Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

1 hour ago, NUFC91 said:

Been great if we got 8 like minded fans, 4k in oppisite corners bouncing off each other

I manipulated (or should I say gently persuaded) my table to say this :lol:. They were bang into that opinion by the end mind you.

Hmm where to begin. 

Thomas from the FSA did a brief presentation and then Sarah Medcalf from the club presented. She showed the above figures I posted previously along with a few other slides. There were around 10 tables, and each table had a representative from the club. We were given two questions:

Do you think safe standing would be a positive change at SJP? Why?

What do the club need to consider in relation to fans if safe standing was introduced?

As @Heronhas said the vast majority were overwhelmingly in support. My table was unanimously in support of it for example. Most tables seemed to indicate it would be positive for atmosphere, not ruining the experience for those sitting down etc etc. I’m pretty sure the club want to do it anyway so this all just backed up the majority backing in the survey.

The second question is where some of my concern comes in. The main reason being ‘where?’ I heard a lot of chat about the Strawberry Corner, particularly on my table. But as I mentioned, the vast majority of atmosphere comes from there already, so you’d effectively just be replacing one with the other (current de facto singing corner with a standing section). I know of one woman on another table who specifically wanted it known that not everyone in the Strawberry Corner currently stands - which is correct. I’d suggest it’s currently less than half.

The vast majority in attendance would not want to move seats to accommodate standing but if they did have to move some form of compensation was mentioned on every table (reduced ST price, loyalty points!, an extra seat!, free cup games etc). 

There were some canny people on my table, but the room was overwhelmingly middle aged and (much) older. I was rather happy when I saw @Heronand a few other lads my age spread around other tables, as  all of the table notes will be reviewed by Eales and Co. However, the amount of people who had no idea about safe standing was staggering. Their general knowledge of SJP and the club was poor and it didn’t fill me with confidence of what the club will inevitably implement. 

I think the club already know what they want to do, and unfortunately it isn’t going to be what some of us on here want. E.g. a large safe standing area of 5,000+ or even two separate safe standing areas at opposite ends of the ground. My heart sank when they mentioned 1500-3000. They then mentioned that timings are tight and if they don’t implement for next season it’ll be the season after. A bit of a disaster if that’s the case imo. 

If they just plonk it in the Strawberry Corner, I think it’s a massively missed opportunity. I can’t see many from that corner moving to accommodate the singers/standers and will just want to be ‘part of it’ and keep their view. This will in turn not improve the atmosphere (the biggest positive mentioned by all of the tables) at all, as we already have it…

Those who really want it would move to where it goes. Again Leazes Level 4 would really put the cat amongst the pigeons. If they build it, they will come springs to mind…

I get the feeling the majority in attendance would never want to move their seat, so I can’t imagine that many wanting to move to the Leazes to sing and stand (just my opinion).

I even said I’d pay more money to stand - much to the confusion of the rest of my table!

However, one comment from a lady on my table was spot on - the club need to know how many want to stand - before implementing it. If 6,000 want to stand - there’s your answer (for the timing being). Otherwise, using that example you’re going to have 3000-4500 pissed off that they can’t stand. Will you then have to re-perform this rigmarole the season after and continue moving people around???

I also drilled home (as did another table fortunately) that there would need to be access to safe standing for general sale/membership. Fingers crossed that is listened to as well. 

Edited by TheGuv

4 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I manipulated (or should I say gently persuaded) my table to say this :lol:. They were bang into that opinion by the end mind you.

Hmm where to begin. 

Thomas from the FSA did a brief presentation and then Sarah Medcalf from the club presented. She showed the above figures I posted previously along with a few other slides. There were around 10 tables, and each table had a representative from the club. We were given two questions:

What do the club need to consider in relation to fans if safe standing was introduced?

As @Heronhas said the vast majority were overwhelmingly in support. My table was unanimously in support of it for example. Most tables seemed to indicate it would be positive for atmosphere, not ruining the experience for those sitting down etc etc. I’m pretty sure the club want to do it anyway so this all just backed up the majority backing in the survey.

The second question is where some of my concern comes in. The main reason being ‘where?’ I heard a lot of chat about the Strawberry Corner, particularly on my table. But as I mentioned, the vast majority of atmosphere comes from there already, so you’d effectively just be replacing one with the other (current de facto singing corner with a standing section). I know of one woman on another table who specifically wanted it known that not everyone in the Strawberry Corner don’t stands - which is correct. I’d suggest it’s currently less than half.

The vast majority in attendance would not want to move seats to accommodate standing but if they did have to move some form of compensation was mentioned on every table (reduced ST price, loyalty points!, an extra seat!, free cup games etc). 

There were some canny people on my table, but the room was overwhelmingly middle aged and (much) older. I was rather happy when I saw @Heronand a few other lads my age spread around other tables, as  all of the table notes will be reviewed by Eales and Co. However, the amount of people who had no idea about safe standing was staggering. Their general knowledge of SJP and the club was poor and it didn’t fill me with confidence of what the club will inevitably implement. 

I think the club already know what they want to do, and unfortunately it isn’t going to be what some of us on here want. E.g. a large safe standing area of 5,000+ or even two separate safe standing areas at opposite ends of the ground. My heart sank when they mentioned 1500-3000. They then mentioned that timings are tight and if they don’t implement for next season it’ll be the season after. A bit of a disaster if that’s the case imo. 

If they just plonk it in the Strawberry Corner, I think it’s a massively missed opportunity. I can’t see many from that corner moving to accommodate the singers/standers and will just want to be ‘part of it’ and keep their view. This will I turn not improve the atmosphere (the biggest positive amongst the tables) at all, as we already have it. 

Those who really want it would move to where it goes. Again Leazes Level 4 would put the cat amongst the pigeons. I even said I’d pay more money to stand - much to the confusion of the rest of my table. However, one comment from a lady on my table was spot on - the club need to know how many want to stand - before implementing it. If 6,000 want to stand - there’s your answer for the timing being. Otherwise you’re going to have 2-4x the amount pissed odd that they can’t. 

I also drilled home (as did another table fortunately) that there would need to be access to safe standing for general sale/membership.

Thanks for the summary.

It doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. 1500 odd standing places will just look naff. 

I wonder how my many existing season ticket holders really want it. 70% saying they’d rather not move seat strikes me as being quite high. Sort of, “a great idea, but not where I’m sat”. In which case it’s pointless making it any bigger than 3K.

Well summarised, most important point is the club need to get idea of who wants to stand. If its 8k build 8k.

I honestly can't abide some of our fans. They spout on about love for club blah blah blah...yet can't move seats to accomadate like minded fans to get behind the team.

How can Chelsea, Liverpool, Wolves, Spurs, Arsenal, Leeds all move fans to help improve atmosphere yet the boring fuckers at St James moan amd groan....fucking pathetic.

39 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

However, the amount of people who had no idea about safe standing was staggering. Their general knowledge of SJP and the club was poor and it didn’t fill me with confidence of what the club will inevitably implement. 

any time I'm exposed to a large number of our fans and their opinions/behaviour I always feel like I'm on an entirely different planet. easy to forget that this place is a total echo-chamber.

3 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Sounds unsurprisingly like the old, know-it-all "I've been here since 197x" brigade who sit silently and hate any kind of change will put the dampeners on this to me.

aye same, although it's encouraging that most people would back it, as long as it doesn't affect them of course :lol:

I think it goes without saying they're going to convert the Strawberry corner. but the point about them needing to poll all fans is absolutely spot on, they need to understand the demand. the corner alone isn't enough, that only solves the clubs health and safety headache. I hope this is about more than that, but like you Guv I'm not confident.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Was it implied that 1500-3000 was a starting point to see how it goes or an end target?

It felt like it was a starting point…

But imagine the upheaval of increasing it every year? Especially if you start it in the Stawberry Corner. Where do you expand to? Unless they did get rid of the middle Gallowgate - but I just can’t see that ever happening. 

@Big Riveryou are right like. We’re an echo chamber on here, but my god plenty of posters know their stuff about the club. I do get surprised how little people know about the club. Especially for those who’ve been going since 19XX. 

I had to give a bit of a history lesson to some of them why the Strawberry Corner became the de facto singing section. It was because we all got booted out of the L7 singing section and that’s where people moved to! I also made the point, and I know @Herondid on his table, that none of us were compensated and we actually had to pay more money to move out of there. I believe another table made a point about the Milburn Paddock/Platinum Club. So people wanting loyalty points for being moved does seem mental. 

It’s not some whimsical fantasy that the Starwberry Corner was always magnificent (pre Gallowgate roof it was of course but I’m talking modern history), but it’s clearly going to be easiest for the club to put safe standing there. Bear in mind however, a large proportion do not stand in there - but I bet they won’t move seats…Imagine after all of this, you see people sitting in the safe standing section and the Strawberry Corner is exactly the same as it is now except with rail seating?

Thought all along our fan base on the whole hasnt got the appetite for it. So depressing really. Need the younger generation in and get rid of half these old cunts

Ps good work the guv and co

Edited by jack j

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Hmm where to begin. 

The second question is where some of my concern comes in. The main reason being ‘where?’ I heard a lot of chat about the Strawberry Corner, particularly on my table. But as I mentioned, the vast majority of atmosphere comes from there already, so you’d effectively just be replacing one with the other (current de facto singing corner with a standing section). I know of one woman on another table who specifically wanted it known that not everyone in the Strawberry Corner currently stands - which is correct. I’d suggest it’s currently less than half.

If they just plonk it in the Strawberry Corner, I think it’s a massively missed opportunity. I can’t see many from that corner moving to accommodate the singers/standers and will just want to be ‘part of it’ and keep their view. This will in turn not improve the atmosphere (the biggest positive mentioned by all of the tables) at all, as we already have it…

Those who really want it would move to where it goes. Again Leazes Level 4 would really put the cat amongst the pigeons. If they build it, they will come springs to mind…

I get the feeling the majority in attendance would never want to move their seat, so I can’t imagine that many wanting to move to the Leazes to sing and stand (just my opinion).

I even said I’d pay more money to stand - much to the confusion of the rest of my table!

However, one comment from a lady on my table was spot on - the club need to know how many want to stand - before implementing it. If 6,000 want to stand - there’s your answer (for the timing being). Otherwise, using that example you’re going to have 3000-4500 pissed off that they can’t stand. Will you then have to re-perform this rigmarole the season after and continue moving people around???

I also drilled home (as did another table fortunately) that there would need to be access to safe standing for general sale/membership. Fingers crossed that is listened to as well. 

Cheers for the info Guv. Agree with everything you've said there tbh. Hopefully the club sort it and it's done the right way.

46 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

It felt like it was a starting point…

But imagine the upheaval of increasing it every year? Especially if you start it in the Stawberry Corner. Where do you expand to? Unless they did get rid of the middle Gallowgate - but I just can’t see that ever happening. 

I agree, but maybe fair to say it's better to have a starting point than none at all? From Strawberry corner you could expand into the Gallowgate block by block. They might be thinking that slow but steady will ruffle fewer feathers than a big upheaval.

People being in favour of it but being unwilling to personally move is about as stereotypical as it gets with our home fans like :lol:

No surprise to hear these comments from "supporters". It's been clear for a while now though that NUFC's "support" is a myth and Souness was on to something when he said our crowds consisted more of customers than supporters.

The fact that Ashley rode roughshod & largely unchallenged for 14 years and only left when it was convenient for him tells you all you need to know. A massive proportion of our fanbase are lazy, selfish, entitled pricks. I won't be surprised to hear the team get booed pretty soon if our current poor run continues, such is the entitlement amongst some of our lot.

I've said it before too, but the media blowing smoke up our backsides for waving flags about for 5 minutes before a game isn't helping the overall cause. The club clearly aren't really in tune with the problem at the moment.

There really needs to be a freeze on new season ticket sales until this is all resolved one way or another. The masses of currently available pay-on-the-day seats means that there is still a chance to make a difference.

Edited by Wandy

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

No surprise to here these comments from "supporters". It's been clear for a while now though that NUFC's "support" is a myth and Souness was on to something when he said our crowds consisted more of customers than supporters.

The fact that Ashley rode roughshod & largely unchallenged for 14 years and only left when it was convenient for him tells you all you need to know. A massive proportion of our fanbase are lazy, selfish, entitled pricks. I won't be surprised to hear the team get booed pretty soon if our current poor run continues, such is the entitlement amongst some of our lot.

I've said it before too, but the media blowing smoke up our backsides for waving flags about for 5 minutes before a game isn't helping the overall cause. The club clearly aren't really in tune with the problem at the moment.

There really needs to be a freeze on new season ticket sales until this is all resolved one way or another. The masses of currently available pay-on-the-day seats means that there is still a chance to make a difference.

I can see that as soon as Sunday. 

21 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I won't be surprised to hear the team get booed pretty soon if our current poor run continues, such is the entitlement amongst some of our lot.

Its already simmering now and that's with us sitting 5th in the league and getting to a cup final, I can genuinely see sections of the crowd getting on the players back against Wolves if things aren't going our way. The feel good factor of the second half of last season and first half of this season seems a long time ago.

Edited by Geogaddi

Probably a daft question...

What happens with safe standing if your back row at the top of a stairwell? (My current seat in the corner) Obviously can't stick a rail in front of it because your blocking the way down the stairs unless you've gotta limbo it

I've had a bit of resentment at fans after the giving up tickets made you essentially a leper [emoji38]

The compensation thing fucks me off as well. The trade off for you moving is a better atmosphere, which is surely what everyone wants.

Why should I be shocked at people being entirely self centered.

I feel like the club just needs to take this all on board, then be ruthless as fuck [emoji38]

13 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Its already simmering now and that's with us sitting 5th in the league and getting to a cup final, I can genuinely see sections of the crowd getting on the players back against Wolves if things aren't going our way. The feel good factor of the second half of last season and first half of this season seems a long time ago.

I'm hoping that it's just the social media bell-ends who are being like this but if this mood translates to the atmosphere at actual match days then they can all get to fuck. "We don't demand a team that wins......"