lol: 

A quite frankly ridiculous post.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Are you seriously trying to suggest the men’s game has financial viability? :lol: 

A quite frankly ridiculous post.

The money in the game is absolutely massive TV money, sponsorship etc ..look at the selling price of Chelsea right now.

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

The money in the game is absolutely massive TV money, sponsorship etc ..look at the selling price of Chelsea right now.

Yes. All of which has been manufactured by huge investments into clubs that are not financially viable on their own.

Put the same money into the women’s game and you’ll get similar results. Your point is ridiculous.

We shouldn’t invest in the women’s game because they’re not good enough. But the men’s game is only good enough because of the investment it’s had.

Your Chelsea example being one of the biggest example of this.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Yes. All of which has been manufactured by huge investments into clubs that are not financially viable on their own.

Put the same money into the women’s game and you’ll get similar results. Your point is ridiculous.

We shouldn’t invest in the women’s game because they’re not good enough. But the men’s game is only good enough because of the investment it’s had.

Your Chelsea example being one of the biggest example of this.

The mens game has been grown over 100 years though, no you won't get similar results with the woman's game because the interest in it from the public isn't their yet and untill then it won't be profitable as hard as sky etc try to promote it.

4 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

The mens game has been grown over 100 years though, no you won't get similar results with the woman's game because the interest in it from the public isn't their yet and untill then it won't be profitable as hard as sky etc try to promote it.

But it has to start somewhere, doesn’t it? So why not now?

And the interest will correlate with the investment, improvement in facilities and improvement in quality. They’re all intrinsically linked.

The interest in Man City “wasn’t there yet” until they got a mighty windfall of investment. Why is that okay? Those pesky Man City lot should have had to prove themselves of being good enough consistently over years before they were financed, according to your wild theory.

You’ve still not answered why it would be a problem of any kind if they had good facilities.

Edited by Fantail Breeze