Alexander Isak

Disco

5 minutes ago, Wilson said:

you sound as sure as the lino who couldn't have been sure considering the VAR footage wasn't even clear. 

I'm sure because I've seen the stills of when the ball was played, Isak was ahead of the defender. Doesn't matter that the linesman didn't have this footage, because he was correct. Yes it was marginal, but he was offside.

We need to stop whinging about a tight but correct call that went against us, it's pathetic. Let's not become those kind of supporters.

3 hours ago, Adam P said:

That didn't answer the question to be fair so maybe you have elsewhere. If Wilson is fit, does he replace Almiron? If he plays off Wilson as you suggest above, do we then need to change the system or not? As playing 'off the front man' is not Almiron's role. Or does he go wide and then also put the defensive shift that in that we expect from Almiron. Reasonable questions iyam and having read the transfer thread, i am pretty sure repetition isn't frowned upon. 

Think I discussed this somewhere else already regarding him playing that right side in more of a free role, and not necessarily having to cover the full back. 

Rather just wait for them to be paired together. The conversation feels like it's just going round in circles.

Its not going round in circles for me, the player has just joined and we havent seen him play in the first 11 with a fully fit squad. These are open questions so if they have been answered 'elsewhere' you could just point to where that is. You seem reluctant to nail your colours to the mast. 

No, I just can't be bothered right now. I feel like his style of play and positional versatility has been discussed more than enough. Maybe I'll dig it up later.

All I will say for certainty is he can play off the front man as a second striker or as a wide forward with freedom to find space and get on the ball, as well as make runs in behind.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

A quick browse of Transfermarkt suggests that he's played out wide four times in his entire career. It's likely to be him or Wilson you'd imagine.

He might be a good Inside forward also. Howe will make that assessment.  I'd like to see them play together.

5 hours ago, Adam P said:

That didn't answer the question to be fair so maybe you have elsewhere. If Wilson is fit, does he replace Almiron? If he plays off Wilson as you suggest above, do we then need to change the system or not? As playing 'off the front man' is not Almiron's role. Or does he go wide and then also put the defensive shift that in that we expect from Almiron. Reasonable questions iyam and having read the transfer thread, i am pretty sure repetition isn't frowned upon. 

Starting Line up for the benefit of TV fans:

ASM            Wilson          Isak

Joelinton Bruno Almiron 

Targett  Botman  Schar  Trippier

Pope

How it works in practice:

ASM          Wilson Isak       Almiron/Trippier

Targett Joelinton  Bruno Trippier/Almiron

Botman   Schar

Pope

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

No, I just can't be bothered right now. I feel like his style of play and positional versatility has been discussed more than enough. Maybe I'll dig it up later.

All I will say for certainty is he can play off the front man as a second striker or as a wide forward with freedom to find space and get on the ball, as well as make runs in behind.

Think given our business in summer it's a safe bet that Isak will play off Wilson quite a bit this season. Could see it being the go to strategy against teams we're expecting to dominate and maybe having Almiron off Isak against tougher opposition... in theory, at least. I'd imagine much will depend on who's available game to game.

What do you think his long term best position is though? Do you think long term we'll be looking to buy someone like Diaby to play off Isak or a top CF for Isak to play off?

So he can beat you with a dummy,
And he's got so much more to offer.
Watch him score goals for Newcastle,
He scores goals like they're nothing.
(Woah-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh)

He had is best season as the lone forward, no? This suggests he's comfortable playing in any of the forward areas, regardless of starting position.

In the video I watched, and against Liverpool, he seemed equally confident attacking from both sides of the pitch. And his confidence in striking the ball [powerful with his right and crafty with his weaker left] I have no worries about him turning into Joelinton [the striker].

53 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Joelinton Bruno Almiron 

Pope

Botman   Schar

Pope

Interesting. I dont think Eddie will start all 4 of them together but he could do. We will have to wait and see.

13 minutes ago, Shak said:

Think given our business in summer it's a safe bet that Isak will play off Wilson quite a bit this season. Could see it being the go to strategy against teams we're expecting to dominate and maybe having Almiron off Isak against tougher opposition... in theory, at least. I'd imagine much will depend on who's available game to game.

What do you think his long term best position is though? Do you think long term we'll be looking to buy someone like Diaby to play off Isak or a top CF for Isak to play off?

Long term he'll definitely be the main man upfront IMO. He's a modern day complete forward.

However, in the interim, he'll also be used in creative ways alongside Wilson to allow us to have our most talented players on the pitch together.

It won't be too dissimilar to the way Howe used Josh King, who played as a lead striker at times, as a second striker off Wilson, as well as in a wide forward role.

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

Joelinton Bruno Almiron 

Pope

Botman   Schar

Pope

Exactly. Nicely put :thup:

There'll be a lot more fluidity to the way it works. The starting positions won't be fixed and rigid ones.

Just now, KaKa said:

Long term he'll definitely be the main man upfront IMO. He's a modern day complete forward.

However, in the interim, he'll also be used in creative ways alongside Wilson to allow us to have our most talented players on the pitch together.

It won't be too dissimilar to the way Howe used Josh King, who played as a lead striker at times, as a second striker off Wilson, as well as in a wide forward role.

Yeah. I think more of a free role in support of Wilson, while he's perfecting his craft. Finding positions in the box that Willock should currently be finding.

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He might be but do we pay £60m on the off chance? Look what happened with Joelinton when we did vice versa.

On the off chance? No, they would have determined where they could play him as they scouted him. I'm sure they have a good idea what they want to do. I think with Big Joe, it was kind of obvious what he couldn't do well, and that's play up top.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Yeah. I think more of a free role in support of Wilson, while he's perfecting his craft. Finding positions in the box that Willock should currently be finding.

Yes, that's how I see it too. 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Exactly. Nicely put :thup:

There'll be a lot more fluidity to the way it works. The starting positions won't be fixed and rigid ones.

Yeah you have to imagine the movement of course. But I picture Almiron, Bruno and Trips as a whirlwind down the right wing, doing irreperable damage to the opposition's defensive shape. With ASM Wilson and Isak ready to pounce.

The left wing speaks for itself, but with Isak attacking the far post and Wilson in the 6 yard box, just you try doubling up on Maxi.