Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Ah, as in someone who makes tautological statements is a tautologist. :thup:

Whatever it is, I know one thing for certain: it's some cracking Sunday afternoon reading for the forum. You're welcome, guys.

And lovely intervention from me getting too far down a hole I should never have gone down.  :thup:

I can remember the attitude towards Hamilton over there, it was severe. Anecdotally I noticed it quite a bit over there.

My time in Spain has been limited to 2 nights in Barcelona to see Shola score in the Nou Camp and Dyer do an impression of a tea pot on the post.

Found a really interesting article about this packet of sweets, clearly seen as unacceptable by those in the UK, USA etc. but not really in Spanish culture.

https://escholarship.org/content/qt8wq5s5tv/qt8wq5s5tv.pdf?t=nkg5oy&nosplash=7f6b9469bba6f7b20680cef253712e79

Every year there's a furore when a Spanish player appears in a "blacking up" photo at Christmas as one of the wise men as is customary in Spain. Last Christmas it was Iniesta.

It is quite interesting which cultures the English speaking world decide are acceptable and which aren't. We have certainly decided we are the arbiters of the issue though, which some might say is quite racist in itself.

Every year there's a furore when a Spanish player appears in a "blacking up" photo at Christmas as one of the wise men as is customary in Spain. Last Christmas it was Iniesta.

It is quite interesting which cultures the English speaking world decide are acceptable and which aren't. We have certainly decided we are the arbiters of the issue though, which some might say is quite racist in itself.

:thup:

Just because something is a custom somewhere doesn’t make it immune from criticism. Bull fighting is a Spanish tradition and it’s f***ing garbage, shouldn’t be afforded any kind of special treatment because it’s entrenched in their culture. That’s a completely facile argument. If you apply that argument unilaterally we can’t comment on any issues outside of our own, which is patently completely ridiculous.

Nobody said just because it's a custom it should be immune from criticism. However, if we are going to criticise something in a different culture we should perhaps look at a bit of context first. For the "blacking up" example Wullie made,  why should that be seen as racist in Spain based on something that was happening in a different country with a different language and culture years and years ago? For the Bilbao players referring to Inaki Williams as "darkie" why is that any different to nicknames based on something else in a person's physical appearance? It's only different because we have been taught that it's different, there is nothing inherently wrong with a nickname based on the colour of someone's skin, no moreso than a nickname based on somebody's height, etc.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/adidas-deal-13-england-captain-16958674

An article on Josh Walker.

He went to my school, was in the year above me and Colback. Josh was the more highly rated of them both, I even remember that he took some time off school to go away with England under 17’s, he was the captain of I remember correctly.

I always wondered why he never made it, never knew he had suffered some major injuries.

I know it's hardly an original criticism but, fuck me, Lee Ryder is an appalling writer. His post-game report has been published this morning, so it's not like he can excuse himself by saying he had to pen all this whilst at the game which, I'm sure, is a changeable environment that might force a couple of errors. No, he's sat and crafted this mess at his laptop this morning.

"And on Saturday night, there was little cause for optimism as fans went away disappointed after the goal-less clash with the Seagulls on an evening in which they left the ground feeling frustrated rather than entertained."

I mean, that just-about makes sense but it's horribly jarring to read.

"Of course, the boos - which were also transmitted at half-time too - were part of the night because Newcastle did not get on the front-foot and attack Brighton."

Dismal. For a start, you don't put 'also' and 'too' in the same clause - it's tautologist.

"Isaac Hayden also made a foray to the side of the pitch and appeared to mouth: "This isn't working.""

You don't foray to your own dugout, you lemon. The word foray is associated with attacking or, 'going behind enemy lines,' or however you want to put it.

"Almiron then fashioned an opening with a good turn near the halfway line before gallping towards goal yet again his lack of potency cost him dear and the ball trickled back into the arms of Mat Ryan."

Useless.

And this is before you consider the overarching message of his report; some kind of hogwash about how Newcastle are a 'big contradiction'; how we're basically utter wank, but we can't really say that so we'll just cling to the fact we're four points better-off than we were last season. As if that has anything to do with anything.

I've stood up for the Chronicle in the past, and I know I probably sound throughly condescending by criticising grammar and what-have-you - but these people are in a position of power. They're in a position to be able to make a difference, but they've been a fucking disgrace since Rafa left. They've got their fingers in their ears shouting "la la la la la," which, interstingly, is about the limits of Ryder's intellectual capabilities.

Nice to have someone explain why his articles make me eyes bleed, cheers :thup:

He's not a very good writer, which for a local journalist probably not getting paid much I can sort of get over.

It's the lack of pride in his work I hate though.  You read a few lines and there's already an error, every time.  Must be zero proof reading going on.

The thing I find weird is that they could find someone a million times better at the job so easily, there's that many budding football journalists around who'd kill for a gig like that. I could recruit a vastly better option on this site in five minutes.

Guest Howaythetoon

The thing I find weird is that they could find someone a million times better at the job so easily, there's that many budding football journalists around who'd kill for a gig like that. I could recruit a vastly better option on this site in five minutes.

I would never write for that shite rag of a paper, sorry!

I appreciate your confidence in me :thup:

It'd be too thick to go through folk's letterboxes if you got involved.

Anyone reading the Chronicle are thick anyway!

Pretty much.

I think the majority of its readers these days only read it to see who's been in court this week and who's Dark Justice caught.