Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Judging by my tweet I’m massively in the minority on where it should go (Leazes Level 4 as a first choice). However, I’ll certainly be making it clear that Gallowgate Upper is also in a minority…I believe the club are trying to push this as their desired choice. Imo, that would be the worst of all worlds tbh.

19 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Yep gallowgate upper only would be really poor tbh

Just don't see the point. Invisible and inaudible to huge parts of the rest of the ground. Just do the full stand. Token gestures are pointless.

Edited by Wallsendmag

@TheGuv leazes for me less ST holders means less agro and more buy in for club. Even if its somewhere that isnt priority still a start. I think more fans who stand there than anything. 3k of lads wanting to be heard will improve st james

Think most obvious point is we ballot for who wants to stand there, no point just adding seats to areas where people cba.

Also which ever area has biggest capacity to hold safe standing.

I think safe standing behind one of the goals would have the most dramatic impact, as long as it's filled with vocal supporters, otherwise it's will have no impact at all. Would be nice to see some of the locked out former season ticket holders allowed back in as well.

4 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Judging by my tweet I’m massively in the minority on where it should go (Leazes Level 4 as a first choice). However, I’ll certainly be making it clear that Gallowgate Upper is also in a minority…I believe the club are trying to push this as their desired choice. Imo, that would be the worst of all worlds tbh.

I think Leazes L4 and below right down to the pitch is a great shout. As you could get a decent number in there, at a guess? 

As others have said. If you are going to do small corners with a tiny capacity. Or sections miles away from the away fans, where nobody can hear you and a restricted view. Then it seems a bit pointless. 

Will do a proper post tomorrow, or will answer any questions people have. 

Some key takeaways:

75% said they would like to see safe standing at SJP via online survey 

70% preferred not to move seats

78% respondents were over 35 years of age

Over 70% of survey wanted Gallowgate/Strawberry Corner 

Overwhelming majority in favour of safe standing introduction across those in attendance tonight. 

Club looking to implement safe standing between 1500 and 3000 :pilko:

I'll leave it for Chris to update in a more full way, but I'd say I was surprised by the backing for safe standing with approximately 95% backing of the room, but my suspicion is only 20/25% would actually move to help accommodate it.

The demographic was probably largely reflective of the Season Ticket holding demographic, dare I say it, a lot of middle aged (and older) folk. Was quite surprised by their support of it in all honesty so it was refreshing but I think to a lot of this folk it's an option or ideology not a reality.

Aside from that, was great catching up with @TheGuvfor a few pints and a good chinwag :thup:

Cheers for the work and for updating us, chaps.

1500 would be a pretty big disappointment unless it was like a test and a precursor to a much bigger allocation. Even the aways have 3000.

2 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Can we not just have a designated singing area where standing up is allowed and encouraged.

What difference is actually standing in the same place without the seat going to make?

‘Persistent standing’ in a regular seated area is considered a safety hazard I believe, hence why you can be warned for it and we’ve previously been collectively punished as a fan base. They’ve given up now but we’ve had away ticket allocations reduced for it, as well as things like no alcohol allowed for us in the ground. 

(In safe standing areas you still have a seat, but you have a rail bar as well)

Edited by Superior Acuña

1500-3000 seats is surely not the level of ambition here. Might as well just put railings up in the strawberry corner on ‘safety grounds’ that people stand anyway. 

If they want to do something bigger Leazes corner might be the best shout with presumably less season ticket holders and season ticket holders who don’t really care where they sit.

People want to be in the Gallowgate to be in the best atmosphere. If the Leazes corner was a standing area and designated signing area I’m sure people would leave the Gallowgate to get involved. I left a prime seat in Gallowgate middle tier behind the goal to move to Strawberry corner for this reason. 

9 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Will do a proper post tomorrow, or will answer any questions people have. 

Some key takeaways:

75% said they would like to see safe standing at SJP via online survey 

70% preferred not to move seats

78% respondents were over 35 years of age

Over 70% of survey wanted Gallowgate/Strawberry Corner 

Overwhelming majority in favour of safe standing introduction across those in attendance tonight. 

Club looking to implement safe standing between 1500 and 3000 :pilko:

The trouble for me is not moving seats... no point having any lads or lasses in safe standing who dont want to back time for 90 mins. Surely need to move around to get people together. 

Why not got 3k in strawberry corner and 3k in leazes corner

33 minutes ago, Heron said:

I'd honestly have the whole Gallowgate safe standing me.

This. 1.5-3k probably not worth doing as it's not enough to make a marked difference. As I said further up I was at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night. They have a capacity of 40,000 and around 12k of that is safe standing. Wolves and Spurs also have full ends behind the goals as safe standing.

If they're not going to do it properly they might as well just leave it as it is, rather than going through all the upheaval of moving season ticket holders for the sake of a couple of thousand standing places.

One positive that might come from it is when the ground is expanded they may think they have trialled it already.

The club should just force seat moves, are fans going to pack in given the demand? Of course not.

Been great if we got 8 like minded fans, 4k in oppisite corners bouncing off each other

So people agree that a singing/standing section is needed but aren't interested in helping facilitate it by moving their seat. Proper NIMBY attitude that.

The club need to take it out of their hands and force it on them or it's clearly never going to happen.

4 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

Happens all the time man - when they extended the family enclosure to encompass all of level 7 you were given the option to stay or move. Same thing here. They just need to pick somewhere and do it. 

Think this is the way to go about it. Pick a section (ideally the Gallowgate which been the traditional home end for best part of 50 years now) and say this is going to be the safe standing area. Anyone already there is welcome to stay there but you'll have to be happy to stand for 90 minutes. If they want to leave for another area the club should help them do this or maybe even offer a little sweetener by letting them move to the East Stand or another more expensive area and freeze their ticket price for 3 seasons or something along those lines.

No point in putting 2k or whatever in a little corner because that's a drop in the ocean in a 52k stadium. It doesn't need trialled, other clubs have already done that for us so they need to go all in and do it properly.