Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

Whew, pulled through with a 1-0 win. Let off a bit after the goal, Jamaica shouldn't have been able to put as much pressure on as they did. Except for the goal he probably should've saved, the Jamaican keeper was immense. Mariappa looked a smart player as well, should be getting more playing time for Reading.

Back 4 were outstanding. Danny Williams was lock-down at DM, absolutely should start over Beckerman and Edu. Jones, Torres, and Zusi all put in solid if not great performances. You can tell Clint still isn't 100% match fit, but he fought hard for 90+ minutes and gave the Jamaican CBs fits. And that fucking gif :lol:

The only real let down was the performance of the subs. Shea, Edu, and Altidore did jack shit after they came on and actually looked more like liabilities than anything. I'm so tired of the garbage put forth consistently by Altidore. The Eredivisie must be a putrid league if he can score as many goals as he does.

Whew, pulled through with a 1-0 win. Let off a bit after the goal, Jamaica shouldn't have been able to put as much pressure on as they did. Except for the goal he probably should've saved, the Jamaican keeper was immense. Mariappa looked a smart player as well, should be getting more playing time for Reading.

Back 4 were outstanding. Danny Williams was lock-down at DM, absolutely should start over Beckerman and Edu. Jones, Torres, and Zusi all put in solid if not great performances. You can tell Clint still isn't 100% match fit, but he fought hard for 90+ minutes and gave the Jamaican CBs fits. And that f***ing gif :lol:

The only real let down was the performance of the subs. Shea, Edu, and Altidore did jack s*** after they came on and actually looked more like liabilities than anything. I'm so tired of the garbage put forth consistently by Altidore. The Eredivisie must be a putrid league if he can score as many goals as he does.

:thup: agreed on all points with extra emphasis on how disappointing Altidore truly is. 

• 4 weeks later...

Klinsmann's squad for the October qualifiers against A&B (A) and Guatemala (H):

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8) : Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)

MIDFIELDERS (8) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders)

People feigning outrage that Altidore wasn't called up. I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced that scoring loads of goals in the Eredivisie is really indicative of anything. And his play for the national side has been so poor lately.

Altidore is disappointing to me, regardless of league he's in the club form of his life. I'd be a little more willing to accept it if Boyd or Wondolowski were called up, I mean...Alan Gordan, does he really deserve it over Wondo? Also, get fucking Beckerman out here, we have enough DM's as it is and he just sucks.

Altidore is disappointing to me, regardless of league he's in the club form of his life. I'd be a little more willing to accept it if Boyd or Wondolowski were called up, I mean...Alan Gordan, does he really deserve it over Wondo? Also, get fucking Beckerman out here, we have enough DM's as it is and he just sucks.

This is the line-up I'm expecting/wanting to see:

--------------------Gomez--------------------

Dempsey---------------------------Donovan

-------------Bradley-----Jones---------------

-------------------Williams--------------------

Johnson-------------------------Cherundolo

----------Bocanegra---Cameron------------

--------------------Howard-------------------

Beckerman absolutely shouldn't be there, but I'll bet he gets minutes.

Gomez, imo, is the best goalscorer in the bunch. Gordon is there as the strong-man, to come on with 15 left and hold the ball up top. If we're going 4-3-3 like we did against Jamaica, we really don't need more than one true striker at a time.

I would've liked to have seen Boyd, as I still rate him higher than Altidore in all-around play. But overall, I'm quite pleased with this roster.

That's what I assume it will be too, which should be good enough to get the job done. Just went over to BigSoccer to see what others were saying, big mistake, that place is insane. There's a thread about who our new manager should be as "It's clear JK isn't cut out for coaching at the international level..." Right.

I am f***ing stoked that Lazy Altidore has finally been dropped. That guy was frustrating as hell and a terrible player for our national team. We have way better striking options than him that have been overlooked because of his status as an established regular on the squad.

About damn time.

Ridiculous to leave Wondo out (though as a quakes fan I don't mind as much) though. The man has 26 goals this season! The closest guy to him has 17. Wondo is a true striker and needs to be on the pitch for America in every game imo. Alan Gordon is good too and has a knack for scoring clutch goals at the death, but he's not at the level of Wondo for just pure goal scoring ability.

That front 6 posted above is the best I've seen in ages. We have a real goal scorer, Dempsey and Donovan in the advanced roles of a front 3. Bradly, Jones in the box-to-box pulling the strings and Williams holding.

I'm with you all on Jozy. What a frustrating guy. Had such high hopes for him that he'd finally kick off at some point and lead our line like a fucking beast. He's just so worthless in our shirt.

Donovan and Shea both out, Johnson and Castillo likely to miss the A&B game at least.

Which means we travel to A&B with 16 field players, not one of them a naturally left-sided player. Klinsmann has to make at least 2 emergency call-ups. I'm calling Chris Pontius and Jonathan Spector.

Not ideal, but Bocanegra is likely gonna have to play at LB for the A&B game (as Spector probably wouldn't be ready in time). Which means there will be no attacking play down the left flank. The midfield is gonna have to adjust.

--------------------Gomez--------------------

------Dempsey---------------Zusi-----------

--------------------Kljestan-------------------

---------Bradley--------------Williams-------

Bocanegra-----------------------Cherundolo

------------Cameron----Goodson-----------

--------------------Howard-------------------

I could see Klinsmann still starting 3 DMs unfortunately. In which case we might as well completely write-off the left side of the field. I can't even begin to tell you how much I'll be raging if Beckerman starts this game. Bradley is fully capable of playing out wide on the left, but it's just not fully utilizing his ability. I certainly trust him more than Kljestan out there, who can only really play in the middle of the park.