Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

The standard in the Premiership is now so high that I don't think teams can get away with a DM whose job is limited to winning the ball and then giving it to someone else who can pass and create with it. It's a hobbyhorse of mine, but a player in that anchor position will naturally get a lot of possession, and they've got to be able to use it well. Ideally, you would have a Partey, Casemiro, Rodri or an Enzo who can do a bit of everything. 

I don't think Bruno is a great tackler, but he makes up for it with his brain and his energy. He often seems to win the ball by anticipating where to position himself.

Perfect upgrade to Longstaff would be Valverde, but no way Real sells him. 

Defensively he gives you the same if not more, but offensively, if he was in the same situations that Longstaff was, he would have had 10+ goals by now. 

Edited by kocunar

Ugarte's passing breakdown is absolutely ridiculous to be fair, looks like the perfect DM to bring in as his ball winning is laughably excellent and his passing is elite too:

Passing

image.thumb.png.551c19f44316a64fe5d986ac2b34c975.png

Defense

image.thumb.png.3c26b6ddadbd73f1e9467ca88585d3af.png

Edited by KaKa

51 minutes ago, LV said:

The new DM would just need to pass it to Bruno. He’d do the rest. 

That's kind of my point though - you're bringing in a CM to do what our CBs do now (win the ball, give it to Bruno) but then you're going to lose one of Willock/Longstaff/Joelinton who all also offer something at the other end of the pitch?

If we were lining up more as a 4-2-3-1 then having someone alongside Bruno would make sense, but we seem to mostly have him there on his own (because he's good enough) and Willock/Longstaff operating either side & further up the field.

21 minutes ago, Cronky said:

The standard in the Premiership is now so high that I don't think teams can get away with a DM whose job is limited to winning the ball and then giving it to someone else who can pass and create with it. It's a hobbyhorse of mine, but a player in that anchor position will naturally get a lot of possession, and they've got to be able to use it well. Ideally, you would have a Partey, Casemiro, Rodri or an Enzo who can do a bit of everything. 

I don't think Bruno is a great tackler, but he makes up for it with his brain and his energy. He often seems to win the ball by anticipating where to position himself.

Aye it just means everyone has to sit deeper which goes against Howe’s gameplan. Someone in the side who’s job it is to pass to Bruno means that Bruno needs to come back and collect it, you’re better off just playing Bruno as a single pivot.

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

More than held his own recently in their win against Arsenal.

Yeah, he's only 21 too, and so paying the rumoured £50 million fee would still be very good value long term.

We 100% need a DM at the club and Ugarte is that player - just having a pure DM gives us tactical difference - something we don’t have within our midfield set up 

its good to have a differing option 

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Aye it just means everyone has to sit deeper which goes against Howe’s gameplan. Someone in the side who’s job it is to pass to Bruno means that Bruno needs to come back and collect it, you’re better off just playing Bruno as a single pivot.

Think we'll bring in another single pivot that is better than Bruno defensively, but is also an excellent passer e.g. Ugarte. So Bruno can stay high up the pitch as someone that can open up defences when they sit deep, while also being a goal threat.

If we can't land a DM that good then we'll likely just leave Bruno in the single pivot and look to add another 8 that is creative and also a goal threat.

Think the position we target in midfield i.e. a top 6 or 8 for the first team, will depend on which position we can get the higher calibre player in.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, KaKa said:

Think we'l bring in another single pivot that is better than Bruno defensively, but is also an excellent passer e.g. Ugarte. So bruno can stay high up the pitch as someone that can open up defences when they sit deep, while also being a goal threat.

If we can't land a DM that good then we'll likely just leave Bruno in the single pivot and look to add another 8 that is creative and also a goal threat.

Think the position we target in midfield i.e. a top 6 or 8 for the first team, will depend on which position we can get the higher calibre player in.

That makes sense I’m presuming from the stats earlier Ugarte is press resistant like Bruno, which appears to be the big ask of a good DM these days.

I agree though that a number 8 is the other option, someone like Maddison is different to what we have.

Speaking of Ugarte, he is very very good when it comes to the high press too. He often wins the ball high up the pitch and that is a perfect match for us. Not only that, but he’s also good when it comes to press resistance and has good technical ability to come out of tight spaces. Has good ball carrying ability too so he wouldn’t be one that just sits deep all the time and gives the ball to the one closest to him. 

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Speaking of Ugarte, he is very very good when it comes to the high press too. He often wins the ball high up the pitch and that is a perfect match for us. Not only that, but he’s also good when it comes to press resistance and has good technical ability to come out of tight spaces. Has good ball carrying ability too so he wouldn’t be one that just sits deep all the time and gives the ball to the one closest to him. 

I have said throughout the season we need a player in the Rodri mould - I thought Zubimendi or Sangare to begin with but Ugarte beats the lot 

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

That makes sense I’m presuming from the stats earlier Ugarte is press resistant like Bruno, which appears to be the big ask of a good DM these days.

I agree though that a number 8 is the other option, someone like Maddison is different to what we have.

Seems to be great at that too. Looking deeper into his numbers today, the guy looks incredibly good for that role. Hope we can make the deal happen.

Check out his possession numbers, which give some indication of his press resistance. You can see it from how good he is at carrying the ball, which is mostly done to avoid pressure, as he mostly receives it in deeper and central midfield areas as a DM:

image.thumb.png.45128f87708fc99d15ed5a7230d58afe.png

Edited by KaKa

Ugarte's numbers are shockingly good man.

If we manage to get him in at just 21 years old, that would be an absolutely outstanding signing, right up there with Bruno, Isak and Botman.

I have been saying Ugarte most of the time but I would be equally happy with Kone. Assuming that we also bring in an attacking midfielder then for me I might change my mind depending on what kind of AMC we bring in. Kone is more of a dynamic box to box kind of midfielder while Ugarte probably is more laid towards being a proper DM with a perfect skill set too.

For example, say that we bring in an attacking midfielder in the mould of Maddison or Cherki to name two, then I think I would prefer Ugarte. Meanwhile if we bring in an attacking one that is slightly more dynamic and offers slightly better defensive ability and legs then I would probably prefer Kone. It totally depends on how Howe (not barking) sees us going forward. With Willock already here then maybe Howe wants a different kind of attacking midfielder more in the mould of a proper creative one. This would give us options depending on the choice of tactics and opposition. Do we need more legs for better transitions and defensive ability against teams that don’t sit deep or do we need more of a “magician” that can unlock teams that sit deep against us. 

The above depending on choice would almost make us alternate between 433 and 4231 on paper. It obviously isn’t as fixed as that but I think you get the point.  Will be interesting to see which path we go. Therefore I’m not too bothered if it’s a “6” or a dynamic “8” we go for. Depends on the balance and who that third amc/10 is imo.  Also with Isak here then maybe we don’t want a AMC more in the mould of being a #10 because if Isaksson style of play and him floating around.

Edited by Ikon

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

Some good dm options available in the summer Lavia, Ugarte, Palhinha, Kone, I trust Eddie’s judgement but it would be disappointing to end up with McTominay.

Hugely after watching him last week he’s not an upgrade on Longstaff. To spend 20 to 30 million on him would be a nonsense.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Ugarte's numbers are shockingly good man.

If we manage to get him in at just 21 years old, that would be an absolutely outstanding signing, right up there with Bruno, Isak and Botman.

I have a feeling he’s the one we want, a lot of rumours say so (I know!), but the buy out clause seems like the type of business we will look at 

Aye he's the price bracket I expect we'll be looking at.

Expect we'll see a handful of players in the 30-50m range. Maddison, João Pedro, probably get a top class LB for that kind of money.

Might be one player we go big on, I'd guess Diaby if he's interested.

Newcastle and West Ham are the frontrunners to sign Ivory Coast winger Wilfried Zaha, 30, on a free transfer when his Crystal Palace contract expires this summer. (Star Sunday)

Newcastle have also been long-term admirers of Scott McTominay but Manchester United want at least £50m for the Scotland midfielder, 26. (Star Sunday)

2 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Newcastle have also been long-term admirers of Scott McTominay but Manchester United want at least £50m for the Scotland midfielder, 26. (Star Sunday)

Oh fuck off 'Star Sunday'. I thought this would've died after we dominated them.

Much much much much rather pay £50m for Ugarte/Kone than even as ”little” as £25-30m for Mctom. Without a shadow of doubt. Not that he would be that cheap. Love Longstaff but upgrade on him and make him more of a squad player. Happy and good egg as well as a good player to have around. The way to go instead of buying players for expensive money that won’t make much of a difference. We need to aim forward and not stand still. If we need more depth then go for young promising players or cheaper alternatives. Buy it nice or buy it twice. 

I would be amazed if we signed Zaha, he's not an Eddie Howe type player and at 30 he's to old, to many links for Mctominay now from different sources for it not to be true.