Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

We probably need four or five. A RCB, LB, CM x 2, RW. The RCB and one of the CMs could even be all potential like Alex Scott or Arda Guler.

That'd allow us to ship out Darlow, Karius or Dubs, Manquillo, Lewis, Hendrick, Hayden and Fraser. Gillespie, Dummet and Ritchie are all out of contract, it wouldn't be surprising to see them see the latter two stay on in a coaching capacity. We'll probably consider offers for us if a decent bid comes in too.

9 minutes ago, Sufi said:

So sell 6 potentially.

How can we add 3 in that case? (responding to the other posters who view 9 new faces as unrealistic)

IF we sell Fraser, Lewis, one of Manquillo or Krafth, one of Darlow or Dubravka, and Ritchie. ASM goes. 

2-3 players to replace our entire bench? 

I think we may see the same kind of turnover that teams who go from championship to prem see. Our goals, the competitions we will be in, everything has changed. A big chunk of our squad is made up of players who arent up to the level we hope to compete at next season. Many of them cant even be trusted as backups or emergency fill-ins.

No, sell 5 potentially.

Kraft wasn’t in the PL squad second half of the season, so he doesn’t get replaced, or sell Manquillo and Kraft replaces him. 

Darlow wasn’t in the squad so he wouldn’t necessarily need replaced.

Obviously if we were to sell a ‘big’ player like ASM or Miggy (can’t see it myself) then clearly they would need replacing.

If you’re bringing 9 in, you’ve got to lose 9 out of the current 25 man squad, and that’s just not happening.

Edited by SteV

9 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Manquillo 189, Lewis 122, Krafth 39, Fraser 311, Richie 212 = so thats 873mins between them. They don't need replacing by more than one player.

I disagree. We leaned very heavily on the same small group of players this season and had great success doing so. A red card, an injury etc could be the difference next season. I think part of the reason those numbers are so low...and part of the reason we relied on the same 16 guys is because howe doesnt trust the fellas at the end of the bench. He's hinted at it recently in terms of him leaning heavily on certain players and barely limping across the finish line. We wont get away with that next season. Even if we can its not a smart risk to take. 

We cant replace 3 fullbacks and 2 wingers with one player. 

23 minutes ago, Sufi said:

If we lose Dubravka and ASM. Elliot maybe goes on loan. I dont think 9 is unrealistic considering we will probably sell 3-5 players. 

It's why I don't think we lose ASM, Dubravka too

It's a massive risk adding a lot of players to a squad that's big on harmony and team spirit

The focus has to be keeping those that are top players and replace the weak links in the squad, we have enough weak links before looking at someone like ASM

10 minutes ago, Sufi said:

So sell 6 potentially.

How can we add 3 in that case? (responding to the other posters who view 9 new faces as unrealistic)

IF we sell Fraser, Lewis, one of Manquillo or Krafth, one of Darlow or Dubravka, and Ritchie. ASM goes. 

2-3 players to replace our entire bench? 

I think we may see the same kind of turnover that teams who go from championship to prem see. Our goals, the competitions we will be in, everything has changed. A big chunk of our squad is made up of players who arent up to the level we hope to compete at next season. Many of them cant even be trusted as backups or emergency fill-ins.

You do know nowadays ffp is real right?

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

No, sell 5 potentially.

Kraft wasn’t in the PL squad second half of the season, so he doesn’t get replaced, or sell Manquillo and Kraft replaces him. 

Darlow wasn’t in the squad so he wouldn’t necessarily need replaced.

Obviously if we were to sell a ‘big’ player like ASM or Miggy (can’t see it myself) then clearly they would need replacing.

If you’re bringing 9 in, you’ve got to lose 9 out of the current 25 man squad, and that’s just not happening.

Very fair points.

Same for Ahmed above. I definitely cant see Miggy gone. I would also be surprised if ASM is gone. 

Our 3rd string GK played a cup final.

We had Anderson out there in the biggest match of the season.

I'd like to avoid those situations by focusing on depth and not just 2-3 signings considering we could conceivable play way more matches next season and not be lucky as far as injuries and suspensions go.

Edited by Sufi

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

You do know nowadays ffp is real right?

Loans? Free transfers? Long term structuring on transfer fees? 

You do know that is real?....right?

3 minutes ago, STM said:

We aren't signing 9 players FFS. It will be 4/6, 3 will be proper top class and a couple more to offer us depth.

How many players should we sell from our first team squad? Which players?

Just now, Sufi said:

Very fair points.

Same for Ahmed above. I definitely cant see Miggy gone. I would also be surprised if ASM is gone. 

Our 3rd string GK played a cup final.

We had Anderson out there in the biggest match of the season.

I'd like to avoid those situations by focusing on depth and not just 2-3 signings.

But if you’re adding 2-3 signings and not losing anyone significant, that’s giving you depth. 

There’s very little you can do about situations like the keeper one for the final. No-one has a third choice keeper that’s better than average. If Ederson and Ortega go down for Man City in the next couple of weeks, Scott Carson’s playing in the CL final.

Backup GK on loan if dubravka leaves
3rd string proven CF on loan.

LB for 35m
CB to compete with Schar for 25m 

attacking CM for 50m.
Competition for RW for 25m.
defensive CM for 25m
(some of the above could be replaced with free transfers)

Replacements for the 2-4 championship level players we will hopefully sell so we can round out a team that can compete in multiple competitions without being one injury away from failure.

Potential LW to replace ASM. 

Dont see why its impossible for 7-9 new faces in especially if we lose ASM or Dubravka.

If I was a footballer and I saw nine new players rock up after the season we've just had I'd be baffled.

We won't fix all the problems in one window even if we wanted to, something just wouldn't work out.

I can see that there's a good few positions to bring in competition/backup, but think four signings is more realistic. If three were first team quality and one (Arda Guler:coolsmiley:) for Eddie to work with I'd class that as a brilliant window.

43 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

20230530_081627.thumb.jpg.9c9fbe185b6f47819f2a6513c1d4dbc9.jpg

The pressure regains stat comparison is why I think Szoboszlai should be our preference.  

I've always thought of Maddison as a bit of a luxury player out of possession.  Him in the starting 11 would weaken our press.

Tbh, Szoboszlai just looks a better player there.  And he has age on his side.

Szobo is also playing in of the most high-press clubs in Europe. You can't really tell from those stats how Maddison would fit in that role. I am sure our scouts will assess that better ;)

1 minute ago, BonesJones said:

If I was a footballer and I saw nine new players rock up after the season we've just had I'd be baffled.

We won't fix all the problems in one window even if we wanted to, something just wouldn't work out.

I can see that there's a good few positions to bring in competition/backup, but think four signings is more realistic. If three were first team quality and one (Arda Guler:coolsmiley:) for Eddie to work with I'd class that as a brilliant window.

Surely some of those players would be replacements for players sold? We've made a jump equivalent to championship>premier league. Literally 5-6 players who have featured for us this season will serve no purpose next season and probably shouldnt be relied on even in an emergency situation. We could also lose 1-2 players most likely Dubravka and ASM.

I could just be out of my mind thinking this is football manager hahaha

I doubt we’re getting 9 players. Our alleged 150m budget would already be stretched going for 4 quality (or let’s say first team) additions.

As an example: Szos 50m, Min-Jae/Schuurs- 40 ish, Tierney- 30m and McTominay- 25m- is what our budget can get us more or less.

Edited by McCormick

8 hours ago, Sufi said:

I know its underwhelming for some of us who have spent months watching uber talented foreign players on youtube but how would you guys feel about Ward-Prowse, Tierney, Maddison and a good proven PL CB in his prime like Tarkovski? If we spend 130-140m on those 4 and fill out the rest with loans and free transfers. Maybe a youngster for the future like Guler.

Personally I would be very very happy with that. Thoughts?

Would be underwhelmed but not because they're from the Prem and not foreign players from YouTube. We need to be moving up into the next bracket, not just buying people from average/poor PL teams. 

I've got major questions about Maddison (fit) and Tierney (fitness record) but I'll give them a go if the club decide to go that way. 

Free transfers, loans, cheap youngsters for the future who we could loan out etc. ^

This is a reply to McCormick and not the above post. Sorry for my noobness.

Edited by Sufi

9 signings would be ridiculous even if there's 9/25 positions we think we're weak. 4-5 is perfectly reasonable and realistic. If they're top drawer, then 3 is also great if we're going to keep the likes of Lascelles, Targett, etc for another year or so. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

24 minutes ago, Sufi said:

Loans? Free transfers? Long term structuring on transfer fees? 

You do know that is real?....right?

So you want CL quality loans or free transfers? Good luck with that

Like TCD says, unless there's an influx of youngster who are immediately loaned out, we won't sign nine. Howe has spoken at length about evolving the squad and the detrimental effect of too many signing on team spirit. 

If we sign five, we have two passable players in every position. 

I am interested to see how Howe handles any bids for Lascelles or Murphy though. By all accounts key men in the dressing room, but he'll be under pressure with FFP to consider and the players moving to the fringes of the squad.