Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

13 minutes ago, 54 said:

You'd have preferred to sell Bruno, our most important and influential player, over someone who hadn't kicked a ball for us? ???

Less to do with Minteh.  More to do with Bruno being at peak value and us needing the revenue. £100m + a few smaller sales would be enough for a bit of a rebuild. 

Unless something changes significantly. We’ll have to sell Crown Jewels eventually. So it’s about getting top dollar for them, selling at the right time and investing it wisely.  

If there’s a plan to increase revenues by £80m within the next year then no. We keep him as long as we want. 

But if we keep doing what we’re doing and the rules don’t change significantly. Sell high, buy low that will gain in value, rinse & repeat has to be the model.  The RB, Dortmund model.  The problem with our current position and PSR is we can be bullied into selling for Lower fees. That happened to us with Minteh already.   

Our wage bill continues to increase. 

Edited by The College Dropout

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Less to do with Minteh.  More to do with Bruno being at peak value and us needing the revenue. £100m + a few smaller sales would be enough for a bit of a rebuild. 

Unless something changes significantly. We’ll have to sell Crown Jewels eventually. So it’s about getting top dollar for them, selling at the right time and investing it wisely.  

If there’s a plan to increase revenues by £80m within the next year then no. We keep him as long as we want. 

But if we keep doing what we’re doing and the rules don’t change significantly. Sell high, buy low that will gain in value, rinse & repeat has to be the model.  The RB, Dortmund model.  The problem with our current position and PSR is we can be bullied into selling for Lower fees. That happened to us with Minteh already.   

Our wage bill continues to increase. 

We need the rules to change quite soonish otherwise this is an unfortunate reality.

51 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

SJP would've been surrounded by an angry mob if we'd sold Bruno to keep Anderson and a player most fans have never seen :lol:

Yea, reasonable response from the fans, but the harsh reality under current PSR is like that. 

I probably should add we could buy 2-3 more prospects in addition to Minteh and Anderson

13 minutes ago, Zero said:

Yea, reasonable response from the fans, but the harsh reality under current PSR is like that. 

I probably should add we could buy 2-3 more prospects in addition to Minteh and Anderson

Well the reality isn't so black and white, we've managed to comply without selling a star.  It's odd if that is considered a negative. Admittedly the way we managed it was chaotic. 

Of course we need to buy some players and sell them on, but you could argue that's what Minteh was bought for. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Apologies but I take no pleasure in reminding people that Ted Knutson thought Emmanuel Riviere was a good player.

He also said this in the article:

"If you had to make a choice I think selling [Anthony] Gordon was probably the right one. But it’s hard, it’s extremely difficult to pilot all this stuff and find the right path"

Edited by Dandy Man
Spelling

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

SJP would've been surrounded by an angry mob if we'd sold Bruno to keep Anderson and a player most fans have never seen :lol:

Release clause. 

We have a high wage bill that keeps increasing. Also have a high amortisation carry over.  

We’ve sold 2 out of our 3 known ‘wonderkids’. If we want to rebuild we’ll need to raise significant funds. Unless we change tact with sponsorships that will mean sales. 

23 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I really hope we sign a quality right winger this winter so this Minteh "mistake" argument can die down.

I would love that to happen. I would love it to have happened 12 months ago really.

33 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I really hope we sign a quality right winger this winter so this Minteh "mistake" argument can die down.

That Minteh who plays for Brighton would be the perfect quality right winger.

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Release clause. 

We have a high wage bill that keeps increasing. Also have a high amortisation carry over.  

We’ve sold 2 out of our 3 known ‘wonderkids’. If we want to rebuild we’ll need to raise significant funds. Unless we change tact with sponsorships that will mean sales. 

Not sure either of them qualify as wonderkids but I get the point. 

38 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

That Minteh who plays for Brighton would be the perfect quality right winger.

Maybe.  But there are many right wingers and we needed to sell him at the time.  At the end of the day he's a kid that had one above average year in a below average European league but shows a lot of promise.  I'm sure he will do well but some of the posts on here are like he's the only decent right wing prospect in world football.  It frustrating we had to sell him, he's guaranteed to score at the weekend but he's been average at best at Brighton.  The way Howe introduces players to the team I'm not convinced he's have had much game time at all here this season.

I searched a Brighton forum to see what they think of him so far.  These are genuinely the first posts I found:

These two were after the Spurs game when he scored:

Minteh 7 - great to see him score and that will hopefully help him a lot. His League Two-dribbling needs to be sorted one way or another though because it leads to us losing possession too many times.

"will hopefully help him a lot" implies a lot about his previous games...

Minteh 4 I know he got the goal and that seemed to give him confidence but was terrible in 1st half

This was a bit earlier when rating their new players:

Of the new players so far Minteh has no touch or decision making

Our mistake was not selling him(our hands were tied) it was not signing someone else.  

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

I think when people think of the horror of selling Bruno they seem to be completely overlooking the fact he would obviously be replaced by a lower profile, younger player on lower wages. Hopefully that player would have  a similar career trajectory and then we’d sell him. 
To be able to really invest serious money in the squad we either massively increase revenue (clearly extremely difficult) or we sell high and reinvest in lower value players.

If we are to grow the value of our squad that squad will need to have a transitory feel for a while.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't think we're overlooking that, we just have different views on what we would prefer. 

I'd prefer to keep Bruno and spend £150M.

But, reality…..

9 minutes ago, Lotus said:

But, reality…..

This is the thing. I'm sure we'd have preferred to have kept Minteh and Anderson as well regardless of whether they turn out to be stars or flops, but because of the way PSR is rigged we had to sell someone. Selling Bruno sounds ridiculous currently, but unless we are allowed to invest big money into getting two or three key areas of the squad upgraded within the next 12-24 months we'll be selling him anyway, at diminishing returns depending on when that happens.

14 minutes ago, Lotus said:

But, reality…..

Well that wasn't my argument. For example, some people might prefer to keep Bruno, sell two young players and spend a bit less. It's not a no-brainer that selling our best players is the right way forward every time. 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well that wasn't my argument. For example, some people might prefer to keep Bruno, sell two young players and spend a bit less. It's not a no-brainer that selling our best players is the right way forward every time. 

That’s true. If, as a club you’ve committed to squad churn to achieve the maximum potential levels for squad investment then it makes sense to sell when your highest value players at their highest value.

And Bruno is my favourite player.

It would kill me to see him leave. 
I'm coming to the conclusion that a Howe team is not really the best vehicle to showcase Isak’s talents to their utmost
I think an EH team needs a stronger striker who has a relentless engine for defensive work.

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Quite unlikely. If someone triggered Bruno’s release clause there’s fuck all anyone could do about it 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I assumed we were talking about taking an active decision to sell him. 

Yes but that can only happen if someone wants him and I doubt we’d sell him for under that clause value so therefor either no one wants him or someone does and would have to pay for him and trigger that clause. Unless of course you think we’d take less than the clause £100m for him

Edited by gdm

51 minutes ago, gdm said:

Quite unlikely. If someone triggered Bruno’s release clause there’s fuck all anyone could do about it 

That's what the owners were thinking would happen. The amount of times this thread is updated is mad, you have one player who didn't really impress at all in the 50 games he played in and another who would have went back out on loan this season imo (he'd also actually hadn't been that impressive until the last game either). PSR is the reason they were sold, it's what we have to accept until the rules eventually do come crashing down. Anyway best for me to just keep out of this thread from now on