Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

You’re on the windup right? :lol: 

Hahaha. I promise brother I'm not here to be winding anyone up.

Just playing devils advocate here. We cant afford a 70m from RBL who potentially flops or takes a year to get adjusted to EH and to England etc. 

So I guess I'm thinking of who we can sign that we know what we are getting. Less of a gamble. Lower ceiling but a higher floor. I think its a great year to scavenge off other teams in the prem. Those who are relegated, fallen on tough times etc. Lord knows it happened to us for decades.

Another random but related question, what about the recent Chelsea model with long contracts and future funds involved. Risky? Tying up all that FFP money going forward. 

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Not Ward Prowse Tierney or Tarkowski. 

we need a profile of player who can be available to play (rules out Tierney) or who can improve the first 11 which rules out the other two. 

Sorry forgot to quote you in the above.

9 minutes ago, Sufi said:

Just playing devils advocate here. We cant afford a 70m from RBL who potentially flops or takes a year to get adjusted to EH and to England etc. 

So I guess I'm thinking of who we can sign that we know what we are getting. Less of a gamble. Lower ceiling but a higher floor. I think its a great year to scavenge off other teams in the prem. Those who are relegated, fallen on tough times etc. Lord knows it happened to us for decades.

Another random but related question, what about the recent Chelsea model with long contracts and future funds involved. Risky? Tying up all that FFP money going forward. 

Can't take a gamble on that 22 year old mega talented, national team captain with 4 years of Champions League experience. Better play it safe and get some of that older trustworthy bottom half Premier League experience to guide us to another top 4 finish and Champions League campaign.

3 minutes ago, Sufi said:

The long term Chelsea deals are not wrong ... If you buy the right players at the right price.

What if the new Manager wants to change them? One, is there any money left to spend? Two, how much would they lose if they sold them at a discount (do they have to pay all the wages as well?)

Might work if it was a long term manager in place but not at a club with a new manager every other year.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Can't take a gamble on that 22 year old mega talented, national team captain with 4 years of Champions League experience. Better play it safe and get some of that older trustworthy bottom half Premier League experience to guide us to another top 4 finish and Champions League campaign.

I appreciate that it sounds silly. I'd feel different if it was a player from a different league, team and not for 70m.

He looks fantastic but so did Naby Keita and a few others at RBL. 

18 minutes ago, Sufi said:

All signings have an element of risk attached to them

I think if we did get Szoboszlai it would be less than £70m but still would be a decent amount, the club will do their homework and determine whether he is worth it

Isak cost a similar amount and in terms of CL experience I don't believe he had any (maybe the odd game) whereas Szoboszlai has quite a fair bit

On the Chelsea model I'm sure it was said FFP would limit it to 5 years, so the 8 year contracts will not help from an FFP point of view. Not sure if that's actually in place yet though. Having said that copying anything Chelsea are doing is probably an unwise strategy anyway

Agree on both parts there. The only thing is Isak has done it in a few leagues now. Had like 15 europa league matches iirc. Performed ok in limited apps in dortmund, did well for AIK. Did well for Sociedad. Looks great against top opposition for Sweden. 

I would feel totally different if it was 40-50m for Szo.

Sorry just looked at Szo's return in Salzburg. 60 goal contributions in 83 matches. Very very impressive. That nullifies my point about Isak doing it at AIK/Sociedad. Definitely passes the eye test as well. Its just the price and RBL players track record that scares me tbh. 

1 minute ago, Sufi said:

Sorry just looked at Szo's return in Salzburg. 60 goal contributions in 83 matches. Very very impressive. That nullifies my point about Isak doing it at AIK/Sociedad. Definitely passes the eye test as well. Its just the price and RBL players track record that scares me tbh. 

That's where stats can be misleading, if he sets up 59 nailed on chances and they aren't taken..... that's zero goal contributions.

It's a mix of data and watching him (for us) and a whole other world within  the game where the data is so finely tuned and the social networks provide so much other info.

2 hours ago, elbee909 said:

The last thing we need is another Bruno Guimaraes type without PL experience! [emoji38]

I'm playing devils advocate. I'd be happy with Szo for 42 million euros (initially) which is what we got Bruno for.

I guess my point was if we can justify spending 70m (thats if the rumours are correct) on one position, especially from RBL. 

He looks like a mix of Bruno and Ben Arfa. I'd love him here. I think its valid to question the fee, league and team based the history of bundesliga players coming to the PL, specifically that club, our budget and on where we are as a club. Maybe its a luxury or a gamble we cant afford. Maybe it isnt. I dont have an issue with us signing him, I've been cumming all over my laptop watching his videos on youtube just like the rest of you. 

Maybe the bigger question here is how we can spend our 150m (or whatever it is) to minimalize risk, while still finding our next Botman, Isak or Bruno. 

Edited by Sufi

1 hour ago, Sufi said:

I'm playing devils advocate. I'd be happy with Szo for 42 million euros (initially) which is what we got Bruno for.

I guess my point was if we can justify spending 70m (thats if the rumours are correct) on one position, especially from RBL. 

He looks like a mix of Bruno and Ben Arfa. I'd love him here. I think its valid to question the fee, league and team based the history of bundesliga players coming to the PL, specifically that club, our budget and on where we are as a club. Maybe its a luxury or a gamble we cant afford. Maybe it isnt. I dont have an issue with us signing him, I've been cumming all over my laptop watching his videos on youtube just like the rest of you. 

Maybe the bigger question here is how we can spend our 150m (or whatever it is) to minimalize risk, while still finding our next Botman, Isak or Bruno. 

Is that based on the assumption that our budget is 150m? Counter argument: would you sell ASM for 30million? 

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Szoboszlai would be an incredible signing - how likely is it though?  It feels like we’re a year or two away from players like him, but perhaps the CL qualification opens up paths to this sort of player?

Personally I think pulling off the Isak signing is a huge shock. Bigger than Sboz.

We can definitely make these type of signings, will just depend on who else is trying to sign them aswell.

37 minutes ago, CPL said:

Is that based on the assumption that our budget is 150m? Counter argument: would you sell ASM for 30million? 

Yes it purely based on the assumption that our budget is 150m. 

I would only sell him for 30m if we can get someone proven to be of similar quality for the same price. I love players like Moussa Diaby but if we sell ASM and sign Diaby or a similar player I dont really see the point. Especially if its someone from that league. I LOVE watching the bundesliga and how free flowing, end end the football is. If we sell ASM for 30 which seems low to me by current standards..I hope its due to tactics and EH wanting a different kind of player for 30m. I doubt we could find someone who does what he can do for 30m. I think hes in the 98 or 99th percentile for dribbles completed etc in the top leagues in europe.

Edited by Sufi

9 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Personally I think pulling off the Isak signing is a huge shock. Bigger than Sboz.

We can definitely make these type of signings, will just depend on who else is trying to sign them aswell.

The Isak one was a shock for sure. I think Szo would be less of a shock considering where we were when Isak signed as opposed to where we are now tbf.

Highly touted player (Isak) breaks club transfer record to move to NUFC who were involved in a relegation battle, have new owners and a new manager.

Highly touted player (Szo) breaks club transfer record to move to NUFC who have just qualified for the champions league and been to a cup final, with a manager who is up for PL manager of the season.

2 minutes ago, Sufi said:

The Isak one was a shock for sure. I think Szo would be less of a shock considering where we were when Isak signed as opposed to where we are now tbf.

An equivalent shock to Isak relative to where we are now would the upper echelon of player who is still young, for example a Musiala, Bellingham or Pedri/Gavi. I would have put Felix in this category but think he’s gettable now. 

1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

An equivalent shock to Isak relative to where we are now would the upper echelon of player who is still young, for example a Musiala, Bellingham or Pedri/Gavi. I would have put Felix in this category but think he’s gettable now. 

With all due respect I dont think any of those players are gettable. Maybe Felix but even thats pushing it and also not our most dire need positionally.