Memberships (2023/24)

ceolnamara

14 minutes ago, Sima said:

Build something into the system that doesn’t allow single seats to be taken encroaching on requests of those that haven’t taken up their ballot allocation yet.

What that leaves us with, I’m not sure.

They’re probably constricted by what appears to us all, as a bit of a shoddy system.

But putting that to one side, I think rather than having any kind of queuing system at any point in the process, they would be better off giving people a more specific choice at the point of entering the ballot. 

So rather than this Cat 1, Cat 2, Cat 3, people get to select a certain stand, or even a level within that stand.

But make the available numbers public. So someone can look at it and think ‘I want to sit in the Gallowgate, but there’s only 100 seats available, in the Leazes there’s 300’.

That way people can make an informed choice of whether to risk going for where they really want to sit versus going for a less favourable seat but with more chance of success.

I have to say I’m a bit baffled by those who have memberships for the full season giving up on applying because they’ve only been successful 1-2 games so far. It just doesn’t make sense to me at all. You paid for the ability to put your name in a hat 22 times at phase 1 and a chance to get a ticket in phase 2 re-sale. Do it. Come the end of the season judge wether your £37 or whatever it was was worth it. You might miss out on the first 11 games but just as easily be successful in the last 11 🤷‍♂️ 

Of course they're limited by whatever systems they're using at the moment but there's so much that could be done in due course to still allow for it to reach the widest audience possible via ballot whilst giving people some actual autonomy on where they end up sitting/standing.

As Stev says, give a breakdown of a few more options rather than categories that hide behind smoke and mirrors. Hell, not many may use it but maybe even add an option of 'anywhere I don't care' which can plonk someone in one of the less desired areas.

It may be too complicated but I wonder if they could introduce a window, maybe 48 hours or something where after successful ballot notifications go out it allows people to login and pick their seat on a first come first serve basis. It's not going to give everyone their favoured spot but it'd surely result in more happy campers than currently?

I'll still apply each game anyway. It just feels like cutting your nose off to spite your face to say that you won't spend 5 minutes within a three or four day window applying, when the previous system often required waiting on a website for over an hour to find out if you'll snag a ticket. Even if you get a seat you don't want under the current system, it's not like there's not a queue of takers to pass it on to at face value.

26 minutes ago, wormy said:

Of course they're limited by whatever systems they're using at the moment but there's so much that could be done in due course to still allow for it to reach the widest audience possible via ballot whilst giving people some actual autonomy on where they end up sitting/standing.

As Stev says, give a breakdown of a few more options rather than categories that hide behind smoke and mirrors. Hell, not many may use it but maybe even add an option of 'anywhere I don't care' which can plonk someone in one of the less desired areas.

It may be too complicated but I wonder if they could introduce a window, maybe 48 hours or something where after successful ballot notifications go out it allows people to login and pick their seat on a first come first serve basis. It's not going to give everyone their favoured spot but it'd surely result in more happy campers than currently?

I'll still apply each game anyway. It just feels like cutting your nose off to spite your face to say that you won't spend 5 minutes within a three or four day window applying, when the previous system often required waiting on a website for over an hour to find out if you'll snag a ticket. Even if you get a seat you don't want under the current system, it's not like there's not a queue of takers to pass it on to at face value.

In terms of the bold bit, as I’ve said, I don’t think it’s feasible to have any kind of seat selection once the ballot is drawn, as you won’t be able to cater for everyone that’s been successful that wants/needs to sit together, if you just let people freely choose seats. Having said that they absolutely do need to come up with a better way of people having a choice of at least the stand they sit in.

In terms of people becoming disheartened or giving up with the ballot, even though I’m a ST holder and don’t have to go through this palaver for every game, I can still see how it becomes a bit of a sickner over time.

Every ballot fail is a kick in the balls, and even if you’re aware of the maths, and know you’ll likely have more fails than successes, I’m sure it’s somewhat draining to your desire to get to a match, especially if you go on a failure ‘run’.

It probably requires a bit of a mentality shift to be able to accept it and not lose the enthusiasm to apply every game, especially if you were used to always getting a ticket previously.

I can understand people giving up just to avoid the disappointment and feeling of futility. 

Of course logically you should enter and you have some chance, but if it’s causing you too many negative emotions then it’s a decision for you.  

I’m just trying to accept that I probably won’t go but I enter just in case. I certainly don’t have any enthusiasm or hope left though. 

As I’ve said many times, it could take several seasons for your luck to even out. Anyone who plays odds knows that a 20% chance to win can result in many, many losers in a row. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

I have to say I’m a bit baffled by those who have memberships for the full season giving up on applying because they’ve only been successful 1-2 games so far. It just doesn’t make sense to me at all. You paid for the ability to put your name in a hat 22 times at phase 1 and a chance to get a ticket in phase 2 re-sale. Do it. Come the end of the season judge wether your £37 or whatever it was was worth it. You might miss out on the first 11 games but just as easily be successful in the last 11 🤷‍♂️ 

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can understand people giving up just to avoid the disappointment and feeling of futility. 

Of course logically you should enter and you have some chance, but if it’s causing you too many negative emotions then it’s a decision for you.  

I’m just trying to accept that I probably won’t go but I enter just in case. I certainly don’t have any enthusiasm or hope left though. 

As I’ve said many times, it could take several seasons for your luck to even out. Anyone who plays odds knows that a 20% chance to win can result in many, many losers in a row. 

Just for my perspective, it's a mixture of disappointment/negative emotions like mentioned above, with holding off other plans in case I get a ticket (which was much easier for me last year), plus this increasing feeling of being on the periphery of it all (as a former ST holder) which just makes me think fuck it. 

That said, I'm regretting a bit not putting in recently so will be entering for Bournemouth. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You might have 30% in theory but you could still lose lots in a row. 

aye, but it was said a while ago, for league games the average success rate for members applying was circa 33%

I'm sure that's lowered since

Speaking as a member who applies for every ballot I think those that are disheartened to the point where they won't bother applying anymore are well within their rights. 

Very much the principled thing to do. In fact more should stop applying, credit to them 😉

Fuck the ballot, cannit even be arsed entering it anymore

Only time I’ve got seats in a location I wanted was when using my memberships to get tickets for someone on here who was very kindly swapping their ST with me and they wanted a a pair of seats near the pitch

It was like the stars had perfectly aligned 

Every other time I either get nowt, or seats I don’t want 

Resale all the way for me 

Pretty sure I’ve got the faster mouse finger on Tyneside 

Edited by bobbydazzla

I'm about 40-50% successful on ballots I'd say, or otherwise always manage tickets in the resale. Think Luton will be the 10th game I've been to this season. Appreciate I seem a lot luckier than most on this. 

Re resale I do think some might not be persistent enough, as boring as it is to do, but if they are busy then fair enough it's hard to persist to the extent that you often need to. 

But with the ballot I do wonder if it's truly random. I have a SW postcode on my account, would be some mad shit if only a certain proportion were allocated to NE postcodes :lol: 

Probably not like but just wondering why I might have been a bit luckier than the average, or whether it is truly random. 

The old way was much better. Those who wanted tickets the most got them. Last season I've seen myself take a day off work, hide in the bogs at work armed with 3 different phones, had my dad set up on 4 different devices trying for me and also been sat at home with 9 different browsers open to secure tickets when I'vebeen off. That gave my a 100% success rate as I was so desperate to get in I was basically doing everything possible to get one.

Now I've got a couple of days window to enter a ballot the same as everyone else. They could be opposition fans, touts, daytrippers, casual fans, whatever. We all have the same chance of a ticket and that has not only totally diluted the atmosphere l, but worse still allowed easy access away fans into our end. Heard stories of Man City fans up in Level 7 and even seen a photo on twitter of 2 Man City fans in the Gallowgate End on Saturday! We had Chelsea fans sat along from us back in November (Level 7).

All that before even mentioning that you're buing a ticket with no idea of whereabouts you'll be sitting, if you're lucky enough to get one!

No I can't see a single positive step balloting tickets has made compared to the old system. All its done is alienated the more traditional fans and allowed easier access to daytrippers and the atmosphere has suffered dramatically compared to last season. However I think this is what they want. A daytripper will spend a lot more in the club shop than I will after all and they need to generate revenue.

Think the biggest dilemma is how many memberships people are prepared to buy next season. 

The most tempting thing for me is to make up someone who’s eligible for youth tickets. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think the biggest dilemma is how many memberships people are prepared to buy next season. 

The most tempting thing for me is to make up someone who’s eligible for youth tickets. 

Why wait. Do it now. Still half a season left.

3 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

The old way was much better. Those who wanted tickets the most got them. Last season I've seen myself take a day off work, hide in the bogs at work armed with 3 different phones, had my dad set up on 4 different devices trying for me and also been sat at home with 9 different browsers open to secure tickets when I'vebeen off. That gave my a 100% success rate as I was so desperate to get in I was basically doing everything possible to get one.

Now I've got a couple of days window to enter a ballot the same as everyone else. They could be opposition fans, touts, daytrippers, casual fans, whatever. We all have the same chance of a ticket and that has not only totally diluted the atmosphere l, but worse still allowed easy access away fans into our end. Heard stories of Man City fans up in Level 7 and even seen a photo on twitter of 2 Man City fans in the Gallowgate End on Saturday! We had Chelsea fans sat along from us back in November (Level 7).

All that before even mentioning that you're buing a ticket with no idea of whereabouts you'll be sitting, if you're lucky enough to get one!

No I can't see a single positive step balloting tickets has made compared to the old system. All it’s done is alienated the more traditional fans and allowed easier access to daytrippers and the atmosphere has suffered dramatically compared to last season. However I think this is what they want. A daytripper will spend a lot more in the club shop than I will after all and they need to generate revenue.

🎯

Just now, jack j said:

Not sure if this is thread for it,

But was anyone at the away ticket workshop thing they had tonight?

I couldn’t make it so didn’t bother applying.

Given both NUST and NUSC have people there we should get a fairly comprehensive round up over what gets said.

Although looking at the various Twitter ‘discussions’ I don’t hold out too much hope of sensible debate as everyone seems absolutely entrenched in whatever position they support.

Although having said that people do tend to be a bit more reasonable in face-to-face discussions, so you never know.

6 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

The last system was better, it was just the website that was (still is) a pile of shit 

I believe tonight is related to away tickets only