Nick Pope: "on track" for return before end of season (Hope)

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

I love him. He's so consistent for us. Have said it time and again but his decision-making and speed when it comes to racing out - either to narrow the angle or to cut out a through-ball - is always absolutely bang on. I love that he's just fucking huge n'all. 

Botman will be a superstar but Pope is the signing of the season for us, no question about.

I'm 42 and he's the best keeper in my time watching us I think. Just so solid.

I never panic at crosses, never worry he'll fumble a 'saveable' shot in target etc.

He's got the lot and the, widely reported, weakness in his distribution isn't really a factor as yet imho.

Dubs was shot since his last injury and the euros, i just don't think people realised how much until Pope came in. He was living on past memories, but all I could see was a liability and a mistake waiting to happen. Never feel like that with Pope. 

Such a smart move by the club. Not a glamorous one, just like Burn & Targett, but a necessary one to stabilise and move forward.

Watching Dubravka tonight, and that's just made it clear it was the right decision to bring him in.

We don't even talk about the keeper now  The only debate now is who his back up should be - terrific buy for £10m.

1 minute ago, Abacus said:

Watching Dubravka tonight, and that's just made it clear it was the right decision to bring him in.

We don't even talk about the keeper now  The only debate now is who his back up should be - terrific buy for £10m.

Aye - pound for pound, he's up there in Rob Lee terms in respect of a value for money buy.

Definitely one of if not the best keeper we’ve had at the club in my time following. Let’s not forget though this is by far and away the best defence I’ve ever known us to have so that will always help play a part. 

17 hours ago, TotalWar said:

I agree with you. Ive been attending since 1980, and he is the best Ive seen. Given and Kevin Carr (from 1980 to when he broke his arm at Leeds) would be in contention. Given obviously has the longevity on his side, whereas Pope has a much shorter tenure so far, Given also played in loads of big games for us. Pope though just oozes confidence, this rubs off on teammates and fans. He dominates in a way Given never did. Also its hard for a keeper who isnt involved in a game, due to superb defensive  unit infront of him, to stay focussed, Pope does brilliantly; always alive to a late chance or through ball etc.

Given was the best shot stopper I’ve seen, but his nickname of ‘superglue’ was very accurate as his control of his penalty box wasn’t great 

Given will always be a club legend and as said above, best shot stopper we've seen and had that ability to pull a save out of nowhere that you didn't expect. Then again, I have lots of memories of him waving at 30-yarders flying past his hand and whilst I think some exaggerate it a bit, he wasn't always great at coming off his line. Shit at kicking too but you can say that about virtually every keeper we've had in my lifetime.

Pope seems like the complete package. He's also playing behind a way better defence than Given ever did and that's worth noting; you could say it gave Shay many opportunities to show how good he was because of the divvies in front of him, or that Pope has less to do and therefore looks solid as the defence do more work for him.

I think if Pope plays another 2 or 3 seasons for us after this one he may well be remembered in a similar light as Shay not for longevity but for his sheer quality.

Remember when people were flapping that we’d “wasted” £10M of our very strict summer budget on a position we didn’t need to strengthen? On someone no better than Dubravka, too. Magic.

He’s even getting better with his feet now Eddie’s had six months with him.

58 minutes ago, Rich said:

Remember when people were flapping that we’d “wasted” £10M of our very strict summer budget on a position we didn’t need to strengthen? On someone no better than Dubravka, too. Magic.

He’s even getting better with his feet now Eddie’s had six months with him.

I'm happy to admit I've never been more wrong. Doubted his signing but he's put in the best half a season I've seen from any of our keepers. He's an absolute monster and I wouldn't swap him for anyone. Long may it continue! 

Neek Powwwp! 

1 hour ago, David Edgar said:

Yeah, his improvement playing it out with his feet is kinda remarkable.  

He's gone from a bombscare to really solid.

I think “really solid” might be pushing it. His first touch is still a bit Bambi-esque, but having said that, he doesn’t really piss about, only really attempts stuff within his capabilities, so even if he isn’t great with it at his feet, you don’t get the feeling he will make a mistake with it.

Love how quick he is off his line to clear balls over the top. Proper sweeper keeper. Also love how he relieves pressure at the end of games by coming out and plucking the ball out of the air and then falling to the ground and wasting a good half a minute. Celebrated like a goal has been scored too by the fans.