Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

At this point neither Musiala or Bellingham are realistic as they are at big clubs and if they ever move would be primed for one of the elite. 

Isak was playing at Sociedad and his numbers weren’t great and the price was high which gave us the opportunity. 

8 hours ago, Sufi said:

I prefer the hungarian but I'm not sure we are in a position to gamble away 70m of our transfer funds on a player from RB, no matter how good he does look. 

I'll take Tierney, Maddison and a proven CB like Pavard. Then we can look at free transfers and loans to fill out the squad and provide cover at CB and CM, maybe even a young winger for competition, a proven RB on loan to cover tripps and we can send Ashby on loan with option to recall. 3rd choice CF and a backup GK if dubravka leaves. Maybe 4-5 transfers for money. 1-2 free transfers and a further 1-2 loans of experienced players, preferable at 3rd CF and backup RB, id even be fine going the loan route for a backup GK. That leaves LB, CB, 2 CMs and a winger. Very do-able with 150m and 1-2 players in on a free. I find it terrifying that we could have our biggest season in club history approaching and spend 70m on one 22 year old player from RBL hahaha. I'd welcome him and be hype for it but its fucking scary to think what the consequences would be...

I really want us to swing on young talented players from random leagues but with 150m to spend I think we need to be extremely careful on spending on players who will need time to adjust to a new league, players who are super young or play in a team with a unique system etc. Maybe 1 or 2 of those guys is fine. For 10-15m and another on a free. But 70m on Szo would be irresponsible use of our funds imo.

If you’re expecting nine transfer deals to be done this window then I think you’re gonna be disappointed.

6 hours ago, Sufi said:

Hahaha. I promise brother I'm not here to be winding anyone up.

Just playing devils advocate here. We cant afford a 70m from RBL who potentially flops or takes a year to get adjusted to EH and to England etc. 

So I guess I'm thinking of who we can sign that we know what we are getting. Less of a gamble. Lower ceiling but a higher floor. I think its a great year to scavenge off other teams in the prem. Those who are relegated, fallen on tough times etc. Lord knows it happened to us for decades.

Another random but related question, what about the recent Chelsea model with long contracts and future funds involved. Risky? Tying up all that FFP money going forward. 

The Chelsea model eight year thing is getting banned this summer.

6 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

If you’re expecting nine transfer deals to be done this window then I think you’re gonna be disappointed.

I think your right there, the likes of Ritchie and Lascelles will need to be kept on to improve the depth of the squad rather than sell the lot and Start again.

I reckon 4 players pushing a £200 million spend will be the target, which let's be honest is fucking amazing 

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I dont expect 9. I think we may need 9 in. Our backup GK may go. Our LW may be off as well. We need a LB. We need 2 CM. We need competition at RW. We need a RCB. We need a backup RB. We need a 3rd CF. 

Wouldnt shock me at all if we bring 9 new faces in. Some on loan, some for free, some as backups for injury or emergency situations etc.

I'm fine with being dissapointed if its 5 or 6 instead of 9, but I dont see 9 as unrealistic considering the players who are on our bench who will surely be sold, and the above mentioned needs.

5 minutes ago, Ben said:

I think your right there, the likes of Ritchie and Lascelles will need to be kept on to improve the depth of the squad rather than sell the lot and Start again.

I reckon 4 players pushing a £200 million spend will be the target, which let's be honest is fucking amazing 

Agreed - burn being able to cover cb and lb will be massive, get a new lb in (not tierney - too many injuries) and that’s our back sorted imo.

Edited by Gawalls

4 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I dont expect 9. I think we may need 9 in. Our backup GK may go. Our LW may be off as well. We need a LB. We need 2 CM. We need competition at RW. We need a RCB. We need a backup RB. We need a 3rd CF. 

Wouldnt shock me at all if we bring 9 new faces in. Some on loan, some for free, some as backups for injury or emergency situations etc.

I'm fine with being dissapointed if its 5 or 6 instead of 9, but I dont see 9 as unrealistic considering the players who are on our bench who will surely be sold, and the above mentioned needs.

There’s absolutely no chance of signing 9 players for the first team squad. 

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Howe had said 2-3 no idea how some are speculating 9 :lol:

Edited by r0cafella

Just now, SteV said:

How many players from the first team squad do you think we will sell or maybe even loan out this summer? 

20230530_081627.thumb.jpg.9c9fbe185b6f47819f2a6513c1d4dbc9.jpg

The pressure regains stat comparison is why I think Szoboszlai should be our preference.  

I've always thought of Maddison as a bit of a luxury player out of possession.  Him in the starting 11 would weaken our press.

Tbh, Szoboszlai just looks a better player there.  And he has age on his side.

3 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Whoever we get I expect it to be done fairly early, Howe seems to hold great store in getting a solid pre-season as a squad 

That's true but we've also shown a willingness to wait for a top target if the initial price quoted isn't right for us. Isak is the obvious example, we went early in the window, were told it was the release fee or nothing, walked away then came back once the asking price had come down. Wouldn't massively surprise me to have a similar thing happen with DS.

Just now, Sufi said:

If we lose Dubravka and ASM. Elliot maybe goes on loan. I dont think 9 is unrealistic considering we will probably sell 3-5 players. 

I'd be absolutely staggered if we bring 9 in, especially as most of those 3-5 we'll be looking to sell have barely played any minutes this season (assuming you're on about Manquillo, Fraser, Darlow etc)

1 minute ago, Sufi said:

How many players from the first team squad do you think we will sell or maybe even loan out this summer? 

None will be sold and we certainly won’t loan Elliot out - he’ll get more games in the league.

Just now, Sufi said:

Manquillo, Lewis, Krafth, Fraser. All likely gone. Dubravka and ASM may well go also.

Krafth?? 

Where are you getting this from?

1 minute ago, Sufi said:

Loan - be surprised if it’s anyone from the current squad (bar a kind of loan that’s really a sale like Hayden and Hendrick this season). Maybe Miley I suppose, certainly not Anderson.

Sell - Fraser and Lewis. Think we’d like to keep to Dubravka, but he might well want to go, in which case we’d let him. Manquillo or Kraft. Darlow. Other than that only someone who asks to be away, like Ritchie.

8 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Szoboszlai would be an incredible signing - how likely is it though?  It feels like we’re a year or two away from players like him, but perhaps the CL qualification opens up paths to this sort of player?

He's very much in the Bruno/Isak bracket.

3 minutes ago, LV said:

Krafth?? 

Where are you getting this from?

Its a transfer rumors thread. I have no source for Fraser, Ritchie, Manquillo or Lewis being gone either. Let me speculate in peace.

2 minutes ago, Sufi said:

Manquillo, Lewis, Krafth, Fraser, Ritchie.. All likely and hopefully gone. Dubravka and ASM may well go also.

Manquillo 189, Lewis 122, Krafth 39, Fraser 311, Richie 212 = so thats 873mins between them. They don't need replacing by more than one player.

2 minutes ago, Sufi said:

Manquillo, Lewis, Krafth, Fraser, Ritchie.. All likely and hopefully gone. Dubravka and ASM may well go also.

They won’t but let’s say they do - you’re gonna struggle to get anything for the first five listed and ffp is real so we can’t spend £100m on replacing them. Every window ASM is linked with going and never happens - he’ll still be here and dubravka proved he’s still a good keeper against Chelsea so he could stay.

11 minutes ago, Sufi said:

That have actually played? (so not include Lewis, Fraser, M. Longstaff, Clark, Hendrick, Gillespie, Ritchie)

Not many. 2-3 I would say.

We need:
 left back (and need to get rid of 1-2 current left backs) 

two centre midfielders, a defensive and an attacking one

right winger (and maybe get rid of one)

understudy right centre back for Schär

Anything else is a bonus.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Loan - be surprised if it’s anyone from the current squad (bar a kind of loan that’s really a sale like Hayden and Hendrick this season). Maybe Miley I suppose, certainly not Anderson.

Sell - Fraser and Lewis. Think we’d like to keep to Dubravka, but he might well want to go, in which case we’d let him. Manquillo or Kraft. Darlow. Other than that only someone who asks to be away, like Ritchie.

So sell 6 potentially.

How can we add 3 in that case? (responding to the other posters who view 9 new faces as unrealistic)

IF we sell Fraser, Lewis, one of Manquillo or Krafth, one of Darlow or Dubravka, and Ritchie. ASM goes. 

2-3 players to replace our entire bench? 

I think we may see the same kind of turnover that teams who go from championship to prem see. Our goals, the competitions we will be in, everything has changed. A big chunk of our squad is made up of players who arent up to the level we hope to compete at next season. Many of them cant even be trusted as backups or emergency fill-ins.