Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

6 hours ago, Holmesy said:

He's one of the best players of all time. He turned up in the big international tournaments, the Champions League and he royally took the piss domestically. He was unplayable. I know opinions are like arseholes mate, but your arsehole must stink

I didn’t say he was shite, I just don’t think he was the world’s greatest player at that time.  And by turning up, I don’t mean in tournaments - I mean in decisive matches.  Zidane’s greatest moments came in finals.  As I said, I’m expecting to be in a minority of one. 

I’ll never understand people chucking out ad hominems because someone has a different view on a footballer.

John Terry is a bit of a weird one. I have absolutely no memory of him until he seemed to suddenly appear at about age 24 in the Chelsea defence and was immediately lauded as being really great. I had never heard of him, either as an up and coming prospect, regular on the subs bench or having periods of cover for some more established player. I can't even remember a loan report of him out at some local lower league club. To me, it felt like he literally just appeared out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, Stal said:

John Terry is a bit of a weird one. I have absolutely no memory of him until he seemed to suddenly appear at about age 24 in the Chelsea defence and was immediately lauded as being really great. I had never heard of him, either as an up and coming prospect, regular on the subs bench or having periods of cover for some more established player. I can't even remember a loan report of him out at some local lower league club. To me, it felt like he literally just appeared out of nowhere.

I'm sorry for targeting you but he had like ~130 PL appearances for Chelsea before turning 24. :lol:

9 hours ago, Pata said:

I'm sorry for targeting you but he had like ~130 PL appearances for Chelsea before turning 24. :lol:

😊 Don't worry about that, I'm always happy to learn.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

Terry is the best defender in PL history for me like. No pace but he was so good at reading the game he didn't need it.

What is this alternate universe where Van Dijk is not lauded as the best central defender not just in PL history, but the history of world football! How dare you even suggest anyone is better than him!

I quite agree though. Terry was fantastic, despite being a racist pig. Him and Carvalho being central to a defence that only conceded 15 (I think) over 38 games is crazy.

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Terry is the best defender in PL history for me like. No pace but he was so good at reading the game he didn't need it.

Always played in medium to low block teams that protected him. Always had a partner alongside him that greatly benefitted his style of play.

But he was a top, top player and under-rated by fans on the ball.

I think Rio & Sol could play for Guardiola and Klopp. So I have them above Terry.

Sol Campbell was slightly under-rated too. He could really play on the ball too. Was a leader on the pitch, Massive weirdo though.

Van Dijk's arguably the best CB i've ever seen tbf. A lot of it is tactical because the plan involves leaving him 1v1. 

Fast, trickery opposition players don't want to see him 1v1 on the half way line. That's crazy. His intimidation to the opposition is crazy.

Deep defending is a piece of cake. Leadership. On the ball. Everything.

Edited by The College Dropout

Guest ManDoon
13 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He did benefit from the best CB of the PL era next to him, and arguably the two best DMs ahead of him like 

Just now, ManDoon said:

Carvalho >> Terry imo. Ledley King was overrated due to his injuries imo

I have absolutely no evidence for it, but rating Carvalho over Terry feels like a very football hipster thing to do :lol:, not that I'm accusing you of that like. 

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Terry was absolutely class regardless of who he played alongside or who he had in front of him tbf to the horrible twat. 

Aye but stick you next to Carvalho and  Makalele/Essien and Mou in charge and I reckon you’d have a decent season. He’s a very good defender but not an all time great for me. Nowhere near the likes of Nesta, prime Desailly etc

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I have absolutely no evidence for it, but rating Carvalho over Terry feels like a very football hipster thing to do :lol:, not that I'm accusing you of that like. 

:lol: nah I get that, they are very opposing players. Carvalho is all class and cool and Terry is basically brexit. Carvalho was just an incredible defender imo. 

12 hours ago, Stal said:

In your defence, there wasn't the micro-focus there was now on any player who has a decent game. If a wonderkid has a good game now, it goes viral all over social media - 'remember the name'.

Didn't really have that in the early 00s, outside of the UCL regulars. 

Guest ManDoon

Ronaldinho at his absolute best, was better than Messi imo. In terms of pure ability, people forget who pacey and physical he was. His passing was absurd as well

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Sol Campbell. He's mentioned it a few times that he found him really easy to play against, could push him around, outsmart him etc. 

Shearer scored 1 goal in 8 apps against Campbell's Arsenal team in the PL.

I think Shearer had a much better record against a young Sol in a Spurs shirt which is leading his judgement.