Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability: Forest unsuccessful in appeal against four-point deduction

Mattoon

18 hours ago, Dokko said:

I'm not doubting him as a person, but his view is massively tainted by his clubs position, mine also, however I'm OK to admit that. 

Of course it’s tainted by my club’s position, but by my club’s position over the last 20 years, not just now. As I explained at self-righteous length :lol:

If you think I’m arguing that we should keep F&S because we’re now really good and fuck everyone outside the cartel, then you’re very wrong. I just…really hated what happened to Chelsea and Man City. That’s really all. I didn’t want it to happen then and I don’t want it to happen now.

I don’t know how old you are. I’m 50 and have been going to football since we were in the second division (don’t remember much about that since I was 4). I’ve seen us be shit-good-great-good-mediocre-good. I’d love us to be good forever and win everything, sure. And it’s impossible for me to say definitively how I’d react in your position. But I’m old enough and ugly enough to make a decent guess.

Edited by leffe186

1 minute ago, Kilcline said:

I've long thought Abramovich coming in isn't spoken about enough or considered as a factor as it should be when reflecting on our mid-2000s downturn. I genuinely felt like we were pretty close to if not disrupting the Man U/Arsenal duopoly then certainly establishing ourselves as a pretty clear 3rd.

Then Abramovich came in, Partizan Belgrade happened, we finished 5th the first season it was top 4 qualify (I think), and we know the rest...

I agree, though we were the first team to finish 4th and qualify (2002) - we were also the first to finish 2nd and qualify 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Abramovich’s Chelsea hurt NUFC far more than Spurs.  We were the ones competing with Liverpool, Leeds and Chelsea for the other CL places etc.  No-one thought of Spurs as a top club in the early ‘00s. 

Absolutely. And yet I nearly walked away. That’s reinforcing my point.

17 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Levy knew it was better to be bottom of the top than be cast out like all the other teams and not having a say. 

All London clubs have an advantage, should we remove that somehow? All players must live in Jarrow...or must commute for 4 hours even if thry live 2 miles away (probably standard for London anyway) point is, all clubs will have something which gets them to the top. Fanbase, rich owners, history, established academy or location. Some of those you can never buy, some of those you need time and some now thanks to ffp, you'll never experience unless it's a 5000/1 once in a lifetime event.

All of those have been effectively bought by someone at one point or another, tbf. Even location (hello Arsenal) :lol:

Yeah I totally agree that parity is essentially impossible. (I’m also happy to blame Thatcher partly for this btw). The NFL system could not be implemented here.

On Levy - sure he thought it would be better to be part of that cartel. I’m sure every owner does. Even Ashley, although he couldn’t be fucked and/or wasn’t competent enough to actually try. Levy was lucky enough and brilliant enough to do it within the “rules”. They were self-imposed at first and then I’m sure he worked very hard to make sure those rules were imposed on everyone else. That would definitely have been self-preservation.

1 hour ago, nufcnick said:

So such thing was said at all, CAS dismissed the case because UEFAs own rules state that any punishments for FFP breaches must be done within a certain period of time, which UEFA didn’t follow, at no point did CAS say you had no case to answer 

At the end of the day City won the appeal through CAS it’s as simple as that. On another note didn’t NUFC vote for FFP or am I getting that wrong ?

Football clubs are now a business first, like it or not. As such, they should be allowed to run as a business and owners should not be restricted to invest into THEIR own business as they see fit to do so. The current rules are both a restraint of trade and anti-competitive. The noise is getting bigger and I honestly believe it's only a matter of time before it's blown open by a legal challenge. 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Football clubs are now a business first, like it or not. As such, they should be allowed to run as a business and owners should not be restricted to invest into THEIR own business as they see fit to do so. The current rules are both a restraint of trade and anti-competitive. The noise is getting bigger and I honestly believe it's only a matter of time before it's blown open by a legal challenge. 

Yep, it’s a point that is easy to forget.  I don’t like that clubs are now businesses - for most of football history profits weren’t allowed to be paid to shareholders etc, weren’t allowed to be on the stock market ( @leffe186 - all Irving Scholar’s fault - Spurs brought all this trouble down on football ;)). But if they are to be treated and are businesses to be run for profit, that does make restriction of trade more of a sticky situation. 

8 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

At the end of the day City won the appeal through CAS it’s as simple as that. On another note didn’t NUFC vote for FFP or am I getting that wrong ?

Suited Ashley down to the ground tbf 

57 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I would never scrap FFP, I also think that would be a bit wild at this point. But it could definetly be changed for the better. That doesn't happen if we pretend like the system is perfect right now. We are far from the only ones who are upset about the state of FFP. Just because we have very rich owners doesn't mean that we shouldn't be upset about it. Also - I'm pretty sure you lot are allowed to spend way more than any other team outside of Sky 6, and it has been like that for a while? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that your sponsor deals are still miles ahead of ours, and I think we are 7th in terms of sponsorship income.

It’s massively not perfect, and definitely needs debate and reform.

We are allowed to spend more partly because our income has increased. The main reason we can finally start spending serious money is the new stadium. One other reason is that we gradually got better and more consistent and had regular CL for a long time. One underlying reason is that we were famously careful as fuck not to overspend by keeping the wage bill down for years and years relative to the top sides and our revenue. Regular sales helped too.

3 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

if it is 10 points and only allowed to be fined once... Let's go spend 300 million and take the hit.

But you are right they make it up after the event and we would be relegated no matter what.

Were Everton not fined 6pts then 1pt for every £6m they were over the £105m limit, so anyone wanting to take the hit and overspend by more than £200m would get hit harder?

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

No, I nearly walked away because it felt really wrong to me: that the game had crossed a line with Abramovich and his spending. We had been at a disadvantage relative to the top three or four for years. Did you see us in the 90s? :lol:

If you were cool with Abramovich then fair enough. I hated it.

Yeah, F&S has definitely evolved to be a way of preserving the status quo - the cartel. That’s a problem. We’ve made ourselves part of that problem. I agree with you that we were never in a position to really compete. Why do you think that is?

Gullit, Vialli, Desailly, Zola? Those 90’s?

my heart fucking bleeds. 

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

my heart fucking bleeds. 

More like Gazza, Klinnsman, Barmby, Sheringham etc. Kevin Scott though :)

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

my heart fucking bleeds. 

Erm they didn’t play for Spurs

19 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

Did they win the appeal? I thought they just held things up in the courts for long enough that the majority of the provable stuff fell outside of the allowable time for charges to be brought

36 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

It’s massively not perfect, and definitely needs debate and reform.

We are allowed to spend more partly because our income has increased. The main reason we can finally start spending serious money is the new stadium. One other reason is that we gradually got better and more consistent and had regular CL for a long time. One underlying reason is that we were famously careful as fuck not to overspend by keeping the wage bill down for years and years relative to the top sides and our revenue. Regular sales helped too.

Our revenue in 2022 was lower than clubs like Everton, Leicester, Leeds, Villa and West Ham. I think it's fair to say that the ceiling we're hitting is very different from any ceiling that you've had to deal with during these years, relative to the other top clubs. You've been top 6 in revenue since the start of FFP, consistenly with a great distance to nr 7.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Press play on this, fast forward to 2:06:00 and enjoy. @r0cafella

Thanks, this can be my commute entertainment :lol:

ahh nvm seems that prick musk has blocked spaces for not registered users. 

Edited by r0cafella