Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Shearer scored 1 goal in 8 apps against Campbell's Arsenal team in the PL.

I think Shearer had a much better record against a young Sol in a Spurs shirt which is leading his judgement.

Aye, but Sol played for the invincible Arsenal team :lol: Hardly fair to just pull that one stat out without any wider context and dismiss Shearer's opinion on an individual player. 

Guest ManDoon
4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Terry was an excellent last ditch defender, but have people forgotten Terry's reading of the game or something? I don't get it, he was an absolute master. 

No he was definitely good at it, but he also did expose himself to a lot of last ditch stuff.

Guest ManDoon
1 minute ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Totti was incredible. Lush player to watch 

Guest ManDoon

There was like a whole year of Soccer AM that was basically Ronaldinho highlights. In my top 3 easily 

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Terry was absolutely class regardless of who he played alongside or who he had in front of him tbf to the horrible twat. 

This is not true. Terry was never particularly impressive for England (less so than Ferdinand & Campbell). He didn't look good for good spells under AVB, RDM & Rafa because of his weakness on the turn.

Terry was a fantastic player and maybe under-rated by some football hipsters. But he had too many glaring weaknesses in his game to be considered the best anything.

There's a very good argument Carvalho was better than Terry. His exploits in Porto and in Madrid.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye, but Sol played for the invincible Arsenal team :lol: Hardly fair to just pull that one stat out without any wider context and dismiss Shearer's opinion on an individual player. 

We weren't a bad side for a lot of that era too.

I'm just saying Shearer's memories are likely shaped by Sol's earlier days at Tottenham. It's not like he consistently had Sol's number.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

This is not true. Terry was never particularly impressive for England (less so than Ferdinand & Campbell). He didn't look good for good spells under AVB, RDM & Rafa because of his weakness on the turn.

Terry was a fantastic player and maybe under-rated by some football hipsters. But he had too many glaring weaknesses in his game to be considered the best anything.

There's a very good argument Carvalho was better than Terry. His exploits in Porto and in Madrid.

This is just as much nonsense as the last time you were talking about England.

I agree with you about him generally only being great in a low block and it's absolutely fair enough to not rate him as the best, but the criticism I've seen about him not reading the game are just bizarre, he was absolutely incredible at it, which is why his weaknesses were very rarely exposed and why he's seen as one of the best in the PL era. 

Totti appraisals:

"A great player! What a phenomenon!"

— Lionel Messi 

"Totti is an artist of football, a true Number 10."

— Michel Platini

"Totti is immortal and he is a symbol of our sport. I only regret not having worked with him."

— Carlo Ancelotti

Ferguson tried to sign him at Manchester United too. 

Feel people maybe base their view on him on his late career European appearances with Roma who were often a poor match up for Elite European Clubs. The guys career is amazing and he won some prestigous awards in Italy when the standard of player was very high indeed. 

Guest ManDoon
6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It ended so quickly with Ronaldinho like. I went to Barca in 2007 and watched them against Almeria, he was honestly absolutely shocking. 

Yeah loved the party a bit too much, but man at his peak, he was absolutely unplayable. Like that’s used a lot but he genuinely couldn’t be stopped 

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Totti appraisals:

"A great player! What a phenomenon!"

— Lionel Messi 

"Totti is an artist of football, a true Number 10."

— Michel Platini

"Totti is immortal and he is a symbol of our sport. I only regret not having worked with him."

— Carlo Ancelotti

Ferguson tried to sign him at Manchester United too. 

Feel people maybe base their view on him on his late career European appearances with Roma who were often a poor match up for Elite European Clubs. The guys career is amazing and he won some prestigous awards in Italy when the standard of player was very high indeed. 

He was ridiculously good and had basically zero pace. All technique

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We weren't a bad side for a lot of that era too.

I'm just saying Shearer's memories are likely shaped by Sol's earlier days at Tottenham. It's not like he consistently had Sol's number.

Well you'd have to take it up with the man himself, he clearly thinks he did and didn't rate him all that highly. 

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah loved the party a bit too much, but man at his peak, he was absolutely unplayable. Like that’s used a lot but he genuinely couldn’t be stopped 

Ah god, I know, he was half the reason I went. In hindsight it was a pretty funny game in that I still ended up getting to the see the greatest player of all time come on and score a pen, I just didn't know it at the time. Unai Emery was managing Almeria then and Negredo was up front for them as well. 

You can't have watched the Ronaldinho era in real-time and say he was over-rated.

For about 3 years, he was the most electrifying man in sports entertainment. I've never seen a player that good and that entertaining. He was such much fun and so entertaining that people forget that he scored more freekicks than Beckham, Messi, Ronaldo etc... pretty much everyone except Juninho.

At his best he was everything the sport should be. Stepped up in big moments, entertaining, physical, technical, seemed a good sport and looked like he enjoyed himself. 

Guest ManDoon
Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Ah god, I know, he was half the reason I went. In hindsight it was a pretty funny game in that I still ended up getting to the see the greatest player of all time come on and score a pen, I just didn't know it at the time. Unai Emery was managing Almeria then and Negredo was up front for them as well. 

Negredo, damn that’s a throwback lol. Yeah it’s totally worth it, id give anything to have seen him on his absolute peak though, must have been crazy to watch @Village Idiotwill know. Imagine having watched R9, Messi, and Ronaldinho play for your team lol 

Terry's weaknesses were often exposed when not in a deep block.

But his reading of the game was great. When you're a deep block defender, inevitably you're going to have to make a lot of last ditch challenges and blocks because the danger is so imminent. You don't see VVD in those situations often because he's marching his team back up the pitch at the first opportunity. But with Terry, that low-block was often a lockdown of the game. He & Jose were so good at it. You weren't going over or through that low-block.... unless you did something special.

38 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I put him on the same level as Zidane, Zidane just had a more visible career. I don't think Totti has any regrets though like Big Al doesn't either.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Van Dijk's arguably the best CB i've ever seen tbf. A lot of it is tactical because the plan involves leaving him 1v1. 

Fast, trickery opposition players don't want to see him 1v1 on the half way line. That's crazy. His intimidation to the opposition is crazy.

Deep defending is a piece of cake. Leadership. On the ball. Everything.

Who is it that argues with you about the best defender you have seen?

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

You can't have watched the Ronaldinho era in real-time and say he was over-rated.

For about 3 years, he was the most electrifying man in sports entertainment. I've never seen a player that good and that entertaining. He was such much fun and so entertaining that people forget that he scored more freekicks than Beckham, Messi, Ronaldo etc... pretty much everyone except Juninho.

At his best he was everything the sport should be. Stepped up in big moments, entertaining, physical, technical, seemed a good sport and looked like he enjoyed himself. 

Spot on. He was a game changer at the highest level.