Still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

Can someone explain what they've been charged with please? They posted a loss of over £300 million, but it's been calculated as a £125m loss, which is £15m over the FFP threshold; is that right? So they've been given a 10 point reduction for going £15m over FFP?

Are Man City gonna end up playing Kings Lynn soon?

They've overspent badly, most the players they bought lost value so couldn't be sold on for profit. There is also ongoing suspicion a large amount of their funds came from Usmanov via Moshiri and now Usmanov is sanctioned the money has dried up. They have spent a lot of money on the new stadium but do not have enough finance to complete it on understanding they would get that investment. If they haven't built the stadium before a certain date they are contractually obliged to pay for what is build to be demolished and the site restored to what it was, which would cost substantially more than just finishing it at this point but is a cripping liability if it happens. They are pinning hopes on the 777 group takeover going through even though they are clearly dodgy and debatable if they have any money anyway. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Can someone explain what they've been charged with please? They posted a loss of over £300 million, but it's been calculated as a £125m loss, which is £15m over the FFP threshold; is that right? So they've been given a 10 point reduction for going £15m over FFP?

Drove through King's Lynn this week, could only..think about previous FM saves and where is the ground. :milner:

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

It all seems shite to me. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd have have a poor season and they're allowed to throw £200m at it to fix it. Anyone outside the top 6 gambles and they're fucked. Have to sell players, fall down the table, etc. That's the exact opposite of "financial fair play" to me. 

They are actually quite fortunate it's happened this season (Obviously they'd rather it didn't happen at all) but the bottom of the league is so tragic that with this points deduction they are only one win from getting out of it

And they are the most in from side from those towards the bottom

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Sounds like the PL don't believe they've behaved in good faith during the investigation, which has been taken into account of as well.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It all seems shite to me. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd have have a poor season and they're allowed to throw £200m at it to fix it. Anyone outside the top 6 gambles and they're fucked. Have to sell players, fall down the table, etc. That's the exact opposite of "financial fair play" to me. 

Thankfully we have Everton to champion how FFP is actually an anti-competiton ruling and limits the growth of any clubs that weren't given the 15 year led in to spend as they wished and grow a commercial revenue. GO EVERTON! :juicy:

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Write offs for infrastructure, community, womans football etc - That football finance bloke, Maguire?, has just said on SSN if they'd taken out a bank loan for financing their new stadium instead of taking a "loan" from their owner, they would have been ok ;D 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Are Everton in financial trouble or is it just because they've spent how they have? If it's the second bit then FFP is crooked as fuck. 

Pretty sure it's because they've spent how they have, making too many losses over a consecutive period. 

That said, they also need to spend a lot on a new stadium and their billionaire owner (who overspent) is selling up to a group who aren't exactly loaded, so might struggle financially in the future.

But it's the first one they're in trouble over, not for being in financial trouble.

The precedent has now been set by the PL, I can see a lot of teams now saying fuck it, let’s smash FFP this season and take the 10point Hit.  If we had done that this season for instance we would have a far better squad and still be in 16th place 

1 minute ago, Mag3.14 said:

That football finance bloke, Maguire?, has just said on SSN if they'd taken out a bank loan for financing their new stadium instead of taking a "loan" from their owner, they would have been ok

Then Chelsea should be fucked, as didn't Abramovich give them interest free loans totalling £2bn? [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This. 

If it was really fair, you'd have a spending cap that applies to all clubs based off the highest revenue in the league. All the current system does is allow those who have higher revenues to keep investing, whilst stopping those who don't from growing. 

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The difference between the big teams and the smaller teams har only increased after financial fair play, and the prices has become inflated like crazy. It kind of seems like FFP was really just a way to make sure that the top sides stay on top..

I agree with the rule but rather than promoting financial fair play it's more about making sure clubs don't get into financial trouble that would jeopardize the future of the club by overspending. That's what it's meant to do and in punishing Everton it is punishing spending that threatened the future of the club for fans.

To actually make it fair play, salary caps and spending caps would be needed, but are never never going to happen as the big clubs have a lot of power and the league itself fears all the star players would immediately bugger off for higher wages elsewhere and the league would lose it's 'best in the world' status.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

This. 

If it was really fair, you'd have a spending cap that applies to all clubs based off the highest revenue in the league. All the current system does is allow those who have higher revenues to keep investing, whilst stopping those who don't from growing. 

Either a spending cap, or just let clubs spend how they see fit. I hate Everton but I feel a bit sorry for them here. Shafted for showing ambition but failing.

1 minute ago, nufcnick said:

The precedent has now been set by the PL, I can see a lot of teams now saying fuck it, let’s smash FFP this season and take the 10point Hit.  If we had done that this season for instance we would have a far better squad and still be in 16th place 

Trouble with that is, you'd no doubt get extra punishment for deliberately breaking the rules. And of course there would be new rules introduced the minute we tried it.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Either a spending cap, or just let clubs spend how they see fit. I hate Everton but I feel a bit sorry for them here. Shafted for showing ambition but failing.

I feel no sympathy, it was all entirely avoidable, yes they showed ambition but they were really incompetent and avoidable and such actions should have repercussions. They will also likely be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Trouble with that is, you'd no doubt get extra punishment for deliberately breaking the rules. And of course there would be new rules introduced the minute we tried it.

There'd also be UEFA punishment (which Everton don't have to worry about).

I look forward to the legal challenge from whichever club it was that would have stayed up last season, if the EPL hadn't given Everton a stay of execution, as they should have had a points deduction last year. I guess Everton's appeal or whatever must have delayed that.