Nick Pope

Rich

8 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Prickford was at fault for two goals on Saturday.

It doesn't matter apparently because he's always great for England.  I constantly argue with my mates regarding Macguire and Mings being a liability but they come back with "yes they are shit but they do well for England ".  I mean, what does that tell you about England's defence?

12 hours ago, Rod said:

It doesn't matter apparently because he's always great for England.  I constantly argue with my mates regarding Macguire and Mings being a liability but they come back with "yes they are shit but they do well for England ".  I mean, what does that tell you about England's defence?

I cannot disagree.

12 hours ago, Rod said:

After Prickford’s mistake for the first goal,which wasn’t discussed on MOTD by the way,the commentator said ‘Could Pickford have done better’. It seems he’s above criticism from the media.

Unless Pickford is injured, he starts.  Pope didn’t have the best of games last time for England, and GK is the last position you’re likely to swap out before a major tournament.

I’ll content myself with the warm fuzzy feeling that I wouldn’t swap Pope for Pickford for NUFC.  He’s the better GK for me - said the same last year when we played Burnley.  

Prickford’s mistakes are rarely highlighted when playing for England unless they lead to a goal.He doesn’t command his 6 yard box,never mind the penalty area.He often pushes shot’s back into the danger area.There are a number of reasons why shots from distance go over his head .He position’s himself too far from his line.He often dives slightly forward.He has short arms 😉.As for his kicking,he finds the head of opposition players more often than he finds a team mate.If he does this in the World Cup England will struggle to get the ball back.Have I mentioned his suspect temperament? 

The Maguire thing is tricky. Personally I'd leave him out and play someone else as right now he's been so shit for Man U that his surname is now synonymous with horrific errors and huge mistakes, they guy's become a meme he's been so bad. There's also the (match) fitness issue as he barely gets a game for his club now. 

The good thing for him is that we're not exactly brimming with adequate replacements either, Dier, Stones and Coady don't exactly inspire confidence especially when the lad in goal often has concentration issues and is skittish as fuck at times. If Southgate picks him and he makes a big mistake then it'll probably end him mentally, he'll get absolutely slated. 

Then again it's Iran so he'll be under very little pressure you'd imagine. It'll be interesting to see what he does. 

The first 3-4 games his playing out from the back will be important playing against sides we need to break down. Once we get to the elite countries it'll be interesting to see how he steps up but if we've won a few comfortably and he's got some form and confidence back, it might work out nicely.

• 2 weeks later...