Yankuba Minteh

I have made lots of assumptions because none of us know exact figures. I'm assumed that if we're breaking PSR limits it's not by huge amounts - maybe £20 - 30m? ish? If that's the case then they can't take more points from us than they have from Everton and Forest.

I also think that we at least need to see him in training before we decide to stick or twist on him. Also, I'd be fucking astonished if he's less productive that Almiron. What if we're flogging a gem we unearthed for a relative pittance and he goes on to become a £100m+ player in 3 years time? Massive risk to take, no? 

41 minutes ago, STM said:

On Minteh, I can absolutely see why a raft of European clubs are keen. He's a much safer bet for a Lyon, a Dortmund etc. I'm not sure Everton are making a sound investment at 40m though.

I'd really like to think Newcastle are sticking in a sell on clause or a buy back clause. We need to protect against the possibility of him moving on to bigger or better things.

I also hope Newcastle are prioritising Minteh going abroad, rather than selling to the PL.

I don’t think he’ll go for that much. Especially if we have favourable sell-on or buy back clauses. 

We need to recognise this for what it is. This is a fire sale.

I think the buying club will get a decent deal. Say £30m but with buy-back + 40% of future sale profits.  

If we are selling to Everton the fee will be similar to whatever we pay for DCL. 

Looks like we plan to sell Wilson too. 

17 minutes ago, STM said:

The rate at which this Minteh stuff us going suggests to me that we want to sell him before the end of the month.

Would that be right and would it aide us from an FFP perspective? 

Yes. 

I was hoping the rumours were wrong and we didn’t need to sell to be FFP compliant. But it looks like we have to sell. Villa got rinsed by Juve for Luiz.  And we are selling one of the brightest young wingers in Europe. Big clubs win again. 

Maybe this is knee jerk. But I’d rather sell Harvey Barnes than Minteh. 

1 minute ago, midds said:

I also think that we at least need to see him in training before we decide to stick or twist on him. Also, I'd be fucking astonished if he's less productive that Almiron. What if we're flogging a gem we unearthed for a relative pittance and he goes on to become a £100m+ player in 3 years time? Massive risk to take, no? 

No, not really, because we would have kept all our more important players and bought a more first team ready right wing player, and continued on pushing forward.

God knows where we would be by the time 3 years passes. Certainly not waiting around for Minteh to maybe become a £100 million player.

Make more sense, no? :laugh:

21 minutes ago, STM said:

The rate at which this Minteh stuff us going suggests to me that we want to sell him before the end of the month.

Would that be right and would it aide us from an FFP perspective? 

Won’t know for sure but those two things would suggest to me yes

4 minutes ago, midds said:

I have made lots of assumptions because none of us know exact figures. I'm assumed that if we're breaking PSR limits it's not by huge amounts - maybe £20 - 30m? ish? If that's the case then they can't take more points from us than they have from Everton and Forest.

I don’t think we can afford points deductions. At the top it will be the difference between CL and Europa, Europa and no Europe. 

Im more annoyed that we haven’t tried any real FFP hacks. Tell Miggy he’s not wanted, give him a blank cheque and ask him to jot down an annual salary that would have him move to Saudi. 

Sell the training ground. 

Something. 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

No, not really, because we would have kept all our more important players and bought a more first team ready right wing player, and continued on pushing forward.

God knows where we would be by the time 3 years passes. Certainly not waiting around for Minteh to maybe become a £100 million player.

Make more sense, no? :laugh:

I'm just sayimg there's an element of risk regardless of whether we get him out of the door this week or keep him and take the hit. Personally I think I'd take the hit, see how he goes and then make an informed decision. It'll maybe cost us a few points but it's what I think I'd do - if others disagree then fair enough

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think he’ll go for that much. Especially if we have favourable sell-on or buy back clauses. 

We need to recognise this for what it is. This is a fire sale.

I think the buying club will get a decent deal. Say £30m but with buy-back + 40% of future sale profits.  

If we are selling to Everton the fee will be similar to whatever we pay for DCL. 

Looks like we plan to sell Wilson too. 

Yes. 

I was hoping the rumours were wrong and we didn’t need to sell to be FFP compliant. But it looks like we have to sell. Villa got rinsed by Juve for Luiz.  And we are selling one of the brightest young wingers in Europe. Big clubs win again. 

Maybe this is knee jerk. But I’d rather sell Harvey Barnes than Minteh. 

I gave you a like right until that last sentence as I’m a huge fan of Barnes, in goals alone over 8 premier league seasons he’s averaged scoring in 25% of total games and I’m sure assists are good stats as well.  You talk about premiere league hardened and he’s a great example of that.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think we can afford points deductions. At the top it will be the difference between CL and Europa, Europa and no Europe. 

Im more annoyed that we haven’t tried any real FFP hacks. Tell Miggy he’s not wanted, give him a blank cheque and ask him to jot down an annual salary that would have him move to Saudi. 

Sell the training ground. 

Something. 

Agree with that too :thup:

Training gear sponsor is the one for me. Sign a 1 year deal, slap aramco all over the training gear for a £25m (or whatever) deal and bank it immediately. If it's possible obviously like :lol:

11 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Minteh played 200 minutes in CL and 100 in the Europa against Roma (CL level opposition). I didn't watch them but they may be a better yardstick than Eredivise.

If he's not going for big bucks and simply for the accounting shenanigans, I hope there is a sell on or buyback.

Half of that was against Celtic.

1 minute ago, midds said:

I'm just sayimg there's an element of risk regardless of whether we get him out of the door this week or keep him and take the hit. Personally I think I'd take the hit, see how he goes and then make an informed decision. It'll maybe cost us a few points but it's what I think I'd do - if others disagree then fair enough

I understand man. That's fair enough :thup:

23 minutes ago, KaKa said:

What happens if we go with this and plug him into the first team as our right winger option, and he goes out there and performs poorly? Massive risk to take, no?

Aye, but I can’t see him being any worse than Miggy.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I gave you a like right until that last sentence as I’m a huge fan of Barnes, in goals alone over 8 premier league seasons he’s averaged scoring in 25% of total games and I’m sure assists are good stats as well.  You talk about premiere league hardened and he’s a great example of that.

The transfer never made sense to me. He’s a good player. But he’s backup. If things go well… he’ll remain backup his entire career for us. 

We have loads of options at LW too. 

It’s not a serious suggestion anyway. I’m just a bit frustrated by how we’ve built the squad. It’s quality. But not coherent. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Again - we need to be able to sell miggy, we can’t just keep saying no to sell all of the only players we’re both getting bids for and are wanting to go.

29 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

What he’s saying is it’s three years from July since we spent £144 million in first January transfer window so that comes back into play.

Nah he admitted after that's not what he means 

Just now, Gawalls said:

Again - we need to be able to sell miggy, we can’t just keep saying no to sell all of the only players we’re both getting bids for and are wanting to go.

I’m not saying anything about keeping or selling him. I was replying to a post saying it’s a risk keeping him in case he performs poorly. I was saying even if he does I can’t see him being as bad as Miggy.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

The transfer never made sense to me. He’s a good player. But he’s backup. If things go well… he’ll remain backup his entire career for us. 

We have loads of options at LW too. 

It’s not a serious suggestion anyway. I’m just a bit frustrated by how we’ve built the squad. It’s quality. But not coherent. 

You need two for each position and he’s a very valid second choice. He’s got us a few goals from the bench last season and without checking im sure some were probably cementing a win or at least a result.  I live in Leicester and people down here all were gutted when they had to sell.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

You need two for each position and he’s a very valid second choice. He’s got us a few goals from the bench last season and without checking im sure some were probably cementing a win or at least a result.  I live in Leicester and people down here all were gutted when they had to sell.

We have 3 at LW. And 0 at RW. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Our problem is that we can’t sell dead wood or squad players. 

On FM you could get a few quid for Longstaff and Almiron. In real life - nobody wants them. 

And the ones we have loaned out won’t leave - it will get better but will take time. Newcastles money men will be some of the best around and if they say this has to happen then that’s fine by me

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

On FM you could get a few quid for Longstaff and Almiron. In real life - nobody wants them. 

People would take them, just not at a fee we would deem acceptable imo.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I reckon we'll receive fees for both before the window shuts. Our concerns may be a bit more immediate though.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

People would take them, just not at a fee we would deem acceptable imo.

Neither would fetch as much as a 19 year old with 1 years experience in the Eredivisie.  I’m not sure they would fetch half.

both are late window panic buys too lol. 

that’s the problem. 

Edited by The College Dropout

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I understand man, but can we really operate by this premise?

Also we really need to aim for someone that we anticipate being very good on that right side, and not just better than Miggy, which might still not mean they're good enough.

Even on that left hand side, i think part of the reason we went for Barnes, was because although the club rated Gordon, there wasn't any certainty his progress would be so rapid, and so Barnes was a more guaranteed performer output wise. I think Gordon was more of an upside purchase. With Barnes injury early on and Gordon's breakthrough season it worked out differently though. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think noone wants a Longstaff or Almiron that we are trying to sell right now, likely because they know that we after extra coin.

I reckon there would be plenty of takers, if the price was right. 

The issue is that nobody wants to pay north of 20m for either player and rightly so, you might get someone younger who might improve for that price. Anything less than 20m and Howe will see it as not worth selling, mainly because then he has to replace them and therefore we are in a stalemate. 

I know some would flog them for peanuts but it's not smart business.

What I suspect will happen, is that we will get lower offers, after we've done our main business and that will force us to really think about whether we'd rather have the money and take the risk.

Personally, if we get anything north of 15m for either, we might have to take it, even if it leaves us short. 

Who would pay 15m for Longstaff? Anyone who wants to stay in the PL and needs "solid".