Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

Couldn’t give a single fuck. Nice reminder to the hierarchy that the youth needs work and improvement. Season finally finally done. Roll on summer transfers. 

1 hour ago, Myleftboot said:

Probably covered Dummetts and Ritchies wages for the year.

When you put it that way.... getting the football clubs name tarnished just to keep players we don't even need/want 

15 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Are the best kids not in Hong Kong for a 7 aside tournament? 

Yep, and even they weren't ready for being on our bench this season. 

Just now, Boey_Jarton said:

Nope but they have connected Shearer's negative comments on match of the day to this result to create some sort of "told you so" narrative 

Pomp and sanctimony, Auntie at her finest.

3 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Apparently some people paid 700 dollars for that match this morning. 

Hopefully a lot of bad press coming our way as that it taking the piss.

Shocking if true, feel sorry for the person. Just imagine being a young Aussie, who supports Newcastle and then watching that.

59 minutes ago, Boey_Jarton said:

Nope but they have connected Shearer's negative comments on match of the day to this result to create some sort of "told you so" narrative 

Typical BBC the most anachronistic of organisations

7 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Apparently some people paid 700 dollars for that match this morning. 

Why? Club didn’t force anybody to pay 700 dollars for that. Tickets were 59 AUD

9 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I don't understand why people care so much.

It's the general principle of it; flying to the other side of the world immediately after the regular season had ended to 'raise the profile of the club' or whatever justification was given to play to pointless friendlies that most don't care about. One of which we put a team of kids out in to lose 8-0 to avoid injuries. Some profile raising, that. At least we got rid of those injury magnetic FA Cup replays, though.

18 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Our way? Why? For organising 2 friendlies the other side of the world within a wek of the final day of the season? A month before an international competition where a lot of our players will be playing? Should have played the kids both games imo. Fuck em. 

Posted (edited)

Feels like as we're going to the right hand side of the world for some preseason friendlies anyway, could have done this as part of preseason, though obviously there's probably some accounting shenanigans involved to raise cash by June.

Edited by Checko

Posted (edited)

The main point of the games was to increase our profile (I believe). We were there for 2 games. We effectively turned up for a kick around with first teamers against Spurs and then we have completely stuck 2 fingers up in the second game.

It’s not a good look and I’d have been pissed off and frankly been a little embarrassed as a paying Newcastle fan. If I was an Aussie looking for a side to support and had paid for that, we’d now be bottom of my list. We’d have been better off doing a meet and greet with the players still there and forego whatever we were paid for the second game.

Edited by Tsunami

I thought the whole thing was stupid from the get-go, but we're walking away from it injury free. If you traveled for that, def sorry you paid to see that...if you're a functioning human who is a newcastle supportor you see the bigger picture -- few million for the club, no injuries, sorted. move on., 

It's a big country. Expect some people flew in from different parts and booked accomodation and are taking that into account. Australian fans who wake up at 3 or 5 in the morning sometimes to watch the matches for years are fully right to feel disappointed at seeing the most senior player be Mark Gillespie when they go to watch a newcastle united showmatch.[emoji38]

He's right. I don't think any NUFC supporter was a fan of this trip; I think we all just wanted them to not pick up some stupid injury. Which it seems like they haven't. So get over it ffs. 

Even if the youth team was good the fans would have come for Newcastle United.

we had enough in the squad to play 7 seniors in each match.