League Cup Semi Final: Southampton (a)/(h) on Tuesday 24th/31st January at 8pm (Sky)

I'm on roughly 170 points, and would be more than happy with:

75% of tickets go to loyalty points

25% of tickets go to a ballot for ST holders/members

It would be better still if corporate entered the ballot rather than being guaranteed 4 away tickets per box. Don't think it would be that hard to push through either considering the waiting list for all forms of hospitality.

Edited by TheDimpleboy
Typo

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

They’d be on shaky grounds if they didn’t as being a ST holder is being a member. The cost is included on top of paying in advance for every game.

Or a family member or a friend 🙂

Yeah of course, now. But in future I don’t think that should be a perk. Not when tickets are in such short supply. 

There’s no perfect answer obviously, apart from having a massive stadium. 

17 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Aye I know a load like that too.

I wouldn’t be against names of the purchaser being printed on the ticket and having to show ID at the opposition’s ground to get in tbh. Although then again, that is harsh on the lads and lasses who go every week off someone else’s season ticket.

No idea what the solution is. But I do know that whatever they do, there’s going to be loads of people pissed off. 

Whilst I understand the logic of that, I’m not sure I fancy having to queue for an extra however long to get in, as it would take substantially longer if they were going to do it properly and not half-arsed like the majority of stuff is done relating to stewarding.

Just now, SteV said:

Whilst I understand the logic of that, I’m not sure I fancy having to queue for an extra however long to get in, as it would take substantially longer if they were going to do it properly and not half-arsed like the majority of stuff is done relating to stewarding.

Aye that is true, proper buzz kill. :lol: 

ID could be done with technology, like a QR code which dynamically changes every few minutes - I think some people like viagogo use it already. 

But it would need to be implemented for every ground and every fan would need an app, so can’t see it. 

Always thought that the only potential solution is to some way allow people to get their foot on the ladder via other means, ie x amount of points for every ST renewed, cup/European ticket bought, x amount for every away ticket bought still but 1 point per each bit of club merch from the shop or site bought, food/drink from the ground bought. Do the latter via swiping/scanning your membership or ST card when buying stuff in person (which would require the club to get on board with making ST/membership cards contactless or have a QR code that's scanned, mind).

It's a closed shop atm and its looking like people with <20 points will never be able to get to an away game ever again in the coming years, as even when a potential game does drop relatively low those with high amounts of points will just buy them and sell them on. No system will ever be perfect like.

Even home games could earn you a point, obviously not as many as an away game, but something. 

I guess all the away game people would be earning them too though, so you might be relatively in the same position. 

I’m not bothered about away games now I live in toon, but it’s a really difficult situation. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

ID could be done with technology, like a QR code which dynamically changes every few minutes - I think some people like viagogo use it already. 

But it would need to be implemented for every ground and every fan would need an app, so can’t see it. 

This kind of thing is definitely the eventual answer.

Like you say though, clearly difficult to implement. But England have something along these lines (I think?), so it’s edging closer.

I rule out getting rid of the loyalty point system altogether, completely unfair on those that have done the miles and paid the money. But younger fans will never get the opportunity to follow us away like older fans did in the 80s and 90s, where I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) they were just sold on a first come first serve basis? You hear stories of like Derby, Leicester, Grimsby away in 1992 and 1993, the European aways, kids/younger fans will never get the chance in future which is a right shame.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

11 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Always thought that the only potential solution is to some way allow people to get their foot on the ladder via other means, ie x amount of points for every ST renewed, cup/European ticket bought, x amount for every away ticket bought still but 1 point per each bit of club merch from the shop or site bought, food/drink from the ground bought. Do the latter via swiping/scanning your membership or ST card when buying stuff in person (which would require the club to get on board with making ST/membership cards contactless or have a QR code that's scanned, mind).

It's a closed shop atm and its looking like people with <20 points will never be able to get to an away game ever again in the coming years, as even when a potential game does drop relatively low those with high amounts of points will just buy them and sell them on. No system will ever be perfect like.

Could even give points for stuff like purchases from the club shop etc. 

I agree that scrapping points all together is wrong; however, it is important that people are able to get on the ladder. I do think when you don’t renew your season ticket your points should be kept on records too, but only become available once you become a season ticket holder again. I understood the risk so it’s completely my fault, but I lost loads. There’s loads of others too who’ve put the miles in and as soon as their tickets were give up, the points were erased.

2 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Still think they should expire after x amount of years

Problem with this is I think you just encourage more ‘buy to sell’ by people who want to stay at the top of tree.

At the minute, if you’ve got loads of points and you’re not going to a game, you don’t really need that point, so no massive incentive to sell on (unless someone you know specifically asks you for a ticket).

However, once it’s a rolling points total, let’s say three years, there’s only about a maximum of 70ish points available, so you’re going to want to stay as close to that maximum total as possible, hence buying to sell at every opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Could even give points for stuff like purchases from the club shop etc. 

I agree that scrapping points all together is wrong; however, it is important that people are able to get on the ladder. I do think when you don’t renew your season ticket your points should be kept on records too, but only become available once you become a season ticket holder again. I understood the risk so it’s completely my fault, but I lost loads. There’s loads of others too who’ve put the miles in and as soon as their tickets were give up, the points were erased.

Aye they just need to offer a way to get people's foot off the ground.

I only started going to away games or at least trying to get to away games from when I was 15 but I could never get to loads due to school and cost. I had a measly 8 points (:lol:) before I moved down to uni and chucked my ST due to the price hike, logistics, Ashley and Bruce. I've been able to get to Leicester last season and Fulham this season from tommo being exceptionally kind and sorting me out, but in order to get to away games that's the route I have to do it. 

11 minutes ago, SteV said:

Problem with this is I think you just encourage more ‘buy to sell’ by people who want to stay at the top of tree.

At the minute, if you’ve got loads of points and you’re not going to a game, you don’t really need that point, so no massive incentive to sell on (unless someone you know specifically asks you for a ticket).

However, once it’s a rolling points total, let’s say three years, there’s only about a maximum of 70ish points available, so you’re going to want to stay as close to that maximum total as possible, hence buying to sell at every opportunity.

Fair point. 

only other thing I can think of is having NUFC representatives outside the turnstiles at away games doing random spot checks.

check the ticket and the ticket holders ID, if the ID doesn’t match the ticket purchaser, remove their points. 

might be tricky but just the risk of being caught will stop a lot.

Just now, NWMag said:

Fair point. 

only other thing I can think of is having NUFC representatives outside the turnstiles at away games doing random spot checks.

check the ticket and the ticket holders ID, if the ID doesn’t match the ticket purchaser, remove their points. 

might be tricky but just the risk of being caught will stop a lot.

Brighton have started doing something similar. Randomly (or maybe not that randomly…) selecting a small number of tickets for each game that have to be picked up on the day with ID.

Not entirely sure what the consequences of not picking them up are? Maybe just get selected again for the next game? 

Probably a fair enough idea if collecting them isn’t too much of an onerous task.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Brighton have started doing something similar. Randomly (or maybe not that randomly…) selecting a small number of tickets for each game that have to be picked up on the day with ID.

Not entirely sure what the consequences of not picking them up are? Maybe just get selected again for the next game? 

Probably a fair enough idea if collecting them isn’t too much of an onerous task.

Mad that Brighton have done that when they don’t sell out many away games. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Mad that Brighton have done that when they don’t sell out many away games. :lol: 

Aye, they wouldn’t exactly be the first team that would spring to mind if you were thinking of clubs that have this issue.

Although I reckon it’s probably the London games where the demand is high for them. No kind of travel, so probably get plenty looking to go.

Don't agree with points for spending at club shop. Thats not loyalty, that's an opportunity for people with loadsaaaa money to jump the queue. I should be free not to buy a club scarf and not have my ability to purchase match ticket degraded in anyway imo. 

Points for home games wouldn't achieve anything as the people with away points already have season tickets and would be getting those points too. 

Can't see any system outside of a subset of tickets going to ballot (maybe 20-25%) being accepted by those with high points. And tbf, those that currently have the most points should absolutely have a strong say (but not be able to pull the ladder up completely). 

Also the thing with club shop merchandise points idea is, if you think there’s buying to sell with tickets for loyalty points sake, wait until people start buying 100 shirts to sell on…

7 hours ago, TheDimpleboy said:

I'm on roughly 170 points, and would be more than happy with:

75% of tickets go to loyalty points

25% of tickets go to a ballot for ST holders/members

It would be better still if corporate entered the ballot rather than being guaranteed 4 away tickets per box. Don't think it would be that hard to push through either considering the waiting list for all forms of hospitality

I definitely think something along those lines is the way to go for a start. I think the points make sense but there should be a way that doens't totally lock others out.

I'm surprised to hear that there's so many people buying and selling tickets on - I don't know anyone that does that. Then again I was at Leicester and Arsenal and wondering how some of the kids got tickets. I use my dad's mate's points when I'm back, but he only does it for me, not systematically - and actually I built up the points then transferred the ticket to him when I left - I'd obviously be gutted if ID checks or something ruined that.

See plenty teenagers at away games. So younguns must be getting hold of tickets somehow. Not the closed shop people make out

People sound bitter when they're worrying about someone with 150+ loyalty points passing on a ticket now and then.

It’s been like this for more than a couple of decades - Sunderland away etc difficult to get tickets, lesser lights pretty easy.  You’ll get tickets for smaller PL teams a lot of the time if you’re a ST holder and you apply.

I’m unconvinced by some of the moans that I see - those who put in the miles and the money should 100% be at the front of the queue.  People like me - who stopped going in the Ashley years and now have pissed off abroad - shouldn’t even have a mechanism to get a look in for cup final tickets.  Get a ticket, go to away games - league cup early rounds you won’t struggle - and build up your points.  Europe next year is likely - take the money you would have spent doing loads of aways and apply for European tickets.

Yes, some have artificially inflated loyalty points from sales.  But they’re the minority.  The merchandise from the club shop idea is horrible, frankly - the idea of buying club-branded tat trumping actually going to support the club is ludicrous.

I’m aware this sounds harsh for some, and I’m not writing it to cause upset - but honestly lads and lasses, it really should be a reward for those who actually go to the games. 

People with over 100 loyalty points will have went to most them games cos until the last 18 months I couldn't give my cunt away!!

Then you see posts like people should be requiring ID to pick an away ticket up. All because they fancy going because we are decent again

This argument boils my piss time after time on here

Edited by jack j

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s been like this for more than a couple of decades - Sunderland away etc difficult to get tickets, lesser lights pretty easy.  You’ll get tickets for smaller PL teams a lot of the time if you’re a ST holder and you apply.

I’m unconvinced by some of the moans that I see - those who put in the miles and the money should 100% be at the front of the queue.  People like me - who stopped going in the Ashley years and now have pissed off abroad - shouldn’t even have a mechanism to get a look in for cup final tickets.  Get a ticket, go to away games - league cup early rounds you won’t struggle - and build up your points.  Europe next year is likely - take the money you would have spent doing loads of aways and apply for European tickets.

Yes, some have artificially inflated loyalty points from sales.  But they’re the minority.  The merchandise from the club shop idea is horrible, frankly - the idea of buying club-branded tat trumping actually going to support the club is ludicrous.

I’m aware this sounds harsh for some, and I’m not writing it to cause upset - but honestly lads and lasses, it really should be a reward for those who actually go to the games. 

It hasn't been like this for a couple of decades though. There used to regularly be games where you could get tickets with o points or fewer than 10. Almost all the 'lessers' sell out at tens of points now - so young'ins can't get on the ladder, they're stuck in a cycle of not being able to build points regardless of how dedicated. If you're a young kid how can you even officially get a ticket? Even one of the very few 'easy' 15 point games. I started going to games with my dad at the height of the Keegan era when I was 6 years old and got a ticket, I couldn't do that now through official channels.

I don't think anyone's complaining about people passing on tickets 'now and again', it's about people doing it systemtically when they're *not* putting in the effort but getting rewarded with the points.

This is not bitterness - I've well over a 100 points, and I want youngins to be able build them up like how I did.