Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

Nesta is one of those players that's in everyone's list.

For me he's one of those I only ever saw on those big CL nights or in International competitions and he was every bit as good as his reputation suggested.

I remember thinking "what's all this noise about this Seedorf fella?" And he just had everything. You never really saw such a clean technician in the PL at CM those days. Looked like he was built of granite. Controllling balls dead that came at him at weird angles. Silkiness on the ball like a 10. Pass it short, one touch, long, all there.

I love a skilful, powerful, quick central midfielder. Very rare. I always thought Pogba was a spiritual successor, Camavinga too.

Guest ManDoon

Prob was a very early version of the ball playing CB we see today imo. Classiest defender I reckon I’ve ever seen.

Guest ManDoon
3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Best CB I’ve ever seen. Had it all.

Aye, agree. Never seen anything like him since 

Just now, Disco said:

Always thought Figo was a bit overrated despite his career.

I thought he was class, but he was definitely part of that group of the world's best players around the turn of the century that were a level below the best players that came before and after them. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I thought he was class, but he was definitely part of that group of the world's best players around the turn of the century that were a level below the best players that came before and after them. 

Maybe it’s because his transfer was such a big deal and he was more practical than he was showy as a player but I never really got hugely into him. Class goal against England though. 

Always thought Rui Costa was the better play of that generation of Portuguese albeit that’s based solely on highlights so probably not the best base. 

Guest ManDoon
14 minutes ago, Disco said:

Always thought Figo was a bit overrated despite his career.

Agree, he was good but I think he was overrated. 

15 minutes ago, Disco said:

Maybe it’s because his transfer was such a big deal and he was more practical than he was showy as a player but I never really got hugely into him. Class goal against England though. 

Always thought Rui Costa was the better play of that generation of Portuguese albeit that’s based solely on highlights so probably not the best base. 

I agree, I think it's probably part of why I think Rui Costa was criminally underrated

On 11/05/2022 at 12:41, The College Dropout said:

Van Dijk's arguably the best CB i've ever seen tbf. A lot of it is tactical because the plan involves leaving him 1v1. 

Fast, trickery opposition players don't want to see him 1v1 on the half way line. That's crazy. His intimidation to the opposition is crazy.

Deep defending is a piece of cake. Leadership. On the ball. Everything.

Agree with that about Van Dijk. You know in those situations he’s going to win. Backs himself so much.

On 11/05/2022 at 12:25, ManDoon said:

Nesta is the best I’ve ever seen personally. He was imperious. 

Got to see him play for Montreal in his twilight years. Well past his best by that point, but still a delight to watch.

On 10/05/2022 at 20:07, Astroblack said:

I remember watching Wilfred Zaha’s first ever game for Man Utd and he was going one on one with Terry. I was thinking to myself “this is it, the end of John Terry” and Terry easily took the ball off him and Zaha was never seen in a Man Utd shirt again. 

Wayne Rooney regularly cites John Terry as the best defender he’s ever played against and many other players do, too. 

Feel like in a few years, people are going to start saying Vidic was better than Rio, Matip better than Van Dijk and Otamendi better than Kompany just to be controversial. 

Think it's the opposite with Ferdinand and Vidic. Vidic was seen as better at the time

4 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

More generally, do we overrate attacking players relative to defenders?

Absolutely. Look how few have won individual awards. Totally understandable though as very few watch football for the defending.

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Think it's just much harder to rate defenders because so much of it depends on the style of the team and his centre half partner

30 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

I don't think so personally like. I think I posted about this a few years ago, but I like seeing players being rewarded for how they play football rather than how they stop football from happening. 

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think so personally like. I think I posted about this a few years ago, but I like seeing players being rewarded for how they play football rather than how they stop football from happening. 

I think it’s interesting to wonder which players could’ve played any position on the pitch and still been outstanding. Messi would likely still be one of the best ever regardless of where he’d ended up (though maybe limited as a traditional CB due to his height).  

Would Maldini have made for a world class striker, for example?

Edited by Tomato Deuce