Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

21 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Will be remembered for signing a midfielder for 55 million who can’t play and a left back who can’t get a game ?

Aye.

Seems harsh as a lot of his work will be in the background. But his summer transfer business doesn't look good in Feb.

19 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Tell them we want £20m for him and he’s on gardening leave for 18 months. Let’s see how serious they really are. 

Presumably compensation and gardening leave terms would be in his contract? I'm not sure how these things work

Anyway, onwards and upwards. It won't be the last time a key player or member of backroom staff moves on. They pinched one of Man City's top guys so clearly they're still a draw. Most important thing is getting the very best available replacement in.

I dare say we're in a much better position to attract talent in the board room then we were when we started the search for a sporting director the first time around too. 

No structure behind the scenes and fighting relegation in the pitch, plus recent European exposure won't hurt.

I still think that far, far too much is being made of this.  If football has a dearth of good administrators then it needs to take a long, hard look at itself.  He’ll be replaced by someone either to fanfares or odd disappointment.  Then we’ll seldom hear anything about the successor.  

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye.

Seems harsh as a lot of his work will be in the background. But his summer transfer business doesn't look good in Feb.

Seems there was a fair amount of long term thinking in the summer market. The idea of young, talented full backs and a midfielder who could be key for years to come, granted the latter got off to a horrific start.

1 minute ago, janpawel said:

Does the money we receive for him count towards FFP?? Or is it just player sales, not including non-player sales? 

It's all income, otherwise we would be omitting shit sponsors that don't appear on shirts and the fender gigs from it too

How come Ashworth gets the blame for Tonali and not Nickson/Howe? If there is even any reason to blame them...

As far as I can tell Ashworth isn't really involved in finding the players, more to do the fact of finalising the terms etc?

Edited by Menace

1 minute ago, Menace said:

How come Ashworth gets the blame for Tonali and not Nickson/Howe? If there is even any reason to blame them...

As far as I can tell Ashworth isn't really involved in finding the players, more to do the fact of finalising the terms etc?

Ashworth gets the blame because some fans have decided that Ashworth’s main role is everything to do with signings to the first team and any issues that come up with that sit mainly with Ashworth

Well, I've no idea of his actual role in transfers, but on the basis that if we're blaming him for Tonali you've also got to credit him for the Wood and Shelvey transfers, which were both pretty good for us at the time.

Just hoping that if he goes, we get in a shrewd character to replace him. 

(NB I nearly said shrewd operator, but then couldn't get Sade out of my mind)

2 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

It's all income, otherwise we would be omitting shit sponsors that don't appear on shirts and the fender gigs from it too

Okay, in which case we get a slight FFP boost, not bad if he genuinely doesn't want to be here..but who knows for sure

Just now, The Prophet said:

Seems there was a fair amount of long term thinking in the summer market. The idea of young, talented full backs and a midfielder who could be key for years to come, granted the latter got off to a horrific start.

Aye but it hasn't worked out so far. The left-back is 4th choice atm. Could barely get a kick during an injury crisis.

How come Ashworth gets the blame for Tonali and not Nickson/Howe? As far as I can tell Ashworth isn't really involved in finding the players, more to do the fact of finalising the terms etc?

Nickson should get some of the blame too. Not Howe, background checks and such isn't his job.

The Tonali thing is not like he Toney thing. Toney gambled by himself it seems. Tonali was a ringleader and involved teammates. It wasn't a personal secret. We got swindled. A DoF more plugged into Italian football wouldn't have got swindled IMO. But it's understandable all the same.

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Ashworth gets the blame because some fans have decided that Ashworth’s main role is everything to do with signings to the first team and any issues that come up with that sit mainly with Ashworth

That’s true.  Ashworth only has transfer as one of his responsibilities.  Another is sports science / physiotherapy.   That’s been going swimmingly this season. 

Losing Ashworth won’t be a problem, but not be able to replace him in the coming months would be. Because talks to sign players will be starting before season ends, and we’d require someone to join it all up and not end up in a situation where Howe gets pissed off because it’s a mess and nothing is moving.

Just now, Menace said:

Considering most AC Milan fans were absolutely devastated when they sold him and sounded shocked when this came around - no?

It’s not about whether fans knew about it.  It’s the fact that half the Italian U-21 squad clearly knew about it.  It’s not a leap to think that others in Italian football knew - the fans aren’t in the loop

3 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Okay, in which case we get a slight FFP boost, not bad if he genuinely doesn't want to be here..but who knows for sure

Assuming he's not on massive wages too mind but that's far less likely ha

Considering most AC Milan fans were absolutely devastated when they sold him and sounded shocked when this came around - no?

Not fans. People that work in the game.

Some of his teammates knew - that much is a fact. I believe decision makers at AC Milan knew too.

Mark Goldbridge talking as if its a done deal.  Just usual Man U arrogance - ain't done yet. I am not convinced it is a given - Saudi owners have ambition and aren't just going to roll over. 

It's like saying Abramovich should have checked Mutu's nose bridge for coke residue when he got caught sniffing coke at Chelsea.

It's not like. But they should have had an idea of his character and his fondness of partying. He did that his whole career did Mutu.