Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Pogba on for Di Maria, pretty much sums up what's wrong with some of these "big" European sides

Replacing a star with a star?

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

If by star you mean overpriced flop, robbing massive wages for little in return, aye

Hasn’t Pogba been injured for most of the season? 

After all feast of high quality action this week it's going to be a real come down tomorrow when we all tune into Sheff Wed Vs Peterborough for our Football Fix :lol:

I’m glad Europe has three tournaments again.  I get why the Cup Winner’s Cup was scrapped - most European nations don’t give a shite about their domestic cups.  But there was a massive hole caused by its absence and a bloated revised European Cup.

Personally, I’d happily see the European Cup to return to being what it was, which would help restore Eastern European football.  No chance that’s happening now though.  

14 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Conference League is a joke competition, what was the point in it? If we won it I wouldn't really see it as a trophy win tbh.

Loads of money gets distributed to smaller leagues and teams, such an elitist view to bash it.

20 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Conference League is a joke competition, what was the point in it? If we won it I wouldn't really see it as a trophy win tbh.

eh?

i still count our fairs cup triumph as a massive achievement.

always were 3 euro competitions till they scrapped the CWC.

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It would sit above a League Cup straight away for me.

Really? Not for me the level of opposition in it is really poor.

Plus the LC has history.

I'm probably been a bit harsh considering it's only been around a year or so but it just seems a bit of a farce competition to me.

I don't know why the UECL exists tbph. If they wanted clubs from lesser leagues involved in UEFA competitions they should've either expanded the Europa League or had the UECL as a tournament for just those lesser leagues, offering a chance of getting into the Europa League by winning it rather than being dumped out of third or fourth qualifying round which is what tended to happen.

Either that or bring the Cup Winners' Cup back. 

I also don't like the group stages with the Europa League.

From what I remember the UEFA Cup was just straight KO all the way through wasn't it? It was more fun when it was like that was almost like the CL was group stages and UEFA a straight KO.

10 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Really? Not for me the level of opposition in it is really poor.

Plus the LC has history.

I'm probably been a bit harsh considering it's only been around a year or so but it just seems a bit of a farce competition to me.

They all have to start somewhere :)

History means a lot too - but it’s UEFA’s third competition.  I’m really glad they’ve started it up - and that Roma won the first iteration, which raises the profile.

I personally hate what the ‘Champions League’ has become - the nadir was the Liverpool vs Spurs final - two clubs which hadn’t won a domestic title in a combined total of c.90 years vying to become champions of Europe.  Fucking ludicrous.  There’s no fixing that now, but a third tournament means more clubs have a chance to compete, and it presents a chance for some of the nations which used to be competitive to be so in Europe again.

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I don't know why the UECL exists tbph. If they wanted clubs from lesser leagues involved in UEFA competitions they should've either expanded the Europa League or had the UECL as a tournament for just those lesser leagues, offering a chance of getting into the Europa League by winning it rather than being dumped out of third or fourth qualifying round which is what tended to happen.

Either that or bring the Cup Winners' Cup back. 

No, it’s absolutely correct that all European nations have entries.  I detest the smug elitism of the ‘big five’ European leagues.  As if fucking PSG or RB Leipzig have better pedigree than Dynamo Kiev, Steaua Bucharest or Red Star Belgrade.