Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

I'm seriously a little confused here, a picture of his team mate as a child looks a bit like a character from a well known Spanish chocolate brand. Team mate responds and finds it funny.

Perhaps a little naive to put this on Twitter, but the reaction is crazy.

So are only white people allowed to be used for funny/joke comparisons? I really don't get the jumping all over this and don't see any racism.

:lol: Strange stance to take to show that you knew who the character was.

It's more the fact it seems lookalikes and comparisons are only fine if they're white and it's only non Spanish white people that seem to find this offensive. It's just a bit odd.

I don't think white people were persecuted by black people for centuries so you cant really make that comparison.

It was an ill judged tweet, although innocent it doesn't excuse it. The image stereotypes black people as having big lips and spears, which have both historically been used to taunt black people. The fa said although beardsley isn't racist he was guilty of using racist language and have punished him for that despite him saying it was meant as a joke or bit of fun.

I don't think white people were persecuted by black people for centuries so you cant really make that comparison.

It was an ill judged tweet, although innocent it doesn't excuse it. The image stereotypes black people as having big lips and spears, which have both historically been used to taunt black people. The fa said although beardsley isn't racist he was guilty of using racist language and have punished him for that despite him saying it was meant as a joke or bit of fun.

If he had compared the image with a golliwog, or other similar figures or images used historically as anti-black in a racist connotation then what you say is correct. The image with the spear by the way - isn't their image / logo and hasn't been for some time.

Like I said, it was a stupid tweet. I just thought the reaction was over the top. Need to understand Spanish culture to really understand this here. I've spent the last hour or so reading about this and it's a very complex and confusing area. Their views / standards in this area are clearly very different to ours.

They're both examples of blackface marketing which are not acceptable

Is it? Blackface marketing is blacking up something that would otherwise be white.

It's certainly questionable and wouldn't be acceptable here, but this thing sells 30 million packets of chocolate a year and in its own culture and there seems to be no issue with it in its own culture.

This is an odd hill you’ve chosen to die on, Greg.

I know.

All I am saying is that, I thought the reaction to it on Twitter was a bit over the top. The tweet was stupid and you certainly wouldn't see products marketed like this in the UK but it seems quite common and normalised in Spain.

Need to understand Spanish culture a bit more really. Is Spain a racist country?

I know it's hardly an original criticism but, fuck me, Lee Ryder is an appalling writer. His post-game report has been published this morning, so it's not like he can excuse himself by saying he had to pen all this whilst at the game which, I'm sure, is a changeable environment that might force a couple of errors. No, he's sat and crafted this mess at his laptop this morning.

"And on Saturday night, there was little cause for optimism as fans went away disappointed after the goal-less clash with the Seagulls on an evening in which they left the ground feeling frustrated rather than entertained."

I mean, that just-about makes sense but it's horribly jarring to read.

"Of course, the boos - which were also transmitted at half-time too - were part of the night because Newcastle did not get on the front-foot and attack Brighton."

Dismal. For a start, you don't put 'also' and 'too' in the same clause - it's tautologist.

"Isaac Hayden also made a foray to the side of the pitch and appeared to mouth: "This isn't working.""

You don't foray to your own dugout, you lemon. The word foray is associated with attacking or, 'going behind enemy lines,' or however you want to put it.

"Almiron then fashioned an opening with a good turn near the halfway line before gallping towards goal yet again his lack of potency cost him dear and the ball trickled back into the arms of Mat Ryan."

Useless.

And this is before you consider the overarching message of his report; some kind of hogwash about how Newcastle are a 'big contradiction'; how we're basically utter wank, but we can't really say that so we'll just cling to the fact we're four points better-off than we were last season. As if that has anything to do with anything.

I've stood up for the Chronicle in the past, and I know I probably sound throughly condescending by criticising grammar and what-have-you - but these people are in a position of power. They're in a position to be able to make a difference, but they've been a fucking disgrace since Rafa left. They've got their fingers in their ears shouting "la la la la la," which, interstingly, is about the limits of Ryder's intellectual capabilities.

For the record,

Last season:

1-2 - Spurs

0-0 - Cardiff

1-2 - Chelsea

1-2 - Man City

1-2 - Arsenal

0-0 - Palace

This season:

0-1 - Arsenal

1-3 - Norwich

1-0 - Spurs

1-1 - Watford

1-3 - Liverpool

0-0 - Brighton

So we're not even four points better off; it's three. But, like I say, comparing early results from seasons gone by offers absolutely no meaningful critique whatsoever; it serves only to push this bizarre agenda that we're better off without Rafa.

I know it's hardly an original criticism but, f*** me, Lee Ryder is an appalling writer. His post-game report has been published this morning, so it's not like he can excuse himself by saying he had to pen all this whilst at the game which, I'm sure, is a changeable environment that might force a couple of errors. No, he's sat and crafted this mess at his laptop this morning.

"And on Saturday night, there was little cause for optimism as fans went away disappointed after the goal-less clash with the Seagulls on an evening in which they left the ground feeling frustrated rather than entertained."

I mean, that just-about makes sense but it's horribly jarring to read.

"Of course, the boos - which were also transmitted at half-time too - were part of the night because Newcastle did not get on the front-foot and attack Brighton."

Dismal. For a start, you don't put 'also' and 'too' in the same clause - it's tautologisttautological.

"Isaac Hayden also made a foray to the side of the pitch and appeared to mouth: "This isn't working.""

You don't foray to your own dugout, you lemon. The word foray is associated with attacking or, 'going behind enemy lines,' or however you want to put it.

"Almiron then fashioned an opening with a good turn near the halfway line before gallping towards goal yet again his lack of potency cost him dear and the ball trickled back into the arms of Mat Ryan."

Useless.

And this is before you consider the overarching message of his report; some kind of hogwash about how Newcastle are a 'big contradiction'; how we're basically utter w***, but we can't really say that so we'll just cling to the fact we're four points better-off than we were last season. As if that has anything to do with anything.

I've stood up for the Chronicle in the past, and I know I probably sound throughlythoroughly condescending by criticising grammar and what-have-you - but these people are in a position of power. They're in a position to be able to make a difference, but they've been a f***ing disgrace since Rafa left. They've got their fingers in their ears shouting "la la la la la," which, interstinglyinterestingly, is about the limits of Ryder's intellectual capabilities.

I agree, and I am being a dick and pedant but if attacking someone for not being able to write you need to get your spelling correct. Then again, this is an internet message board not a published newspaper so it really doesn't fucking matter.

Ryder is a joke man, the only thing I will defend him for these days is when he is reporting news from the club and people claiming he has made it up. This is because I know for a fact he gets all his info spoon fed by the club, although of course quite often that will be deliberate lies the club want published in the local media.

Well, really, what I need to do is double-check for typos but thanks for the heads-up anyway. :lol: The point is, A: I didn't get paid to write that post and B: I'm not all the things Lee Ryder is (in respect of his influential position).

('Tautologist' is fair enough though, isn't it? ???)

Spain is a very racist country.

Been reading about this over the last hour, not spent enough time there myself or read about this enough really. This type of thing seems very common with  defensive positions adopted about racial attitudes in Spain, both in the media and in from marketing executives and government advisers. Very different to how things are seen here.

Well, really, what I need to do is double-check for typos but thanks for the heads-up anyway. :lol: The point is, A: I didn't get paid to write that post and B: I'm not all the things Lee Ryder is (in respect of his influential position).

('Tautologist' is fair enough though, isn't it? ???)

That one I am not sure about but I agree entirely in general.

I think it would be correct to call Lee Ryder at tautologist, as there is no doubt he is a person that practices tautology.

Ah, as in someone who makes tautological statements is a tautologist. :thup:

Whatever it is, I know one thing for certain; it's some cracking Sunday afternoon reading for the forum. You're welcome, guys. If you've been debating whether or not to show the forum to your girlfriends, I'd say now's the time: me and Greg are sorting out the whole 'tautology' debate.