Open Wide For Some Soccer! - Poch to the Yanks.

Mike

Honestly Michael. The last thing you need to be doing is attempting to be boastful. You have a poor team with a lot of heart. At some point along the line, you're going to get brutally raped, and at that point you will be mocked heavily. You're already outnumbered greatly on here, you should be looking to build bridges, rather than burn them, else it's only going to get worse.

Rinse and repeat the traditional line about American soccer. "All heart, no talent." We have a great team. We have a better team than most countries in this tournament, including England. Maybe the players aren't as individually gifted (which is also debatable, because most, if not all, of these U.S. players could just as easily do the job in England, France, Italy, or Germany), but since when has that ever won a tournament alone?

Also, when was the last time the U.S. was "brutally raped" by anyone? According to the 'experts' on this forum, the U.S. was supposed to get shitkicked by England in 2010 and against Ghana and Portugal this year. Hasn't happened, and it's not gonna happen against Germany either.

Let Mike talk his bullshit, it's bound to bite us on the ass. But please desist with the old narratives.

Rich and I are cool - ain't no bother with me. :thup:

It's nothing to do with me supporting Manchester United or anything. :lol:

It was a gif of Solskjaer scything down Rob Lee mind. :lol:

You're like a 3rd tier member or something like that, Mods are vigilant at that level.

Honestly Michael. The last thing you need to be doing is attempting to be boastful. You have a poor team with a lot of heart. At some point along the line, you're going to get brutally raped, and at that point you will be mocked heavily. You're already outnumbered greatly on here, you should be looking to build bridges, rather than burn them, else it's only going to get worse.

Rinse and repeat the traditional line about American soccer. "All heart, no talent." We have a great team. We have a better team than most countries in this tournament, including England. Maybe the players aren't as individually gifted (which is also debatable, because most, if not all, of these U.S. players could just as easily do the job in England, France, Italy, or Germany), but since when has that ever won a tournament alone?

Also, when was the last time the U.S. was "brutally raped" by anyone? According to the 'experts' on this forum, the U.S. was supposed to get shitkicked by England in 2010 and against Ghana and Portugal this year. Hasn't happened, and it's not gonna happen against Germany either.

Ugh. Such nonsense. At no point did I say anything about them having no talent. I just don't believe that the US team is particularly good. And it's nothing to do with individuals vs the whole team. I'm saying, your team, as a whole, is mediocre. It is so very far from "great". I don't necessarily think that Germany will destroy you, as they have no reason to approach the game like that. However, if you were playing them in the last-16, I'd be thinking otherwise. Right now, be happy with the growth you've shown, but don't start thinking the US team is anything special, because it just isn't.

And the reason you haven't been put to the sword by a good team, is that you haven't played one, as you get knocked out by the mediocre ones, like Ghana.

As far as the individuals go? Well they're mostly good enough for the fringe of Premier League teams. Nowt to write home about, but ultimately irrelevant in the context of a World Cup.

You're like a 3rd tier member or something like that, Mods are vigilant at that level.

Third tier. :lol: Bitch, I'm famous.

:lol: The most famous 3rd tier member we have I believe.

It's a tad harsh on yourself after you got best newcomer but I'll take it. :lol:

Ugh. Such nonsense. At no point did I say anything about them having no talent. I just don't believe that the US team is particularly good. And it's nothing to do with individuals vs the whole team. I'm saying, your whole team, is mediocre. It is so very far from "great".

And the reason you haven't been put to the sword by a good team, is that you haven't played one, as you get knocked out by the mediocre ones, like Ghana.

As far as the individuals go? Well they're mostly good enough for the fringe of Premier League teams. Nowt to write home about, but ultimately irrelevant in the context of a World Cup.

They completely eliminated the counter-attack against a team that excels at the counter-attack, a team that used it to take 2 points from arguably the best team in the tournament. One can lament all of Ghana's wasted chances, but had Germany adopted the same tactics against Ghana, they might be sitting pretty on 6 points instead of 4.

And Portugal. Sure, not the best Portugal the world has ever seen. But again, still a team to always be reckoned with and still a team that many people on this very forum as of 3 days ago were predicting would crush the U.S. Old prejudices die hard.

Entering the tournament, this was the undisputed Group of Death, the group where all 4 teams realistically had a chance to progress. Then, all of a sudden, it doesn't follow the pre-determined narrative and gets written off (despite all 4 teams still having realistic chances of progressing). Ghana and Portugal become 'mediocre' and the U.S. 'gets lucky.' Meanwhile, England flops out pathetically and Group D is the new 'group to end all groups.' Costa Rica are surprisingly good (but not to anyone who took the time to watch Costa Rica the past two years, instead of writing off CONCACAF like most people do) and Uruguay are lethal, despite being the epitome of a one-man team.

If I were a betting man, I'd still put money on Germany beating the U.S. and Ghana overcoming the GD to progress. And the worst thing will be the patronizing that follows. "Oh good job, U.S., you plucky little bastards with lots of heart. Maybe you'll be a real footballing nation someday." We'll get that from Europeans no doubt, but it'll be even worse coming from pathetic American fans. Such an incredibly small-time attitude. The reality is, the U.S. is the second-best team in a group of 4 very good teams that would advance out of almost every other group and has nobody but themselves to blame if they don't advance.

I digressed a lot in that post, but fuck it.

Entering the tournament, this was the undisputed Group of Death, the group where all 4 teams realistically had a chance to progress. Then, all of a sudden, it doesn't follow the pre-determined narrative and gets written off (despite all 4 teams still having realistic chances of progressing). Ghana and Portugal become 'mediocre' and the U.S. 'gets lucky.' Meanwhile, England flops out pathetically and Group D is the new 'group to end all groups.' Costa Rica are surprisingly good (but not to anyone who took the time to watch Costa Rica the past two years, instead of writing off CONCACAF like most people do) and Uruguay are lethal, despite being the epitome of a one-man team.

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2012/9/9/ConneryFistPump.gif

Not sure how it was possible to put so many words in my mouth. Quite impressive.

The US are a mediocre team. Along with Portugal, Ghana, Italy, Uruguay, England, Spain and Belgium. None of these are great teams. I think on another day, England beat Italy, the US beat Portugal and Ghana beats the US. It's all a toss up. The only surprise to me there is that Spain have underperformed quite so much, and then Netherlands have done as well as they have.

Don't give a shit about your greater narrative about being an unnecessarily defensive American, it is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the current US national team being "great".