Shay Given

marko1892

True.

Buffon drifts in games, Casillas is shockingly inconsistent, Cech's kicking is poor, Van Der Sar is total dog shit for top corner shots, Lehman is a total cock and vastly over-rated anyway, Reina is pathetic in the air and Given's distribution is poor.

All the worldclass keepers have their faults, i've just picked the glaringly obvious with each one. Ask a level-headed fan of each keeper and they'd point out even more.

How about Ben Foster? He has no obvious weakness, and he is good in everything. The next Peter Schmeichel. He should play between the sticks for England instead of Robinson.

Peter Schmeichel, the best goalkeeper since Lev Yashin. Jesus wept! :lol:

Love the way you always go on about all these old players, despite being old enough to be their grandkids. :lol:

True.

Buffon drifts in games, Casillas is shockingly inconsistent, Cech's kicking is poor, Van Der Sar is total dog shit for top corner shots, Lehman is a total cock and vastly over-rated anyway, Reina is pathetic in the air and Given's distribution is poor.

All the worldclass keepers have their faults, i've just picked the glaringly obvious with each one. Ask a level-headed fan of each keeper and they'd point out even more.

How about Ben Foster? He has no obvious weakness, and he is good in everything. The next Peter Schmeichel. He should play between the sticks for England instead of Robinson.

Love the way you always go on about all these old players, despite being old enough to be their grandkids. :lol:

Schmeichel was honestly on a different planet though man than anything since Yashin, with Gordon Banks obviously giving him a run for his money. But seriously have you ever seen a keeper even close to Schmeichel? best player in the history of The Premiership in my eyes.

Guest Knightrider

True.

:lol:

I've noticed that too.

Lehman :lol:

Any 'keeper that can be GOT AT mentally is a liability. You bump into Lehman and he loses it, send in some high crosses and put him under pressure and he starts to flap. Good shotstopper, average at the rest.

Lehman is the less talented German version of David James.

Cech is a top top 'keeper but how much of his game depends on Terry and co? Whenever I've seen him play for his country he doesn't look so strong, so the jury is still out. Put him behind Bramble and co for a few years, lets see what that does to his game...

Back to Shay - I value consistency above most things in a 'keeper and Shay is consistently excellent and therefore, for me, one of the best at what he does in the world.

Cech was brillant against Ghana in the World Cup and if your memory goes back even further watch that Holland vs Czech Republic game at Euro 2004.

I didn't see those games but I remember Shay against Holland a few years ago, Iran and some other big big games where he was fantastic.

In the big games Lehmann was excellent last year.

But consistently Given was better and I'm sure he had a lot more to deal with as Newcastle 'keeper than Lehmann did.

My mate's a gooner and he's been wanting them to sign Given for years. Not surprising given the blinders he's played against them, this season being yet another example.

I wouldn't swap Given for any goalkeeper, simply because I believe he's world class and is well established here.

He does play very well against Arsenal. That amazing save from Henry last season, and then that game in the 04-05 season where he single handedly kept them out. And I can remember that fanstastic save from the head to keep out a dodgy Bramble clearance a few seasons ago.

No wonder they were linked with him before he extended his contract this year, was immensely relieved after he signed it because I was sure a big club would come in for him soon.

True.

Schmeichel was honestly on a different planet though man than anything since Yashin, with Gordon Banks obviously giving him a run for his money. But seriously have you ever seen a keeper even close to Schmeichel? best player in the history of The Premiership in my eyes.

No, no, Schmeichel is the best keeper i've ever seen, fucking class.

I was referring to the Yashin, and now the Banks references etc. ;)

Guest Knightrider

True.

How many times did you see Yashin and Banks in action to qualify those statements? ;)

I agree about Schmeichel though, best 'keeper I've ever seen, head and shoulders above them all, even wor Shay.

True.

I agree about Schmeichel though, best 'keeper I've ever seen, head and shoulders above them all, even wor Shay.

Yeah, he's the best I've ever seen, too.

True.

How many times did you see Yashin and Banks in action to qualify those statements? ;)

Saw alot of footage from Yashin from the early 60's such as Euro Championship in 1960, and a few matches from the '58 World Cup.

Saw all of England's games from '66 and '70 and more footage of Banks as I know a load who's a Stoke fan and has shown me plenty footage of him. Only man I've ever seen make a mug of Banks was George Best... not once twice may I add.

Guest Knightrider

He had no weaknesses, he was just phenomenal and for me is one of the best ever players I've seen play, never mind best 'keeper.

True.

Saw alot of footage from Yashin from the early 60's such as Euro Championship in 1960, and a few matches from the '58 World Cup.

Saw all of England's games from '66 and '70 and more footage of Banks as I know a load who's a Stoke fan and has shown me plenty footage of him. Only man I've ever seen make a mug of Banks was George Best... not once twice may I add.

Fair enough.

I got the impression you'd seen a lot of YouTube compliations, a la Luque. ;)

Guest Knightrider

True.

I was only messing man, I share your fascination with past players, especially of the Hughie and Gallacher variety who according to me is the best ever player to have played for us, despite never seeing him play ;)

Bert Trautman was a top 'keeper BTW, I don't know if you've seen any footage of him but from what I've seen I think he had it all as well, so did Ronnie Simpson who played for us and then Celtic (winning the European Cup), he was a great 'keeper despite his height and stature. And remember in them days they had no gloves and the ball was like a brick.

Simpson: http://www.khscott.org.uk/nufc/matches/player_detail.php?id=690

Trautman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautmann

True.

I was only messing man, I share your fascination with past players, especially of the Hughie and Gallacher variety who according to me is the best ever player to have played for us, despite never seeing him play ;)

Bert Trautman was a top 'keeper BTW, I don't know if you've seen any footage of him but from what I've seen I think he had it all as well, so did Ronnie Simpson who played for us and then Celtic (winning the European Cup), he was a great 'keeper despite his height and stature. And remember in them days they had no gloves and the ball was like a brick.

Simpson: http://www.khscott.org.uk/nufc/matches/player_detail.php?id=690

Trautman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautmann

I'm well familiar with them both may I add. Simpson in particular as me granda always goes on about him being the best keeper he's ever seen for us.

What was more remarkable about Trautmann apart from the broken neck thing was how he overcame adversity post war during his time at Citeh due to all the prejudices in front of him.

Only made it thanks to his loan spell here  :winking:.  Was possibly the best young keeper I've seen.  Was confident in all of his abilities even at the age of 19.  If I recall correctly there was only one occasion where he let in more than two goals in a game here. Away to Watford, always looked like he could be one of the best in England.  Shame we couldn't afford him at the time.  Newcastle got themselves a great bargain getting him, and he's payed them back on many an occasion.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_football/GIVEN_Shay_19960121_SF_L.jpg

I can't believe you lot made him wear that kit.

I don't know what you mean.  It's a marvelous  kit, one of my favourite keeper kits from Sunderland.

Lehman :lol:

Any 'keeper that can be GOT AT mentally is a liability. You bump into Lehman and he loses it, send in some high crosses and put him under pressure and he starts to flap. Good shotstopper, average at the rest.

Lehman is the less talented German version of David James.

Cech is a top top 'keeper but how much of his game depends on Terry and co? Whenever I've seen him play for his country he doesn't look so strong, so the jury is still out. Put him behind Bramble and co for a few years, lets see what that does to his game...

Back to Shay - I value consistency above most things in a 'keeper and Shay is consistently excellent and therefore, for me, one of the best at what he does in the world.

Given never comes out for anything. So the only things he has to worry is shot stopping and his kicking. Lehmann often relieves the defence when he collects the ball, Given doesn't tend to do this so he can't be critcized for fumbling.

When the last minute penalty was given to Villareal Lehmann did his crazy German act but when it came down to business you could tell he was going to save the penalty.....well that and the scared shitless look on Riquelme's face. And that's another thing, the crazy German has probably saved more penalties in his 3 years at Arsenal than Shay has with us (And Shays had alot of practice)

Shay often lets the ball bounce in and around the 6 yard area whilst not a blatant mistake it does cost us goals.

I consider Lehmann the less error-prone version of David James, who is a magnificent 'keeper as well.

I can't say how much of Cech's game relies on Terry & Co. but I can say how much Terry & Co.'s game relies on Cech. I cite the 'Boro game as an example, the defence looked nervous and uncertain with the same players who played with Cech. Cech consistantly relieves pressure from the defence by coming and collecting crosses thus escaping the scrappy clearences that woulf follow if he did a Shay Given.

Back to Shay- He is consistantly a great shot stopper but there is more to being a goalkeeper than that.

TCD, a couple of times you've mentioned that Boro defeat at the start of the season as an endorsement of Petr Cech. Last season Boro beat them 3-0 at the Riverside, with Cech heavily at fault for at least one of the goals.

Guest thompers

I think Shay's been shite this season. Not made many of those classy stops we're used to seeing and he's let sloppy goals in on numerous occasions. If his form doesn't pick up maybe it's time to give Krul a chance.