Shay Given

marko1892

True.

Buffon drifts in games, Casillas is shockingly inconsistent, Cech's kicking is poor, Van Der Sar is total dog shit for top corner shots, Lehman is a total cock and vastly over-rated anyway, Reina is pathetic in the air and Given's distribution is poor.

All the worldclass keepers have their faults, i've just picked the glaringly obvious with each one. Ask a level-headed fan of each keeper and they'd point out even more.

How about Ben Foster? He has no obvious weakness, and he is good in everything. The next Peter Schmeichel. He should play between the sticks for England instead of Robinson.

laugh.gif

That you're serious is terrifying.

blueconfused.gif blueconfused.gif I honestly don't know what you are laughin at. If you are laughing at me suggesting Foster is world class, or me having yet another obssession with a Man U player, then I can "understand" your laughing while still maintaining my own opinion. But why you are laughing at my "seriousness"? It's just an honest opinion and not that Toon Taylor was making a joke post prior to mine.

Anyway, you are probably laughing even louder now. Regardless, Foster is currently the best English keeper.

Guest Invicta_Toon

bollocks, in a commercial world where a player can move for money at the drop of a hat it's a tribute/reward for staying at one particular club

you're not telling me Given could have gone else where for more money countless times while he's been here?

FFS most people in the country change jobs every 3-5 years, why should footballers be any different? No different from a long service medal

bollocks, in a commercial world where a player can move for money at the drop of a hat it's a tribute/reward for staying at one particular club

you're not telling me Given could have gone else where for more money countless times while he's been here?

FFS most people in the country change jobs every 3-5 years, why should footballers be any different? No different from a long service medal

If it's no different to a long service medal then give them one instead.

I'm sure Given will survive earning more than the average annual wage every week for his 10 years service.

Guest Invicta_Toon

If it's no different to a long service medal then give them one instead.

I'm sure Given will survive earning more than the average annual wage every week for his 10 years service.

I'm sure he won't be keeping the money either

it's a TRIBUTE, not a monetary reward. You would rather turn up for a medal presentation would you?

Only made it thanks to his loan spell here  :winking:.  Was possibly the best young keeper I've seen.  Was confident in all of his abilities even at the age of 19.  If I recall correctly there was only one occasion where he let in more than two goals in a game here. Away to Watford, always looked like he could be one of the best in England.  Shame we couldn't afford him at the time.  Newcastle got themselves a great bargain getting him, and he's payed them back on many an occasion.

it's a TRIBUTE, not a monetary reward. You would rather turn up for a medal presentation would you?

I don't see any point in testimonials for Premiership players, I'm sure Given knows what the fans think of him.  Rob Lee was just as loyal, possibly more so considering what he had to put up with during the reign of Gullit yet the few who turned up made it embarrassing.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I don't see any point in testimonials for Premiership players, I'm sure Given knows what the fans think of him.  Rob Lee was just as loyal, possibly more so considering what he had to put up with during the reign of Gullit yet the few who turned up made it embarrassing.

aye well the point about doing while you're still a current player has been made up there somewhere

to be honest, he isn't quite as good as some like to make out either

a goalkeeper's main reason for being there is to save shots, but they are also responsible for preventing opportunities (box domination) and distributing the ball effectively, Shay is average at very best in these aspects.

great keeper, but the 'elite' don't have any weaknesses

Everybody has weaknesses.

The likes of Henry and Ronaldinho would be in the so called 'elite' group of footballers. But they have weaknesses. Its just that their strenghts overshadow their weaknesses most of the time.

True.

Buffon drifts in games, Casillas is shockingly inconsistent, Cech's kicking is poor, Van Der Sar is total dog shit for top corner shots, Lehman is a total cock and vastly over-rated anyway, Reina is pathetic in the air and Given's distribution is poor.

All the worldclass keepers have their faults, i've just picked the glaringly obvious with each one. Ask a level-headed fan of each keeper and they'd point out even more.

Kicking apart Cech is a pretty flawless keeper.

My problem with Shay is that he doesn't command his area enough, he rarely comes out and catches/punches the ball. On top form I'd have 3 or 4 Premiership goalies over Shay.

As much as it sounds I'm not having a pop at Shay whose been a fantastic player for us but he isn't/never was the best goalie in the Premiership.

Given is one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership history

And he deserves a testimonial at least for the fact that he signed new deal with us when he had the opportunity to join Man Utd or Arsenal!

Thanks Shay :thup:

a goalkeeper's main reason for being there is to save shots, but they are also responsible for preventing opportunities (box domination) and distributing the ball effectively, Shay is average at very best in these aspects.

The likes of Henry and Ronaldinho would be in the so called 'elite' group of footballers. But they have weaknesses. Its just that their strenghts overshadow their weaknesses most of the time.

True.

My problem with Shay is that he doesn't command his area enough, he rarely comes out and catches/punches the ball. On top form I'd have 3 or 4 Premiership goalies over Shay.

As much as it sounds I'm not having a pop at Shay whose been a fantastic player for us but he isn't/never was the best goalie in the Premiership.

I can remember Cech making at least 3 major blunders last season. So I wouldnt say he's flawless.

Given has been the best keeper in the league for the last two seasons, no doubt about it.

True.

I can remember Cech making at least 3 major blunders last season. So I wouldnt say he's flawless.

Given has been the best keeper in the league for the last two seasons, no doubt about it.

And I'm sure Given made 3 goal costing mistakes as well. And when I say flawless I mean in his attributes. They've missed his presence and his command of his area, he instills confidence in the defenders. They wouldn't have lost against Boro if Cech was in goal.

IMO Lehmann was by FAR the best goalkeeper in the league last year. Given maybe the best shot stopper but altogether Lehmann is a better goalkeeper. Given is a very cautious GK.

Guest Knightrider

Bull.

ALL players have their flaws and weaknesses regardless of their ability/level - especially goalkeepers. Shay has his but he isn't alone and where he's weaker than some he's stronger than others so overall he's a pretty damned good 'keeper, in the top 5 bracket without a doubt.

Only made it thanks to his loan spell here  :winking:.  Was possibly the best young keeper I've seen.  Was confident in all of his abilities even at the age of 19.  If I recall correctly there was only one occasion where he let in more than two goals in a game here. Away to Watford, always looked like he could be one of the best in England.  Shame we couldn't afford him at the time.  Newcastle got themselves a great bargain getting him, and he's payed them back on many an occasion.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_football/GIVEN_Shay_19960121_SF_L.jpg

I can't believe you lot made him wear that kit.

Guest Knightrider

Im 99% sure Shay will give any testimonial money to a cancer charity so its all worth it  :thup:

Shoe in, as he's a big charity man for Macmillan cancer.

True.

How about Ben Foster? He has no obvious weakness, and he is good in everything. The next Peter Schmeichel. He should play between the sticks for England instead of Robinson.

Peter Schmeichel, the best goalkeeper since Lev Yashin. Jesus wept! :lol:

Anyone remember the game against Coventry in 97 or 98 when Dublin scored one of the most funniest goals of football history?

Given catched the ball from a cross and after 4-5 seconds he put the ball on the ground but he didnt saw Dublin who was behind him...the rest is history :lol:

Thats why Shay looks everytime behind him before he put the ball on the ground

True.

And I'm sure Given made 3 goal costing mistakes as well. And when I say flawless I mean in his attributes. They've missed his presence and his command of his area, he instills confidence in the defenders. They wouldn't have lost against Boro if Cech was in goal.

IMO Lehmann was by FAR the best goalkeeper in the league last year. Given maybe the best shot stopper but altogether Lehmann is a better goalkeeper. Given is a very cautious GK.

WHAT!!!! The amount of mistakes Lehmann made last season, not to mention the last game against Wigan. And he's so uncertain while coming out to catch things, and on set pieces. Seems to fumble those an awful lot.

And then the game against Chelsea this season, he made three clear blunders, letting out the ball from his hands but Chelsea hit the post everytime.

Im not saying players should be judged on one game, but Lehamnn is extremely error prone. I wouldnt even have him in my top 5 keepers of the year let alone the best! He did well in the CL but that was about it. No wonder Arsenal keep getting linked with keepers, Lehmann's a liability IMO.

Guest Knightrider

Lehman :lol:

Any 'keeper that can be GOT AT mentally is a liability. You bump into Lehman and he loses it, send in some high crosses and put him under pressure and he starts to flap. Good shotstopper, average at the rest.

Lehman is the less talented German version of David James.

Cech is a top top 'keeper but how much of his game depends on Terry and co? Whenever I've seen him play for his country he doesn't look so strong, so the jury is still out. Put him behind Bramble and co for a few years, lets see what that does to his game...

Back to Shay - I value consistency above most things in a 'keeper and Shay is consistently excellent and therefore, for me, one of the best at what he does in the world.

Any 'keeper that can be GOT AT mentally is a liability. You bump into Lehman and he loses it, send in some high crosses and put him under pressure and he starts to flap. Good shotstopper, average at the rest.

Cech is a top top 'keeper but how much of his game depends on Terry and co? Whenever I've seen him play for his country he doesn't look so strong, so the jury is still out. Put him behind Bramble and co for a few years, lets see what that does to his game...

Back to Shay - I value consistency above most things in a 'keeper and Shay is consistently excellent and therefore, for me, one of the best at what he does in the world.

Aye, imagine Shay playing behind people like Toure or Terry.

And then imagine Lehmann playing behind somone like Bramble, that would be an absolute circus :lol:

Cech was brillant against Ghana in the World Cup and if your memory goes back even further watch that Holland vs Czech Republic game at Euro 2004.

In the big games Lehmann was excellent last year.

But consistently Given was better and I'm sure he had a lot more to deal with as Newcastle 'keeper than Lehmann did.

My mate's a gooner and he's been wanting them to sign Given for years. Not surprising given the blinders he's played against them, this season being yet another example.

I wouldn't swap Given for any goalkeeper, simply because I believe he's world class and is well established here.