Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Long story but I'm at Stamford Bridge tomorrow for Chelsea v Dortmund. They have safe standing behind both goals (probably 10k+ safe standing places).

I'll report back ;)

Report: Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea. Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelseeeaaaa, Chelsea. 

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Report: Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea. Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelseeeaaaa, Chelsea. 

Aye they have an even more limited songbook than we do! Expecting most of the noise to come from the German contingent.

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

I didn’t get in on the ballot

Should of just stuck in on nufc.co.uk and got people to add supporters number...

Can anyone outline what it says?

Just said this:

View this email online

Newcastle United supporters were recently invited to share their views on the prospect of safe standing at St James’ Park via an online survey.

This survey has provided us with important data to help us understand how much of a priority the implementation of safe standing is for Newcastle United fans. 

We would now like to invite you to participate in a Fan Working Group to discuss licensed standing in designated seated areas for home fans as we look to provide facilities most reflective of our fans’ needs.

The format will be smaller discussion groups and is an opportunity for you to put forward your ideas and give feedback on this area. 

Thank you.

When: Wednesday 8th March 2023. Arrival is 5.30pm, discussion groups start 6pm for 60 minutes followed by feedback. Finish time is 8pm

Refreshments: Tea and Coffee is provided

No of Attendees: Limited spaces available 

We will allocate places via a ballot and you will be notified by Tuesday 7th March at 12pm by email.

Please regsiter your attendance via the link below.

REGISTER HERE

SHARE THIS EMAIL

Unsubscribe from these emails

15 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

There’s been a drop out so I can now attend.

Can people come back with any views/thoughts on where and why they think the safe standing should be?!

Fundamentally it needs to a decent chunk (e.g. 5k) to try and make the most difference. 

The strawberry corner alone is too small, but could work joined onto half the gallowgate.

The gallowgate upper can't be heard from the rest of the stadium (unless we are including the middle blocks too).

Whole gallowgate is the dream, but would take left or right half. 

If in the leazes, the whole West Corner as well some of the adjacent leazes end would be canny 

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

There’s been a drop out so I can now attend.

Can people come back with any views/thoughts on where and why they think the safe standing should be?!

All of Strawberry Corner then stretch round into Gallowgate lower tiers, ideally all way to Milburn corner. Large swathes of people already stand in these areas so there's a precedent and the change would get less resistance from "sitters" I'd imagine.

Leazes should get a big section too although it's a while since I've been in there so not sure of best areas to convert. Some of the best atmosphere I've experienced since we went to 52,000 was the L7 singing section. Setting up similar in a lower tier would be ideal so the noise carries both up and down.

Edited by bobbydazzla

35 minutes ago, LFEE said:

It's good to know that this stuff is now being more widely talked about amongst the fanbase. And the DJ problem is one of the easy ones to address.

I'd be pushing for the entire Gallowgate. I was at Stamford Bridge last night and got to say the atmosphere there was brilliant. Really took me by surprise and a large % of the crowd being stood up definitely helped. You had the lower section of the Matthew Harding stand (around 6k) stood the entire match (that is a safe standing area) and the entire Shed End which is also a safe standing area and holds around 6.5k was also stood the entire match although around 2.5k of those in that area were Dortmund fans. So that's well over 12k safe standing places they've made available, which is roughly the same as the capacity of the Gallowgate End. We were in the West Stand and many in there were also stood for a lot of the match despite it being a seated area.

One thing I noticed was that they seem to have a younger fanbase than we do. Ours seems to be either old men or young families but not much in between and many at Chelsea were in the 20-40 age group which clearly helped with the atmosphere as it had a really vibrant feel about it and also explains why a large proportion of tbe crowd stood. Standing definitely helps when it comes to atmosphere.

After last night I'm more convinced than ever that standing massively improves atmosphere. We need to go all out to make sure we get as many safe standing places as possible at SJP.

Hope it all goes well for you tonight and that it's very productive@TheGuv

23 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'd be pushing for the entire Gallowgate. I was at Stamford Bridge last night and got to say the atmosphere there was brilliant. Really took me by surprise and a large % of the crowd being stood up definitely helped. You had the lower section of the Matthew Harding stand (around 6k) stood the entire match (that is a safe standing area) and the entire Shed End which is also a safe standing area and holds around 6.5k was also stood the entire match although around 2.5k of those in that area were Dortmund fans. So that's well over 12k safe standing places they've made available, which is roughly the same as the capacity of the Gallowgate End. We were in the West Stand and many in there were also stood for a lot of the match despite it being a seated area.

One thing I noticed was that they seem to have a younger fanbase than we do. Ours seems to be either old men or young families but not much in between and many at Chelsea were in the 20-40 age group which clearly helped with the atmosphere as it had a really vibrant feel about it and also explains why a large proportion of tbe crowd stood. Standing definitely helps when it comes to atmosphere.

After last night I'm more convinced than ever that standing massively improves atmosphere. We need to go all out to make sure we get as many safe standing places as possible at SJP.

Hope it all goes well for you tonight and that it's very productive@TheGuv

Sounds like it was really good. And yes, it's got to be the whole Gallowgate. It can't be the Leazes either, since having a home "singing end" that is actually directly below the away fans is just asking for trouble.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it's important that the club do NOT offer more season tickets for availability in the summer. Not until this issue is addressed about moving people around and creating safe standing/singing sections. With about 15,000 spare pay-on-the-day spaces currently available, this may be the last opportunity to address a problem that actually goes back even further than the Ashley years, as the rot really started when Freddie Fletcher decided that long-term season ticket holders could freely be booted out of their seats to create that dreadful Bond Scheme. The real shame abut that awful move was that it affected one of the best singing sections in the ground, as all of the loud singing people in the Leazes wing of the Milburn stand got shifted. Absolutely appalling that was.

20 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Sounds like it was really good. And yes, it's got to be the whole Gallowgate. It can't be the Leazes either, since having a home "singing end" that is actually directly below the away fans is just asking for trouble.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it's important that the club do NOT offer more season tickets for availability in the summer. Not until this issue is addressed about moving people around and creating safe standing/singing sections. With about 15,000 spare pay-on-the-day spaces currently available, this may be the last opportunity to address a problem that actually goes back even further than the Ashley years, as the rot really started when Freddie Fletcher decided that long-term season ticket holders could freely be booted out of their seats to create that dreadful Bond Scheme. The real shame abut that awful move was that it affected one of the best singing sections in the ground, as all of the loud singing people in the Leazes wing of the Milburn stand got shifted. Absolutely appalling that was.

Moving some of our most loyal (and definitely loudest) fans out of the Milburn Stand Leazes Wing to make way for the Platinum Club still is to this day an absolute disgrace. Fletcher/Shepherd/Hall couldn't give a shite about the atmosphere, it was always about the coin up front which is why we had over 33k season ticket holders in a 36.5k stadium which locked 1000s out of ever seeing NUFC at home and ruined the atmosphere and it's never recovered.

6 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Moving some of our most loyal (and definitely loudest) fans out of the Milburn Stand Leazes Wing to make way for the Platinum Club still is to this day an absolute disgrace. Fletcher/Shepherd/Hall couldn't give a shite about the atmosphere, it was always about the coin up front which is why we had over 33k season ticket holders in a 36.5k stadium which locked 1000s out of ever seeing NUFC at home and ruined the atmosphere and it's never recovered.

:clap:

Couldn't agree more with this!!

26 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Yep, which goes back to my earlier point that we need to freeze the distribution of any more season tickets for the foreseeable.