Newcastle United Women 4-0 Alnwick Town (01/05/2022)

Decky

https://www.nufc.co.uk/matches/nuw-matches/2021-22/newcastle-united-women-v-alnwick-town-ladies-sjp/

7 minute Highlights. Good stuff. The impact of seeing the pathways are open for women and there is something to aspire to for those girls watching in Newcastle shirts cant be understated. Not least that it was well supported. NUWFC has some really young players too which makes it that much more relevant and relatable. Huge moment in the history of the club and women's football in the NE.

Guest HTT II

Spoke to one or two involved and they said it was the best day in their life and to have their whole family there was extra special too. Amazing scenes and Wor Flags again man, fucking class what they’ve done to the atmosphere and how their presence has invigorated the fans, the city, the team/s and how everyone now sees NUFC on a match day, be it the men’s team or the women’s team. The feel good factor right now is off the chart and we are sitting 10th and our women’s team are in the 4th tier!

Guest HTT II
6 hours ago, Nun tumblers said:

Unbelivevle....3grandsons season ticket holders.

One grandaughter season ticket holder another grandaughter at the academdy.

Ive got about 4- 6 month left .

Ashley you complete knacker.

May god hsve mercy on ya soul.

Eas it worth it .

To live?

Just now, Stifler said:

I think this is actually the opposite of what we should do.

We should have one mega campus for all our teams.

Our academy could even have it’s own school for the kids, so instead of getting an outside education and coming to the academy for an hour or so at the end of the day, they are all together.

We are all Newcastle United, and non part should be left out and off to another site. Ok so the academy and woman's team may need their own smaller stadium, but training, rehabilitation etc should all be under one roof. 

agree , all as one 

Guest HTT II
24 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I think this is actually the opposite of what we should do.

We should have one mega campus for all our teams.

Our academy could even have it’s own school for the kids, so instead of getting an outside education and coming to the academy for an hour or so at the end of the day, they are all together.

We are all Newcastle United, and non part should be left out and off to another site. Ok so the academy and woman's team may need their own smaller stadium, but training, rehabilitation etc should all be under one roof. 

Agreed, but I think the owners want separation (ha ha) between the two teams and even the academy. It should all be under the one roof so to speak so hopefully that will happen. 

12 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I think having their own specific training space (and academy) could actually be beneficial, as long as the standard of the facility is comparable to the blokes. 

They are in the 4th tier of the women's game the facilities don't need to be comparable to the blokes who are playing at the highest level in the world. As long as the facilities are good for the level they are at its fine and can be improved as they grow.

Guest HTT II

I think the plan/s are to have 3 hubs. One for the men’s team, one for the women’s and one for academy kids. I also know NUFC have held talks with grassroots clubs and the council to invest in a ‘neutral’ sporting hub within the city for footy, basketball and other sports.

3 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

They are in the 4th tier of the women's game the facilities don't need to be comparable to the blokes who are playing at the highest level in the world. As long as the facilities are good for the level they are at its fine and can be improved as they grow.

I'd disagree there for two reasons - firstly, any new training facility is going to take years, who knows which tier they will be in by then? Secondly, both women's football and infrastructure spending is exempt from FFP calculations, we've got the money so why not aim for the best across the board? Why save a few quid buying some slightly inferior equipment (which, by your own admission you're going to want to replace down the line anyway) when we could make a statement about how seriously we are taking every element of Newcastle United? 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

I'd disagree there for two reasons - firstly, any new training facility is going to take years, who knows which tier they will be in by then? Secondly, both women's football and infrastructure spending is exempt from FFP calculations, we've got the money so why not aim for the best across the board? Why save a few quid buying some slightly inferior equipment (which, by your own admission you're going to want to replace down the line anyway) when we could make a statement about how seriously we are taking every element of Newcastle United? 

They have big plans for the women’s team and sport in the region, I can see them investing massively. My boy plays at various footy hubs here in Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham and Boro and those facilities are top notch for grassroots footy and real money makers. My boy currently plays at the race course footy place on Sunday’s for his Sunday team, I’ve been told the Reubens who own it plan to add more pitches and invest in more hubs, there and elsewhere, aided by NUFC money. 

3 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Apparently to get the mens facilities  up to the standard of the top clubs in the Premier league is going to take a massive investment in itself a lot of money and planning. I just don't think the women's game is anywhere near needing that level of investment at this moment in time. The money could probably be put to better use in other aspects of women's football untill it grows a bit.

Guest HTT II

Sadly NUFC’s women’s footy is a loss making venture! But again, from what I’ve heard, they want our women’s team to be the best in the world and I’ve recently learned NUFC plan on sending academy kids as young as 8 to major international tournaments at that age groups which under Ashley we didn’t do because it cost too much. Exciting times for our club and every play involved from a 6 year old to the lasses to the senior team.

Edited by HTT II

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

I think there are still rules in place for spending in the women's game, but as always, ways of getting around them.

There doesn't tend to be high fees at the moment, but the rules are more around the wages on offer.

Chelsea definitely found a few loopholes when they signed Sam Kerr!

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Sadly NUFC’s women’s footy is a loss making venture! But again, from what I’ve heard, they want our women’s team to be the best in the world and I’ve recently learned NUFC plan on sending academy kids as young as 8 to major international tournaments at that age groups which under Ashley we didn’t do because it cost too much. Exciting times for our club and every play involved from a 6 year old to the lasses to the senior team.

In fairness, pretty sure all of football is a loss making venture. Unless you have those top tier accountants.

19 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

In fairness, pretty sure all of football is a loss making venture. Unless you have those top tier accountants.

The finances in the mens game are massive though obviously with sponsorship and TV money which still plays a part in funding these things. Would think the women's game brings in next to nothing currently.

Edited by WillingtonMag

Guest HTT II
34 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

The men’s game males money though, the women’s team doesn’t. 

47 minutes ago, HTT II said:

The men’s game males money though, the women’s team doesn’t. 

The women's game in this country has only been professional for a few years, and its only the top league which is professional.

You can't compare them to the men's game now and assume they should be making the same kind of money!

Same goes for the 'standard' of the game. Even most of the England Womens team will have spent a good chunk of their careers paying subs, and training just twice a week. The training they will have received is not comparable!

Invest now, give people the same level of coaching and equal facilities, and then see what could happen!

Edited by iklgizmo

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, iklgizmo said:

The women's game in this country has only been professional for a few years, and its only the top league which is professional.

You can't compare them to the men's game now and assume they should be making the same kind of money!

Same goes for the 'standard' of the game. Even most of the England Womens team will have spent a good chunk of their careers paying subs, and training just twice a week. The training they will have received is not comparable!

Invest now, give people the same level of coaching and equal facilities, and then see what could happen!

I’m not comparing the two, I’m saying in order for women’s football to succeed it needs to start making some money, even if a club makes losses like all men’s football generally does, money still needs to come in. And I agree with your final point totally, it’s the only way.

Edited by HTT II

6 hours ago, HTT II said:

Spoke to one or two involved and they said it was the best day in their life and to have their whole family there was extra special too. Amazing scenes and Wor Flags again man, fucking class what they’ve done to the atmosphere and how their presence has invigorated the fans, the city, the team/s and how everyone now sees NUFC on a match day, be it the men’s team or the women’s team. The feel good factor right now is off the chart and we are sitting 10th and our women’s team are in the 4th tier!

That's a step up from Manchester City, who play at the Academy Stadium (which is used for their matches and the men's senior Academy games). This is just about the gold standard in the WSL. Many teams still play at dog-end grounds they rent from other teams, even if they are afilliated to Premier teams.. To have a dedicated stadium (as part of a complex perhaps) would be a real statement in the women's game. City have got a lot of flack for using that stadium in the Euros (because it is small and used for the men's games as well - i.e. a bit of an afterthought). I don't agree really but it would be great not to be an 'after thought'.

Guest HTT II

I think they need their own facilities and even a ground to play at so they can be their own team if that makes sense, because they are a separate team. They need to be their own club, even if they are still NUFC. They need that level of support, stature and long-term future so they can stand alone and become a great team and club away from the men’s team. The women’s game needs that too.

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think they need their own facilities and even a ground to play at so they can be their own team if that makes sense, because they are a separate team. They need to be their own club, even if they are still NUFC. They need that level of support, stature and long-term future so they can stand alone and become a great team and club away from the men’s team. The women’s game needs that too.

Build a sports city on the arena site with luxury hotel and new events space, encompass academy and women's football, Falcons (if they want to move from KP - doubt), Eagles etc. Keep the men at SJP. Send me some money for commission on the idea.

What other sports get the same coverage on TV and people don’t complain about the difference in quality?

Tennis, for example, people can watch both male and females play tennis and not get upset by the difference.

I can’t really think of any others. What makes tennis such an outlier to everything else?