Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Jurgen not happy with the famous Anfield atmosphere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67782829

It's always been a myth. It was dead v Man Utd as well. First time I went there was in 1993 for Ronnie Whelans Testimonial. The place was completely silent but I remember thinking I suppose it's just a friendly it must be totally different for a league game. 

Went back there in 1994 for a league game. Kop was still a terrace at the time. It was the Hillsborough 5 year anniversary and emotions were running high. Remember going down on the old Armstrong Galley bus and being so excited for it. Guess what, it was completely dead again, save for the 3,000 away fans there. Kop sang at the very start and then stood in silence for the rest of the afternoon, apart from a very half arse rendition of YNWA right at the end.

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

It's always been a myth. It was dead v Man Utd as well. First time I went there was in 1993 for Ronnie Whelans Testimonial. The place was completely silent but I remember thinking I suppose it's just a friendly it must be totally different for a league game. 

Went back there in 1994 for a league game. Kop was still a terrace at the time. It was the Hillsborough 5 year anniversary and emotions were running high. Remember going down on the old Armstrong Galley bus and being so excited for it. Guess what, it was completely dead again, save for the 3,000 away fans there. Kop sang at the very start and then stood in silence for the rest of the afternoon, apart from a very half arse rendition of YNWA right at the end.

Agreed - I was there for those matches with my dad.  My brain may have added the blanks later, but I’m convinced I heard the crack when Ruddock assaulted Beardsley.

The only time I experienced good atmospheres at Anfield were evening games during the week - it was always shite for weekend matches.  The 4-3 in 1997 was good (I wasn’t at the first 4-3), the 2-2 in 2002 was electric, even the LC match in 1996.  

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed - I was there for those matches with my dad.  My brain may have added the blanks later, but I’m convinced I heard the crack when Ruddock assaulted Beardsley.

The only time I experienced good atmospheres at Anfield were evening games during the week - it was always shite for weekend matches.  The 4-3 in 1997 was good (I wasn’t at the first 4-3), the 2-2 in 2002 was electric, even the LC match in 1996.  

I was also at the 2nd 4-3 game and yes that was pretty good, as you'd expect from a 4-3 game. I was at the LC game when Steve Watson scored and we totally outsung them when we had the full end behind the goal. Same when we played them in the FA Cup a few years later. Probably done another 8 or 9 games at Anfield other than those I've mentioned and always came away totally underwhelmed with the place.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Yep, in all of my 39 years following football their atmosphere has always been the most overrated. They were bored of success by the mid-80s, never mind what they are like these days. Having said that, in the last year or so when watching them on TV, I've thought that their singing has improved a bit.

Their thread on match atmosphere is very similar to ours, but their daytripper problem seems to be a whole lot worse.... https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315738.13960 ...and it's a cautionary tale of what NUFC need to be warned to avoid, when we do make a decision on the future of our stadium.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

I was at the 1994 game - very emotional at the end but you're right generally underwhelming. If I am not mistaken this was also the last game the Kop was a terrace - it became all seating following season. I was 13 - but had grown up with Liverpool winning everything and thought they were entitled then....

16 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Yep, in all of my 39 years following football their atmosphere has always been the most overrated. They were bored of success by the mid-80s, never mind what they are like these days. Having said that, in the last year or so when watching them on TV, I've thought that their singing has improved a bit.

Their thread on match atmosphere is very similar to ours, but their daytripper problem seems to be a whole lot worse.... https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315738.13960 ...and it's a cautionary tale of what NUFC need to be warned to avoid, when we do make a decision on the future of our stadium.

Liverpool stayed at Anfield and have suffered the day trippers as long as I can remember.  Staying at or leaving SJP won’t make a difference on that front.  

That's Klopp, Guardiola, Gary Neville all been very vocal criticising atmospheres in the last few weeks

Shame they don't care enough to talk about the root of the problem

Easy for them to spout off shite like they do. But they aren't going to do anything about it are they.

1 minute ago, jack j said:

That's Klopp, Guardiola, Gary Neville all been very vocal criticising atmospheres in the last few weeks

Shame they don't care enough to talk about the root of the problem

Easy for them to spout off shite like they do. But they aren't going to do anything about it are they.

Yep :)

‘The atmosphere is crap’; yes Jurgen, and the reason for it is that local young’uns are priced out and rich day trippers are priced in - maybe if you all drop your salary expectations, the locals and the atmosphere might return.

I won’t hold my breath …

Was absolutely class, we had 12-14k there and completely drowned out the Kop. Bus windows put out, hell on afterwards in between the terraced houses. Hanson and either Gillespie or Lawrenson (can’t remember who played) were allowed to kick lumps out of our forwards all night. 

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Was absolutely class, we had 12-14k there and completely drowned out the Kop. Bus windows put out, hell on afterwards in between the terraced houses. Hanson and either Gillespie or Lawrenson (can’t remember who played) were allowed to kick lumps out of our forwards all night. 

It was Lawrenson that was the night KK realised he was done at the top level apparently.

16 minutes ago, RobS said:

Aye sounded wank on the TV, from minute 1 never mind after they equalised. Was like the crowd was waiting for it and defeated already, pathetic from them and the entire club today. 

There really can’t be that many day trippers when the vast majority of tickets are STs.