Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's incredibly poor from someone in that senior a position. We knew what we were getting into with him doing the same to Brighton though, he wasn't there that long, and it seems evident now that their success wasn't as down to him as we were lead to believe. 

Who led us to belive he was down to their success?

The narrative on Brighton is that Bloom is one of the best owners in the country. He continually hires top people (for their level) into his club. Ashworth being one of the smart hires. But Ashworth wasn't credited as being the mastermind.

A highly competent professional who can refine and implement a strategy.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Who led us to belive he was down to their success?

The narrative on Brighton is that Bloom is one of the best owners in the country. He continually hires top people (for their level) into his club. Ashworth being one of the smart hires. But Ashworth wasn't credited as being the mastermind.

A highly competent professional who can refine and implement a strategy.

He absolutely was like. He's constantly credited as being the mastermind behind England's upturn in recent years, then the mastermind behind the success of Brighton and especially their transfer dealings. In the media, among pundits, among journalists.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He absolutely was like. He's constantly credited as being the mastermind behind England's upturn in recent years, then the mastermind behind the success of Brighton and especially their transfer dealings. In the media, among pundits, among journalists.

There’s a football journalist drinks in my local who worked as a publicity type at West Brom the same time as Ashworth who says he was absolutely brilliant at what he does. 
We’ll be alright though. 

11 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Wish I had a job where I asked to leave and I got put on paid leave for months on end

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

It's fine for 3 months. Returning to work is a fucking nightmare if you don't keep up with all changes etc though. It's very easy to fall out of the loop.

52 minutes ago, madras said:

And yet I'd rather they won the title/Cup etc than Liverpool.

Kid during the 80's rather than 90's perchance? i sorta straddle both periods being born in '78 and as a consequnce have a pathological hatred of both of them

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

14 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

It's fine for 3 months. Returning to work is a fucking nightmare if you don't keep up with all changes etc though. It's very easy to fall out of the loop.

Would be truly terrible if Ashworth was out of the loop when he starts with Man Utd

hehe-hee.gif

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Kid during the 80's rather than 90's perchance? i sorta straddle both periods being born in '78 and as a consequnce have a pathological hatred of both of them

Kind of, more 70s. Born in 67. I tend to judge clubs by my interactions with their fans and Liverpool more than edge it.

4 hours ago, Froggy said:

What doesn't make sense? Since the Saudi's came in we've both spent around £400m have we not? That's despite us having 3x your revenue.

We desperately needed a striker and midfielder last January and couldn't afford it. Had to sign Weghorst and Sabitzer on loan.

We couldn't afford to buy Amrabat outright in the summer for 20 odd million and had to sign him on loan.

The notion that Newcastle are hamstrung by FFP and we aren't is nonsense. We can spend £150-200m each season, which is reasonable given our turnover.

You’ve done this before and I know you’re probably trolling, but come on.

Two years ago Man United’s wage bill was more than double Newcastle’s. After you were “hamstrung by FFP” it was reduced to £331m, still £144m more than NUFC’s.

Also, since you only like to discuss transfer fees, I’m sure you saw the UEFA report that said Man United had assembled the most expensive squad of all time. Newcastle appeared in that report as well, almost £1 billion pounds behind.

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

Man Utd fans were glory hunters but most of them were normal people once you talked about other things. Liverpool fans are unhinged in all aspects of life.

My experience of Manc's when in the RAF would be the total opposite. Scousers are genrally sound away from football tribalism, but Manc's always have a wierd self satisfaction and arrogance. Even when there's nothing to back it up.

.....Oh sorry you said Man Utd fans, so the ones you've spoken to are probably not Mancs :2funny:

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Kind of, more 70s. Born in 67. I tend to judge clubs by my interactions with their fans and Liverpool more than edge it.

'68 here and I definitely hate Liverpool more. 

Worth remembering, anyone our sort of age, Man U didn't win the league in the first 24 years of our lives and also managed to get relegated. That lent them a certain shitness that softened things, but Liverpool hoovered up silverware and their fucking fans, and the media, were unbearable.

I don't give a fuck about Arsenal, but I remember sitting in our student house in Gateshead watching that Michael Thomas championship decider in 1989 and every single one of the dozen or so of us watching really, really wanted Liverpool to fuck it. It remains one of the best football events I've ever seen in terms of schadenfreude.

7 minutes ago, brummie said:

Worth remembering, anyone our sort of age, Man U didn't win the league in the first 24 years of our lives and also managed to get relegated. That lent them a certain shitness that softened things, but Liverpool hoovered up silverware and their fucking fans, and the media, were unbearable.

I don't give a fuck about Arsenal, but I remember sitting in our student house in Gateshead watching that Michael Thomas championship decider in 1989 and every single one of the dozen or so of us watching really, really wanted Liverpool to fuck it. It remains one of the best football events I've ever seen in terms of schadenfreude.

I was on holiday in Sidari with my then girlfriend. When Thomas scored I was on a pub table dancing with  a Sheff Wed fan and a Leeds fan in celebration. None of us had met before that game. And it was my birthday.

Edited by madras

The redcafe thread on this is gold. Loads of angry entitled Man U fans that appear to have been born yesterday, and a Brighton fan trying to explain what reality is.

11 minutes ago, brummie said:

For anyone younger the teams are basically reversed in this scenario, minus the relegation. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

For anyone younger the teams are basically reversed in this scenario, minus the relegation. 

Ha ha yes, that is true, that had never occurred to me!

19 minutes ago, brummie said:

Were you supposed to be revising for your end of year exams too? 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Anyone born in the mid 80's up until about 2000 has an unyielding hate for Man U.

80’s child here, I don’t discriminate, I hate both Liverpool and Man United with an equal passion :aww: