Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

8 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Going to the match has clearly changed since the 90’s, I don’t think the type of experiences I had on terraces can ever come back 

But safe standing means certain clubs are catering for fans who want to stand and be vocal

Chelsea have 12,000 rail seats, Liverpool will have 13,000 for example. And lots of top flight clubs are happy for thousands of fans to stand in seating areas  

Our rail seats feel like a token gesture and half are in the away end. I hope there’s plans to increase rail seats, that would be a big step forward

NUFC also seem to have a draconian attitude toward threatening bans for standing in seating areas. And loads of our fans are obsessed with telling others to sit down  

Although I’m all for as much safe standing as possible playing devils advocate you could argue it’s made no difference to Chelsea and Liverpool.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Although I’m all for as much safe standing as possible playing devils advocate you could argue it’s made no difference to Chelsea and Liverpool.

Standing doesn’t necessarily equate to atmosphere. But it certainly helps.

The key thing is getting like minded people together.

Guarantee, there’d be many in the SC who wouldn’t have moved to another part of the ground if they placed safe standing/singing section there - like the Leazes.

People have to REALLY want to do it. Get it in Leazes Level 7 and Level 4. The whole corner. That would separate those who want it, to those who just want to be part of it imo. I’d happily take the back row of Level 7 to be part of it - I bet many others wouldn’t…they’re not that arsed, they just want to say they’re part of it - when it’s easy to be, when they’ve had that seat for years with a great view, and now it has singers in there too. Total win win for those in and around the SC tbh.

Totally agree with the above -  Standing doesn't equate to singing or atmosphere for me and that its definitely more an issue of clientele and being able to be with like-minded people/mates so as to let go

I was under no illusions it would make much difference. There's an inaccurate idea around that atmosphere's were great before seating.  Most places were bad most of the time prior, including SJP which was a mix of bad/toxic for most of the time 89-91 that I experienced.  

Think that's why we all let rip at away games.

59 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Totally agree with the above -  Standing doesn't equate to singing or atmosphere for me and that its definitely more an issue of clientele and being able to be with like-minded people/mates so as to let go

I was under no illusions it would make much difference. There's an inaccurate idea around that atmosphere's were great before seating.  Most places were bad most of the time prior, including SJP which was a mix of bad/toxic for most of the time 89-91 that I experienced.  

Think that's why we all let rip at away games.

Obviously for standing to work you need the right people in there

Could make the East Stand rail seating but if it was still filled with the current crop of OAP’s then it’d remain quiet 

But say to supporters that a new rail seating area is a singing area and let people move in / out as per their preference 

When we had the officially sanctioned singing section in L7 people who wanted to get involved gravitated up there and it was class 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

I know it’s not an ideal away end for atmosphere and weather not great but away end seemed quiet on TV.

As I said in the memberships thread, my mate was there and said it was dire. He’s been going to every away game for years and is very, very pissed off with the way the nature of the away support has changed this season.

29 minutes ago, Wandy said:

As I said in the memberships thread, my mate was there and said it was dire. He’s been going to every away game for years and is very, very pissed off with the way the nature of the away support has changed this season.

Seems to me like the home support who sat passively during the Ashley regime and were just happy for an afternoon out, have now decided they fancy doing aways since we became good.

Coupled with perhaps 20% corporate, staff and players family, the away end has turned to shite to match the home support.

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Seems to me like the home support who sat passively during the Ashley regime and were just happy for an afternoon out, have now decided they fancy doing aways since we became good.

Coupled with perhaps 20% corporate, staff and players family, the away end has turned to shite to match the home support.

Yep, my mate says it was much better in the away end at Wolves when they beat us 2 years ago just before the takeover went through.

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Yep, my mate says it was much better in the away end at Wolves when they beat us 2 years ago just before the takeover went through.

Which I’ve heard was a pretty miserable away end in 2021 :lol:

16 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’d got a ticket today through a pal who used to manage one of our players, was probably 8-10 tickets given by the player. One of the lads didn’t even know the offside rule😂 Definitely a few day trippers behind me too.

Atmosphere wasn’t great at all today though. I wouldn’t say we were too flat, but we definitely weren’t the 12th man that we needed today. 

Molineux acoustics were good. Their fans were loud when they could be arsed. 

50 minutes ago, ryanegg said:

I’d got a ticket today through a pal who used to manage one of our players, was probably 8-10 tickets given by the player. One of the lads didn’t even know the offside rule😂 Definitely a few day trippers behind me too.

Atmosphere wasn’t great at all today though. I wouldn’t say we were too flat, but we definitely weren’t the 12th man that we needed today. 

Molineux acoustics were good. Their fans were loud when they could be arsed. 

One player had access to 8-10 tickets today ?

I’m presuming he sourced some from other players who didn’t use their quota ?

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

One player had access to 8-10 tickets today ?

I’m presuming he sourced some from other players who didn’t use their quota ?

I don’t know the ins and outs but yeah,  it was around 8-10. Would make sense sourcing from others as this one went to very low loyalty points didn’t it?

On 28/10/2023 at 09:03, bobbydazzla said:

Going to the match has clearly changed since the 90’s, I don’t think the type of experiences I had on terraces can ever come back 

But safe standing means certain clubs are catering for fans who want to stand and be vocal

Chelsea have 12,000 rail seats, Liverpool will have 13,000 for example. And lots of top flight clubs are happy for thousands of fans to stand in seating areas  

Our rail seats feel like a token gesture and half are in the away end. I hope there’s plans to increase rail seats, that would be a big step forward

NUFC also seem to have a draconian attitude toward threatening bans for standing in seating areas. And loads of our fans are obsessed with telling others to sit down  

There are now 5,000 rail seats inside SJP and 3,200 of those are reserved for the away fans. Says it all really.

17 hours ago, LFEE said:

But there can be no argument against the fact that the unofficial standing and now club approved standing has made a massive difference in Strawberry Corner 

Its the loudest part of the ground by miles 

And the old L7 singing / standing area was the same

I don’t know if Chelsea & Liverpool encouraged more vocal fans to move to their rail seat areas. You need that to happen for it to work

And Chelsea have been fucking wank since they had rails put in, so not surprising the atmosphere is shite 

Edited by bobbydazzla

The killing of the away end is a strange one like. I don't think anyone would ever have envisaged that we wouldn't have anything other than stellar support away from home. You could barely hear them on the TV at wolves and at one point you could clearly hear "no noise from the Geordie boys". It's been a bad week for us atmosphere wise! :lol:

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

There are now 5,000 rail seats inside SJP and 3,200 of those are reserved for the away fans. Says it all really.

It's mad really that the away fans have the rail seats. If they made that a new singing section I'd gladly forsake any view and pay to stand up there.

1 hour ago, pedro111 said:

It's mad really that the away fans have the rail seats. If they made that a new singing section I'd gladly forsake any view and pay to stand up there.

Absolutely crackers why would you help the away fans create an atmosphere, Silverstone might be fulfilling his remit of bringing in sponsors, but him and his minions have no idea about ticketing, or fan consultation.

Having read bits on the internet around Arsenal’s ticketing, it seems he has previous for it becoming an absolute shit fest with empty seats and touts.

6 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Absolutely crackers why would you help the away fans create an atmosphere, Silverstone might be fulfilling his remit of bringing in sponsors, but him and his minions have no idea about ticketing, or fan consultation.

Having read bits on the internet around Arsenal’s ticketing, it seems he has previous for it becoming an absolute shit fest with empty seats and touts.

I have plenty of Arsenal supporting mates and family and can confirm it is an absolute shitfest. Not sure how they or we compare to other clubs in that regard, mind. Or how much if it can be pinned on Silverstone. 

I think this is only going to continue getting a lot worse as more and more people become more and more pissed off too.

I will be attending the Trust AGM again in January and implore as many of you as possible to come along. The Head of Supporter Services will be there, and I’ll be directing a lot of questions at her - despite me having to ask it via the board. But it will be obvious I am directing it at the Club. Hopefully plenty more are willing to do the same?

It’s all a shambles and this was all called out by many at the start of the season. Totally unavoidable - but the Club have just dug their heels in. They are not infallible. And they need to be fucking told so.

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

I have plenty of Arsenal supporting mates and family and can confirm it is an absolute shitfest. Not sure how they or we compare to other clubs in that regard, mind. Or how much if it can be pinned on Silverstone. 

It was ok prior to this season and ticketing falls under his control as far as I’m aware, happy to be corrected though.

People also complaining of empty seats again yesterday, another fall out of these ID checks, absolutely crackers that if someone falls unwell and can’t go, the only option is an empty seat and 1 less person being able to support team.

Its draconian and the fact their corporate clientele isn’t subjected to this is discriminatory and leaving a very bad taste.

2 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

But there can be no argument against the fact that the unofficial standing and now club approved standing has made a massive difference in Strawberry Corner 

Its the loudest part of the ground by miles 

And the old L7 singing / standing area was the same

I don’t know if Chelsea & Liverpool encouraged more vocal fans to move to their rail seat areas. You need that to happen for it to work

And Chelsea have been fucking wank since they had rails put in, so not surprising the atmosphere is shite 

Like I say I’m only playing devils advocate but that area was the loudest part of the ground before the safe standing.

Personally I do think it should be in all four corners with Leazes east being next as there seemed a bit of an atmosphere growing there and once it’s going and you are allowed to stand without the need to worry about others views you are likely to remain stood. I always argue that whenever I have a rare visit to a church you are always asked to stand before singing 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

33 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I think this is only going to continue getting a lot worse as more and more people become more and more pissed off too.

I will be attending the Trust AGM again in January and implore as many of you as possible to come along. The Head of Supporter Services will be there, and I’ll be directing a lot of questions at her - despite me having to ask it via the board. But it will be obvious I am directing it at the Club. Hopefully plenty more are willing to do the same?

It’s all a shambles and this was all called out by many at the start of the season. Totally unavoidable - but the Club have just dug their heels in. They are not infallible. And they need to be fucking told so.

Yeah I think I might rejoin the trust just to be there. The current situation is intolerable and has to change.