Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Interesting that it originated away from Newcastle; and makes sense to me. I've always thought it sounded a bit un-Newcastley cos it's such a bloody drawl ("ewwwwzat team we call yanaaaaiiiiiiiited"), and - to that end - it takes very little imagination to hear it sung by Smoggies...

3 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Tits!!!! I don't like it anymore 

They mention it here on Red Cafe... https://www.redcafe.net/threads/chants-songs-from-the-1960s-1970s.210975/post-4881516

And also here..   https://www.fanchants.com/football-songs/manchester_united-chants/whos-that-team-we-call-united-2/

You can tell it's an old song because it actually mentions the Mackems in the 2nd verse. [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

They mention it here on Red Cafe... https://www.redcafe.net/threads/chants-songs-from-the-1960s-1970s.210975/post-4881516

And also here..   https://www.fanchants.com/football-songs/manchester_united-chants/whos-that-team-we-call-united-2/

You can tell it's an old song because it actually mentions the Mackems in the 2nd verse. [emoji38]

Who? 

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Who? 

Sunderland fans must wistfully wish that Manure still sing it with the same lyrics. "They still sing about little old Sunlun, marra"

Another reason I'm fairly sure it was associated with Man U back then is because of the grim way the tune was converted into the song about the Munich disaster. Alas, I do remember NUFC fans taunting them with it on the two visits I made to Old Trafford in the 80s.

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Sunderland fans must wistfully wish that Manure still sing it with the same lyrics. "They still sing about little old Sunlun, marra"

That would at least be a little excitement in their drab existence....no, wait, they finished 7th once by hoofing it up to a horse. The pinnacle of any football clubs achievement 

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Another reason I'm fairly sure it was associated with Man U back then is because of the grim way the tune was converted into the song about the Munich disaster. Alas, I do remember NUFC fans taunting them with it on the two visits I made to Old Trafford in the 80s.

Ah God you're right; it's the same tune isn't it. Grim. One of my most uncomfortable football experiences ever was being sat with a bunch of Leeds fans singing that when they beat ManU at Old Trafford in the cup (Beckford winner).

I do have some sympathy for people who aren't at the match most weeks because deciphering our songbook is tricky even for the most cunning linguists

The speed at which we race through most tunes means working out the words is a nightmare

Was in the away end at Fulham and hearing the new Tonali song being belted out all game but it wasn't till the closing minutes of the match that we deciphered the "midfieldmaestrofrommilano"

Singing terrace chants should be like being at a swingers party. Take it slow, don't blow your beans in a nanosecond, give others the opportunity to join in

Just now, Yorkie said:

Ah God you're right; it's the same tune isn't it. Grim. One of my most uncomfortable football experiences ever was being sat with a bunch of Leeds fans singing that when they beat ManU at Old Trafford in the cup (Beckford winner).

Yep, it was notorious in the 80s and I think it was Leeds who invented it as they truly despised Man Utd. I think the rivalry between the two of them stems from the antagonism around Munich tbh.

As far as I'm aware, it was also Leeds who started the Spurs/Auschwitz song. They were a horrible bunch back then.

14 minutes ago, Wandy said:

You can tell it's an old song because it actually mentions the Mackems in the 2nd verse[emoji38]

That's not the second verse, it's a different song.

We had a similar version. Bring on your Rangers, Hibs and Celtic etc.

I Remember my dad telling me the who's that team we call united song when I was a kid. But I never heard us singing it in the ground til about 7 or 8 years ago

3 minutes ago, TwoForJoy said:

That's not the second verse, it's a different song.

We had a similar version. Bring on your Rangers, Hibs and Celtic etc.

It is the 2nd verse ?

Version my dad told me when I was a kid Was

Cisegan?( whoever the fuck that was )

Took a holiday he went to Budapest x3

And this is what he said

Bring on your hearts ya hibs ya celtic bring on ya spaniards by the score Barcelona Real Madrid never took the gallowgate

Then the who's that team we call united bit after it

6 minutes ago, jack j said:

It is the 2nd verse ?

Version my dad told me when I was a kid Was

Joe Harvey( whoever the fuck that was )

Took a holiday he went to Budapest x3

And this is what he said

Bring on your hearts ya hibs ya celtic bring on ya spaniards by the score Barcelona Real Madrid never took the gallowgate

Then the who's that team we call united bit after it

5 hours ago, Wandy said:

Be afraid, unfortunately. It was sung by them in the late 70s & early 80s religiously. NUFC fans never actually sung it at all in the same period. Weirdly it took off with our lot decades later, when Man U had basically ditched it from their songbook. As far as I was aware though, they were the original creators of it.

I am not saying we created it but it was sang in the Gallowgate corner and scoreboard in the 80s - the full song starting "Joe Harvey went on holiday..." I would assume but I am not old enough (might ask me fatha) that it was sang in the 70s given it commemorates the fairs cup win. But I divvent kna tbf

Good to hear the atmosphere at recent away games (Fulham/Villa/Forest) has been getting back up to the levels of old these last few games.

Obviously winning helps but in all those games the away crowd sounded great from the first whistle.

Just a thought. I popped the mackem match on the radio a few times yesterday and the atmosphere was exceptionally bad. Could here some kid shouting and screaming over silence like a primary school match, not even a general drone/murmer. It'll be on radio Newcastle/BBC sounds still for lack of doing it justice.

Don't see any disagreement amongst them that the atmosphere is poor there.

Just made me wonder as their tickets are notoriously cheap so nobody ought to have been priced out and yet it has the same problem as anywhere else.

Sunderlands home atmosphere has been non existent since they moved the away fans. Problem when you make the tickets too cheap/too easily accessible you get a lot of people turning up just for the sake of it.

A mackem on twitter earlier berating the fact that there was only 10k left in the ground at full time yesterday.

34 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Just a thought. I popped the mackem match on the radio a few times yesterday and the atmosphere was exceptionally bad. Could here some kid shouting and screaming over silence like a primary school match, not even a general drone/murmer. It'll be on radio Newcastle/BBC sounds still for lack of doing it justice.

Don't see any disagreement amongst them that the atmosphere is poor there.

Just made me wonder as their tickets are notoriously cheap so nobody ought to have been priced out and yet it has the same problem as anywhere else.

Any noisy massive lads fans get forced to work backshift at Nissan on match days marra

Management are all undercover Mags 

Edited by bobbydazzla

On 05/02/2024 at 12:33, TwoForJoy said:

late 1960's  

Bring on ya Hearts ya Hibs or Celtic, bring on ya Spaniards by the score, Barcelona Real Madrid we will make a gallant bid

We'll support you ever more.

Pretty sure it was knicked off Rangers 

On 05/02/2024 at 12:33, TwoForJoy said:

Ah, Joe Harvey. I've got very little recollection of him but he did live near me at my childhood home in West Denton when I was growing up. A bungalow facing the West Road. Drove past there last night, as I do most Sunday nights after picking up my Chinese. Often find myself singing "Joe,Joe, Joe Harvey!" A as I pass. Alone at the wheel like a mad man 😃.

On 11/02/2024 at 17:53, Wallsendmag said:

Good to hear the atmosphere at recent away games (Fulham/Villa/Forest) has been getting back up to the levels of old these last few games.

Obviously winning helps but in all those games the away crowd sounded great from the first whistle.

ID checks at all but Fulham so goes to show that wasn’t a factor. Results definitely more a factor.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

ID checks at all but Fulham so goes to show that wasn’t a factor. Results definitely more a factor.

I wonder if people are gambling a bit now? I know a few people that have been going on others tickets. As mates have said it has seemed a deterrent more than it being enforced en masse. 

Still a bit of a risk, mind. 

35 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Results help but Sheff Utd was quite muted and we won that one 8-0! The last 3 away games have been great from the off with the scorelines at 0-0.

Apparently ticket sharing is rife again which may explain it.

3 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Results help but Sheff Utd was quite muted and we won that one 8-0! The last 3 away games have been great from the off with the scorelines at 0-0.

Apparently ticket sharing is rife again which may explain it.

I don't really understand how ticket sharing is taking off when the club have followed through on their threats. Is there a trick people are using to get away with it?

4 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

I don't really understand how ticket sharing is taking off when the club have followed through on their threats. Is there a trick people are using to get away with it?

I think more people are just prepared to take the risk, knowing checks are not happening at every game, and even if they are, the odds are still in your favour.

I wouldn’t say it’s back to being “rife” mind. The points that games are selling out on are still nowhere near what they were last season.