Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

3 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Fucking hell Burnley are bad.

Not seen a more pointless promotion than that lot (and Sheffield United) for many years. 

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Can you read? I said he's the best manager in the world.

For someone called Pata, your conversation is shite :lol:

XG is just one way to say Man City have dominated. Would you prefer if I said goal attempts are 21-2 without any context of how good the chances have been?

And what the fuck does the nickname of my local ice hockey team have to do with my patter skills?

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Not seen a more pointless promotion than that lot (and Sheffield United) for many years. 

Thing is, everyone expected Sheff Utd to be terrible as they sold all their best players before the season started, one of which was to Burnley.

Burnley spent a fortune to be just as bad as Sheff Utd

8 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

Any idea what this might look like?

Asking as I think it’s the first with our the grealish wiggle room?

Well, we moved Archer, A Ramsey, Azaz and Philogene, all home grown, on for a total of 42m or so, and then there was Chukwuemeka for 20m, so that's 60m+ of home grown sales to at least create some room. Ings we got 15 back for, too, so we do do a fair bit of selling as well as buying.

Zaniolo, I am 99% sure, we will not take up the option to buy on, so that's 22m or so 'unspent' but on the whole, we have the same problem you do - there's plenty of money available to spend, but we can't spend it because of FFP.

I dunno, though. 

Honestly struggle with the fume some people have with xG, it's just another stat that's usually way better than the old ones although not perfect. Fucking cavemen. :lol:

Just now, Pata said:

Honestly struggle with the fume some people have with xG, it's just another stat that's usually way better than the old ones although not perfect. Fucking cavemen. :lol:

It's a shit attempt to bring scientific rigour to Ando on Radio Newcastle going, "ahhhwwwhhhh, he's got to score". I prefer Ando's version

Just now, Pata said:

I wish xG was around during the pardew days, would've shown how lucky we were in many matches.

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

It's weird, when Luton basically said at the start of the season they wouldn't spend stupid money to try and stop up, and instead would use the money from this season plus the parachute money to build what they really need - a new stadium - it felt like they'd given up from the off, but then on extra thought, it looked surprisingly sensible. Only for them to now go on and look like they are having a proper go at it.

Sheffield United are absolutely shit, though. They haven't even tried and have no excuse for it.

Also re Luton, I hope they stay up for Rob Edwards who is, like you and me, toon25, a Villa fan.

Just now, El Prontonise said:

I wish xG was around during the pardew days, would've shown how lucky we were in many matches.

Aye, think that data was done but it's not available anywhere. Remember seeing it used as an extreme example of good luck in some article I read years ago.

Just now, brummie said:

Sheffield United are absolutely shit, though. They haven't even tried and have no excuse for it.

They're skint aren't they? They were under transfer embargo in the Championship I think

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

In Pardew times XG would have been more appropriate as 'expected grimness', with one value, "off the scale".

1 minute ago, Pata said:

I had an xG of 0.87 on a night out last night, chatted up loads of lasses but they all fobbed me off cos I’m a nerd and I went home alone for a Pot Noodle and a wank 

My pal had an xG of 0.04 but was balls deep all night in a Raleigh Burner, she was a proppa glamma thing 

So I win yeah ? 

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

I had an xG of 0.87 on a night out last night, chatted up loads of lasses but they all fobbed me off cos I’m a nerd and I went home alone for a Pot Noodle and a wank 

My pal had an xG of 0.04 but was balls deep all night in a Raleigh Burner, she was a proppa glamma thing 

So I win yeah ? 

:lol: exactly this, aye

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

So I win yeah ? 

Yeah, massive lad.

6 minutes ago, Pata said:

Its overuse is my biggest problem with it. In isolation it's a decent stat, like shots, possession etc, but it often becomes a lazy way of analysing a game.  

It's also generally misused. Particularly hate the phrase "they're over-performing their xG" as if it's a negative trait, when an alternative way of phrasing that would be "they have signed players that are clinical in front of goal" (and the opposite for "underperforming xG"). 

It's a decent way of identifying how creative a team is, but fails to reflect some of the most important aspects of the game (errors from the opponents, wonder goals, individual quality etc). 

Just now, Andy said:

but misses certain aspects of the game (errors from the opponents, wonder goals, individual quality etc). 

That's really the beginning and the end of it for me. So much of football is about these things.

8 minutes ago, Pata said:

C'mon its all bollocks really 

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

Its overuse is my biggest problem with it. In isolation it's a decent stat, like shots, possession etc, but it often becomes a lazy way of analysing a game.  

It's also generally misused. Particularly hate the phrase "they're over-performing their xG" as if it's a negative trait, when an alternative way of phrasing that would be "they have signed players that are clinical in front of goal" (and the opposite for "underperforming xG"). 

It's a decent way of identifying how creative a team is, but fails to reflect some of the most important aspects of the game (errors from the opponents, wonder goals, individual quality etc). 

I'm with you on this. 

I see the point of it. It still manages to annoy me, though.