Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

Same as today, no expectations whatsoever of this one, our players aren't going to magically replenish their energy in three days. It's a shame because we are probably going out because we got robbed in France.

Really proud of the dudes. We gave a great account of ourselves and there were some seriously amazing moments.

One really bad call in Paris doesn't happen and we're through playing the best of the best.

Finishing last in the group after all that is pretty heartbreaking but overall still a great experience to be back for the first time in 20 years.

We'll be back soon.

do we know if we gained enough coeff points to avoid Pot4 if we are back to CL next season?

I still think 5th PL place is also will be a CL place (albeit MU and us being completely out of Europe is a big advantage for German, ITalian and Spanish teams)

this group was rightly called group of death, I cant see any other group where we wouldnt have got at least 3rd.

15 hours ago, BShearer said:

do we know if we gained enough coeff points to avoid Pot4 if we are back to CL next season?

I still think 5th PL place is also will be a CL place (albeit MU and us being completely out of Europe is a big advantage for German, ITalian and Spanish teams)

this group was rightly called group of death, I cant see any other group where we wouldnt have got at least 3rd.

Edit, misread your post. Don’t know about the pots sorry.

Edited by Joey47

15 hours ago, BShearer said:

Would obviously depend who the other teams that qualified were, but in all likelihood, probably not.

16 hours ago, BShearer said:

No, we are miles off being out of Pot 4. Our club coefficient is 8 now (it was 0). We used the country coefficient for this past draw, which was ~21 (and England had the best country coefficient). The last team in Pot 3 this season had a coefficient of 40.5. The top of Pot 4 was 34.5. 

BTW, Villa are already at 9 this season and will keep growing it. It seems like teams should be rewarded more for the Champions League, but on the flip side being in the Europa or Conference Leagues can really help future CL qualification. 

The new CL format still has pots, but I'm honestly a bit confused why. Clubs will play two teams from each pot regardless of which pot they are in. Being in Pot 4 seems less of a disadvantage in this system both for competition and money (as they are reducing the coefficient based payments).

54 minutes ago, BShearer said:

yes, thats how it looks like, Pot4 for us again if we make it to CL next season.

but that does not mean another death group, we were quite unlucky with this year group.

Also not going to be traditional groups next year either. 

I'm still sickened by this like, not for missing out on the last 16, but for throwing away Europa League chances.

I want to see us win something like. A potential European final in Dublin? That would've worked. 

With 5th place potentially not likely to get CL, a loss on Tuesday means the rest of the season is fighting probably to qualify for the Europa League. Something we could have been in anyway if we hadn't have been daft at 1-1.

25 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I'm still sickened by this like, not for missing out on the last 16, but for throwing away Europa League chances.

I want to see us win something like. A potential European final in Dublin? That would've worked. 

With 5th place potentially not likely to get CL, a loss on Tuesday means the rest of the season is fighting probably to qualify for the Europa League. Something we could have been in anyway if we hadn't have been daft at 1-1.

I think we'll have a better shot at next season's Europa League (if we get there, which I really hope we do) than this season's.

34 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

After last night’s results, 5th getting a CL place is looking much more likely.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

After last night’s results, 5th getting a CL place is looking much more likely.

Well, even if we're back in the CL next year, you get the feeling we might not be in the EL unless we're having/had a poor season. Think this team could have went on and done well in it this year - probably would have went in as second favourites. 

I know getting CL again would kick us on like, but winning the EL would be sweet after those Marseille, Lisbon, AZ capitulations. Feel like we've got history in it. 

38 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

How far in the Europa would we have to get to match just the CL group stage money? 

Apparently West Ham got £13m for winning it. We would have got that just for taking part in the R16 give or take on top of whatever we have already made

30 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Apparently West Ham got £13m for winning it. We would have got that just for taking part in the R16 give or take on top of whatever we have already made

That was the Conference League.

I think we could have comfortably seen out a 1-1 draw if EL was the ambition. I'm disappointed to be out of Europe but glad they tried to play for the win, it backfired this time but in the long run I think this is the right approach.

I'm not remotley bothered we never made the Europa League, we would have had a good run but lost to Jurgen at some point anyway and it would have been further detrimental to our league campaign. We don't have the squad this season to be able to do well in the league and have a run in Europe .

Edited by Geogaddi