Alexander Isak

Disco

Thought he wound the clock back last night and that I was watching Shola Ameobi the way he was disinterestingly ambling around the place. If he's crocked he shouldn't be playing because he's been a waste of a shirt the last few games, and if it's an attitude problem he needs a kick up the arse. There's a lot of them clearly running on empty atm but at least they're still putting the effort in.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Thought he wound the clock back last night and that I was watching Shola Ameobi the way he was disinterestingly ambling around the place. If he's crocked he shouldn't be playing because he's been a waste of a shirt the last few games, and if it's an attitude problem he needs a kick up the arse. There's a lot of them clearly running on empty atm but at least they're still putting the effort in.

Interesting take

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Who would you have played in his place up front in the last few games?

I honestly think he's carrying an injury and has been playing out of necessity more than anything. Funnily enough, was watching him do shooting drills at the Gallowgate ahead of Man Utd and he didn't look comfortable, almost grimacing as he hit the ball. Something's not right.

Wilson can't be relied on and is looking his age even when he's fit, definitely time to look at another striker.

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

He isn't world class. He has the potential ceiling of being just that. He has always struggled with consistency. Said it once we signed him that he's very up and down in quality.

Personally i don't think he will ever be consistent enough to be proper world class. He will have some games of that calibre though. His talent is undoubted. Hope i'm wrong...

My thoughts aswell. He had several off days last season too, but we tend to purely remember the best moments. When he's not at his best he usually does nothing. I guess there can be many reasons, but I think he is part of that problem regardless.

Edited by Erikse

19 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Who would you have played in his place up front in the last few games?

I honestly think he's carrying an injury and has been playing out of necessity more than anything. Funnily enough, was watching him do shooting drills at the Gallowgate ahead of Man Utd and he didn't look comfortable, almost grimacing as he hit the ball. Something's not right.

Wilson can't be relied on and is looking his age even when he's fit, definitely time to look at another striker.

In that case he shouldn't have come on yesterday. If he is injured he's not going to recover by playing. Gordon didn't exactly looked best pleased to be subbed for him and our attacking intensity completely died after the change.

It’s a matter of fitness, he isnt quite there in terms of staying consistent while starting 4/5 games over a 2 week period and not many of our players are currently. With Wilson back he can be utilised well again and rested enough to get the most out of him.

Edited by Nine

48 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

In that case he shouldn't have come on yesterday. If he is injured he's not going to recover by playing. Gordon didn't exactly looked best pleased to be subbed for him and our attacking intensity completely died after the change.

Gordon was injured and it was a must win game. We literally had no other options. 

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

He has been a bit disappointing of late. But Wilson starting shows what even a half fit Isak brings to the team. 

May as well have put the statue of Shearer up top in place of Wilson last night. 

Disagree. Wilson was better than Isak has been in recent weeks. 

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

The way he just jogged back on their second goal when Milan overwhelmed our defenses really pissed me off. Had only played 20 mins prior.

Thats mental, not physical causes.

Used to be my favorite, now i dont know. 

Agreed. Bruno probably more culpable imo.  Bruno has fatigue as an excuse but as the #6, he must be aware that he might have to make that challenge at all times. A striker might not realise the jeopardy. But it was very poor aye. I love how cool and composed he is. But at times - he’s far too passive. Doesn’t have that dog in him. 

17 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Gordon was injured and it was a must win game. We literally had no other options. 

Was Gordon definitely injured? It's hard to tell from up in Level 7 sometimes, but I thought he was still playing well and was our biggest attacking threat. Also didn't look best pleased about being subbed.

Trouble we've had is to rest Isak means to play Wilson, but he's been injured.

Without Wilson then we'd need to play Gordon up front to cover, so we'd need Barnes to play LW, but he's been injured.

Alternatively we could play Joelinton out on LW to cover, but all our other CMs have been injured.

Otherwise move Almiron to the left and play Murphy on the right, but Murphy's been injured.

Apart from that we're left with Ritchie and Newcastle United fan Lewis Hall, but Howe clearly doesn't fancy them right now.

Hopefully he can get a bit of R&R now we're starting to get one or two bodies back.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Was Gordon definitely injured? It's hard to tell from up in Level 7 sometimes, but I thought he was still playing well and was our biggest attacking threat. Also didn't look best pleased about being subbed.

Tight hamstring so precautionary, hopefully.

26 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

Howe said to Swedish TV that Isak hasn’t been and isn’t 100% fit. They are trying to nurse him back slowly from his last injury and he’s carrying a knock that makes him struggle going full pelt. 

Thanks. Explains a lot, and credit to Isak for playing through it in a time of need.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

No doubt about it, just not recently.

He went off injured end of October vs. Dortmund and missed an entire month before coming back v. Chelsea.

A player not playing anywhere near his best after missing a month and then immediately playing 5 games in little under 2 weeks isn't a cause for concern for me. Since he came back from injury he's been chucked in at the deep end out of desperation. Now Wilson is back (for now) we'll hopefully rotate between the two again and get them both up to speed.

20 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Tight hamstring according to Howe