Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

34 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Oh no, people are generally agreed I think - across the podcasts too. The Fighting Cock suggested we kick off, run up our own end and smash it in. Then do that again 99 times. Crowd cheering every goal, everyone doing the Poznan etc etc

Which is all very well, and very understandable, but what if Villa lose a couple, and suddenly you winning gets CL football…

58 minutes ago, SteV said:

Which is all very well, and very understandable, but what if Villa lose a couple, and suddenly you winning gets CL football…

From what I understand Spurs fans would rather have europa than Arsenal win the league 

16 minutes ago, TRC said:

From what I understand Spurs fans would rather have europa than Arsenal win the league 

If that’s the case then they’re taking it too far IMO.

If that was us and Sunderland were going for the title (yes, pigs flying etc) surely you’d just have to suck it up and have them win it, rather than be significantly detrimental to your own club.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Some debate over that, but I think in general if it’s a choice between Arsenal winning the league and us missing out on CL most Spurs fans would happily take the Europa.

It helps that there’s a genuine perception that we’re improving in our rebuild and the CL might come too soon. Also we’ve been in the CL a ton and though the money is great there’s not the same need that Villa have. Most importantly though, and I cannot stress this enough, fuck Arsenal.

15 minutes ago, SteV said:

If that was us and Sunderland were going for the title (yes, pigs flying etc) surely you’d just have to suck it up and have them win it, rather than be significantly detrimental to your own club.

Nah way.

5 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Some debate over that, but I think in general if it’s a choice between Arsenal winning the league and us missing out on CL most Spurs fans would happily take the Europa.

It helps that there’s a genuine perception that we’re improving in our rebuild and the CL might come too soon. Also we’ve been in the CL a ton and though the money is great there’s not the same need that Villa have. Most importantly though, and I cannot stress this enough, fuck Arsenal.

Noticed you are linker with Eze now. Would this be to replace Maddison? It's an interesting link

3 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I do get all that, and we all do get caught up in our own local rivalries. 

It just feels like it’s straying into small-time mentality IMO.

Obviously, I can say all this comfortable in the knowledge that it would take a footballing event of cataclysmic proportions to ever find ourselves faced with the same dilemma.

11 minutes ago, SteV said:

Detrimental to an extent, but not too much, as we’re financially stronger and rebuilding on the pitch. And being back in North London (my rightful home, unlike those plonkers) them winning would be significantly detrimental to my own well-being.

I would suggest that if you were in our position the majority would agree with me.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Obviously, I can say all this comfortable in the knowledge that it would take a footballing event of cataclysmic proportions to ever find ourselves faced with the same dilemma.

I’m pretty confident that we’re going to be challenging for CL places for a while - we’ve been in it most years recently. Financially it would help but not be as crucial as for - say - Villa. Arguably it would be more small-time to think missing out on the Cl would be disastrous. 

If we don’t have these rivalries then what’s the point tbh.

Just now, leffe186 said:

Detrimental to an extent, but not too much, as we’re financially stronger and rebuilding on the pitch. And being back in North London (my rightful home, unlike those plonkers) them winning would be significantly detrimental to my own well-being.

I would suggest that if you were in our position the majority would agree with me.

Maybe. Although you’ve seen Arsenal win the league, multiple times. If they were to do it again, although I’m sure very painful in the short term, it wouldn’t be the kind of gigantic event that would be talked about forever.

Sunderland winning the league would be on a par with Leicester, and they would, rightfully, dine out on it forever.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Maybe. Although you’ve seen Arsenal win the league, multiple times. If they were to do it again, although I’m sure very painful in the short term, it wouldn’t be the kind of gigantic event that would be talked about forever.

Sunderland winning the league would be on a par with Leicester, and they would, rightfully, dine out on it forever.

We’ve qualified for the CL a ton recently.  Arsenal haven’t won the Premier League for twenty years. There are dozens, maybe even hundreds of Arsenal fans who have never ever seen their team won the League. It’s far more important to me that they do not feel that joy (hopefully ever) than we qualify for the CL over the Europa. 

I am genuinely blown away that you are even considering this :lol:. I think you need better rivals.

5 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

We’ve qualified for the CL a ton recently.  Arsenal haven’t won the Premier League for twenty years. There are dozens, maybe even hundreds of Arsenal fans who have never ever seen their team won the League. It’s far more important to me that they do not feel that joy (hopefully ever) than we qualify for the CL over the Europa. 

I am genuinely blown away that you are even considering this :lol:. I think you need better rivals.

Remind me, where did they seal that league win again?  

3 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

OK, I suppose given your recent history of qualifying for the CL, I can perhaps see that the prize on your side isn’t big enough to warrant having to stomach the prize on their side.

How you go about enduring a game where you actively have to want your side, who you like as individuals and it’s not a wanting the manager out situation, to lose, I’m not sure. I think I just wouldn’t attend/watch.

Just now, SteV said:

OK, I suppose given your recent history of qualifying for the CL, I can perhaps see that the prize on your side isn’t big enough to warrant having to stomach the prize on their side.

How you go about enduring a game where you actively have to want your side, who you like as individuals and it’s not a wanting the manager out situation, to lose, I’m not sure. I think I just wouldn’t attend/watch.

It happened in 1999.

32 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I lived in muswell hill for twenty years and still have a lot of good mates who are spurs fans and this is the general feeling amongst them as well.

They seriously hate arsenal with a passion.

10 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I don’t remember anything between Gazza and Martin Jol.

Fair :lol:

TBF to Spurs as well there’s a huge chance you don’t have anything to play for by the time City comes round so it’s no surprise you lads would want to throw it. 

1 hour ago, SteV said:

It's kind of like Man Utd fans saying that they hope they lose to Man City just so that Liverpool may not win the league. With Man City even being a local rival. I think that usually it's also a way of coping, like they know they will probably lose the game anyways. Because if they win they still celebrate and boast about it, even when they say before the game that they wanted Man City to beat them.

6 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I’m pretty confident that we’re going to be challenging for CL places for a while - we’ve been in it most years recently. Financially it would help but not be as crucial as for - say - Villa. Arguably it would be more small-time to think missing out on the Cl would be disastrous. 

If we don’t have these rivalries then what’s the point tbh.

You're in effect counting on Man Utd and Chelsea remaining shit, with the likes of us and Villa continuing to be held back a bit. Getting CL this year would give you a bit of a head start on 3 of those clubs next season at the very least. Europa League and you're on par. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

You're in effect counting on Man Utd and Chelsea remaining shit, with the likes of us and Villa continuing to be held back a bit. Getting CL this year would give you a bit of a head start on 3 of those clubs next season at the very least. Europa League and you're on par. 

Spurs are the fourth largest by revenue, if they spend what they earn they can be relaxed about missing out. They are double us and Villa and both Manchester red and Liverpool will likely be going through transition next season. 

I'm not so sure.

There might be a couple of clubs transitioning but the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea will come back eventually. Missing out on the CL a second season has shades of us in Bobby's last two seasons losing to Partizan then finishing 5th. We've only just recovered.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

8 hours ago, Gawalls said:

I lived in muswell hill for twenty years and still have a lot of good mates who are spurs fans and this is the general feeling amongst them as well.

They seriously hate arsenal with a passion.

Don’t think I knew that - whereabouts? I lived in Muswell Hill for years and my sister has been living there for ages. I miss it but could never afford a place there now.

4 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Don’t think I knew that - whereabouts? I lived in Muswell Hill for years and my sister has been living there for ages. I miss it but could never afford a place there now.

I miss it as well - I lived on Alexandra park Road, opposite the Maid of Muswell pub most of the time but also lived on Grasmere Road.

renting obviously as the houses cost millions there - I like it because it hasn’t got a tube station of its own so has a cut off feel about it.

Edited by Gawalls

52 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm not so sure.

There might be a couple of clubs transitioning but the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea will come back eventually. Missing out on the CL a second season has shades of us in Bobby's last two seasons losing to Partizan then finishing 5th. We've only just recovered.

With the amount of money coming from the Premier League now the differential and importance of CL qualification - while still significant - is not as extreme as it used to be. That’s part of the reason why there’s more parity and fluidity at the top now. It’s just less critical to qualify.

I do agree that all things being equal I’d love to finish 4th this year, but the specific question is whether we would stomach Arsenal winning the league to achieve that, and that’s where the balance is tipped.