Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

Just now, The Prophet said:

Actually if we draw with Milan, it might depend on the score...

Screenshot_20231128-233910-701.png

So a) if we don't get beat we have equal points so b

b) is we don't get beat the the goal difference would be even so c

c) we win

They need to win, if we avoid defeat we are at least in the Europa the way I read it.

According to ESPN these are the tiebreakers. Goal difference in all matches comes ahead of any away goals so I think we just need to draw to finish above them.

"Tiebreakers:
1) Points
2) Head-to-head points in games involving the tied teams
3) Goal difference in head-to-head matches involving the tied teams
4) Goals scored in head-to-head matches involving the tied teams
-- If the above tiebreaker initially involves 3 or 4 teams, it is reapplied to resolve any remaining tiebreaker among fewer clubs
5) Goal difference in all group matches
6) Goals scored in all group matches
7) Away goals scored in all group matches
8) Wins in all group matches
9) Away wins in all group matches
10) Disciplinary points
11) UEFA club coefficient." - https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/38739455/what-teams-need-qualify-champions-league-groups

PSG would be raging in that situation if Milan broke away and went on to win the match as they (Milan) would go from 4th to 2nd out of nowhere, knocking PSG into the Europa, ha.

Edited by Paullow

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

Hypothetical situation - Dortmund are winning 2 or 3-0, or have already won. We are drawing 0-0 and get a corner with 2 mins of injury time to play - would you bring Pope up for it?

Too right

The europa is the consolation prize

I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory

5 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Hypothetical situation - Dortmund are winning 2 or 3-0, or have already won. We are drawing 0-0 and get a corner with 2 mins of injury time to play - would you bring Pope up for it?

Absolutely even without the solace of it fucking over those Parisian cheats.

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Too right

Aye, but it's a decent consolation prize though. More matches in Europe, new clubs to face, possibly even new countries, maybe more chance for lesser like fans (like me) to see the team if drawn against a Slavia Prague / Qarabag etc. and a chance to win a trophy and get back into the CL through the backdoor if we don't do quite enough in the league, and possibly even knock out the team that finishes 5th (not sure how that would work, but would be sweet [emoji38])? More matches on TV etc.

We hadn't even been in the Europa League for 10 years before this season, so I'd really like our European journey to continue, even if not the ultimate goal, so I think people would be fairly split, with no universal obvious answer.

13 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Aye, but Milan are not exactly flavour of the month either with the Tonali situation.

Ha, I know. Dortmund are saints compared to these other two. But yes, I'd want us to go for it and would relentlessly defend the decision if it ended badly.

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Too right

Being in the UEFA Cup is much better than a consolation - it’s a major competition which would be fantastic to be in.  We haven’t been in Europe for a decade - I want us to play as many games in it as possible.

Something with thinking about - winning the UEFA Cup wouldn’t just be one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) moments in our club’s history to date - it also means qualifying for the European Cup again next year.  

Honestly think it’s 50/50 but few things in our favour, PSG don’t look good away from home, Dortmund will want to top group, draws no good for the cheating cunts, prestigious home game against big name opposition Dortmund will want to beat them and finally it’s 2 million a win which is not chicken feed to Bundesliga clubs.

Edited by Whitley mag

10 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Honestly think it’s 50/50 but few things in our favour, PSG don’t look good away from home, Dortmund will want to top group, draws no good for the cheating cunts, prestigious home game against big name opposition Dortmund will want to beat them and finally it’s 2 million a win which is not chicken feed to Bundesliga clubs.

Id say 35% chance of CL, 40% chance of EL and 25% chance of going out of Europe.

Looking alot better than it did yesterday.

Just now, andycap said:

In two minds whether we should just rest players against Milan for the domestic league and cup campaign. Coz it'll be horrible us beaten Milan for psg to sneak through on that incident. 

We need a result to ensure we finish at the very least 3rd and carry on with the Europa. Let’s not chuck the towel in having spent all of last season playing phenomenally well to get into this competition. 

6 minutes ago, andycap said:

In two minds whether we should just rest players against Milan for the domestic league and cup campaign. Coz it'll be horrible us beaten Milan for psg to sneak through on that incident. 

Fuck that, full strength and smash them. PSG aren’t beating Dortmund away.