Alexander Isak

Disco

other games I have watched and the linesmen do not flag until after the play has finished. Why the hell he flagged when it was so close I do not know.

Tbh only technology should be used for offsides, human error is too common and linesmen should only be there to flag throw ins and foul play...

1 minute ago, buzza said:

other games I have watched and the linesmen do not flag until after the play has finished. Why the hell he flagged when it was so close I do not know.

Tbh only technology should be used for offsides, human error is too common and linesmen should only be there to flag throw ins and foul play...

All I can think is that the linesman couldn't imagine that a goal was going to come from that situation. 

2 hours ago, ohmelads said:

Those lines are manually placed by a human who eyeballs where they think it should go. You can often see them moving the mouse and picking a spot.

Going to be done by computer in near real time at the World Cup with human oversight to make sure there isn't a blip

41 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

There's actual video evidence he's very quick but he doesn't seem the type to bomb around at full pelt all the time. 

Yeah ... don't understand how it's been determined he's not that pacy from last night's game.

25 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I did see that yes, he closes down very quickly. Perhaps it's just his running style and the fact he's so tall makes it look like he's slow to speed up. Either way that Liverpool defence is one of the quickest in the league, he'll have alot of chances against more sedentary defenders.

Him and Almiron really unsettled the Liverpool defence with high intensity pressing.  A sight to behold.

11 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Not saying the VAR are 100% accurate but it wasn’t given initially and wasn’t clear and obviously wrong, so it shouldn’t be overturned. I think people forget that when they see images like that and the initial reaction is to slate VAR. No VAR and it’s still not a goal. If you want that overturned, then so should all those marginal offside calls the other way be overturned. 

Saying that, he’s sick. 

Thing is, the existence and implementation of VAR affects the decision making of the on pitch officials. Their calls now carry less responsibility as it can almost be seen as referring to a higher power, and it's the safer bet - in terms of internal professional reputation - to look like you spotted a possible infraction than to be 'sloppy' and miss something VAR has to call you back and intervene on. So I believe VAR in itself will have contributed to the guy belatedly putting the flag up himself.

And that's putting aside the rewriting of the offside rule that has taken place just to accommodate VAR in the first place. The daylight rule was much more reasonable.

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He's a long-legged loping runner, they can cover ground brilliantly. I should know. 

I can vouch for this!

Yeah he's not Henry quick but very few in history were. But he glides across the pitch in a similar fashion. Seems like he will play on the shoulder really well. Plus he has that close control technique which is a deadly combo with a bit of pace. 
Can't wait for the first game we get to unleash our full strength 11. 

1 minute ago, Adam P said:

How do Isak and Wilson fit in the same team? Looked like an out and out striker last night. Replaces Almiron in our first 11? 

We could set up similar to how City did with Haaland and Alvarez, plus in some games season before last didn't Wilson play to the right a bit? When Graeme Jones joined and we did the split striker thing (Not sure if I'm imagining this)

2 hours ago, gdm said:

What? I’m not disputing it looks onside. In my view he was onside. What I’m saying is the tweet is stupid as in the explaination of why the rashford goal was given Is if the lines are touching the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt. In the picture the lines aren’t touching 

Got you, thought you disagreed👍🏻

Wilson can drift wide but he is a lot less effective, like a very very inside forward. It's interesting I do worry they would tread on each others toes Isak has played wide a bit himself. I am wondering if the plan is to try and have a fluid front 3 where him wilson and asm drift in and out of positions so defenders never know who to mark, and trippier attacking wide right to stretch play out. If target comes inside as is the fashion of full backs, in posession and attack it will be like a front 4 of asm - wilson - isak - trippier

3 hours ago, ohmelads said:

My understanding is it has to be the referee's clear and obvious error. I agree the linesman should probably bear the brunt of the blame because he has raised his flag even though there's no way he could have reasonably seen an offside. He's guessed, and the ref has gone with it, and then so have VAR.

To my mind it's still a clear error because there's no discernible infringement (ie offside) by Isak in their images, yet he was penalised. The nonsensical lines feel like a fudged attempt to corroborate the ref/linesman and prevent a shitstorm.

It is a problem with the system but one that they've tried to clear up by giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacking player. The linesman should be honest with the referee that he needs to go to VAR, and they need to be honest when they're guessing.

Yeah it wasn’t clearly offside, but in these situations if there’s doubt (and there was) then surely you go with the original decision. Otherwise it really undermines the linesman and highlights their mistakes even more. 

I’m not anti-VAR but in an ideal world it shouldn’t be used for marginal errors like these. However, in this case I do think it was applied correctly given the current rules and limitations of it. 

1 hour ago, Adam P said:

How do Isak and Wilson fit in the same team? Looked like an out and out striker last night. Replaces Almiron in our first 11? 

I thought the same.

I don't think he has the stamina or the defensive workrate for the wide role against most opposition. At home against weaker opps when we have more of the ball - aye. But this gegenpress style team in a wide role? I don't see it outside of 12 games or when chasing.