Yankuba Minteh

Just now, joeyt said:

Pretty frustrated and disappointed in this

Indeed. We’ll obviously have to wait and see where things stand at the end of the window but selling a talent that’s admired by some huge clubs when we don’t even have a RW of any decent quality in the squad is extremely frustrating. I can understand the reasons for it, we’re obviously massively struggling to sell our weaker players. However, the whole thing feels very backwards at the moment 

If he goes, I assume it's an FFP/PSR thing. Particularly if he goes to Everton, as was rumoured in the DCL thread and we end up getting him back in return.

I jokingly said that kind of deal might happen between clubs at their limit in the FFP thread. But anyway I don't suppose it matters too much where he ends up if the monetary outcome is the same.

It'd be a huge shame if he has a real chance of making it obviously, especially if it was going to be with us.

On the other hand, I'd console myself with this. Either, we've been watching his development while he's on loan and perhaps we don't think he fits our team or the PL.

Or, maybe we think he could make it with the right coaching but still have to sell him anyway for FFP reasons. In that case, at least there's the silver lining that we don't have to sell one of our established stars instead.

I guess we'll know which of those it is if he gets sold before or after 30 June. 

1 hour ago, Zero said:

If we need to sell Minteh before the June deadline due to PSR, and we won’t have Europe football next season, why would people got their hopes up that we could spend big on someone this summer? We are already in the PSR red zone.

Because a large proportion of outlay/loss incurred during Ashley's last summer and our First January window drops off from the 3 year rolling  period, plus the club is expected to announce multiple new sponsorships relating to training kit etc?

this stuff has been talked to death since the takeover, why do some still not get how it works?

1 minute ago, TRon said:

There's only one way to look at this for me. Why am I looking at headlines about selling Minteh and not Almiron this morning?

Fuck that shit.

No one wants Almiron for the money we can get for Minteh?

Just now, The Prophet said:

It might not be enough to balance the books though.

Then those in charge have done a poor job. Surely can’t be going into the last week needing a minimum 30 million to not break the rules.

2 hours ago, Gawalls said:

Every single article that says we’re selling him states we don’t want to but need to for PSR, just wondering - what’s baffling you?

His performances in the Eredivisie would suggest, at the very least, we take a closer look at him before making any decision on his future. There’s at least half’ a dozen ‘saleable’ assets that I’d sell to generate income first. Finally the players we are being linked with seem like squad fillers and not the ready made first 11 improvements we need. Yes I know it’s early in the window and the club doesn’t want to show its hand too early. If we are going to let a player of his profile go (we aren’t Chelsea and we don’t have multiple young starlets) let’s hope we are bringing in a Chiesa or someone who will take us to the next level.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Then those in charge have done a poor job. Surely can’t be going into the last week needing a minimum 30 million to not break the rules.

It's odd that both us and Villa, who are otherwise well ran clubs, have fallen foul. 

It's probably a combination of not getting the sales they thought they would in January or not being able to lobby for the rule changes they expected, as selling Minteh seems like a least resort.

Either way, them having to sell Luiz and us Minteh shows how the regulations strangles ambious clubs.

2 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

His performances in the Eredivisie would suggest, at the very least, we take a closer look at him before making any decision on his future. There’s at least half’ a dozen ‘saleable’ assets that I’d sell to generate income first. Finally the players we are being linked with seem like squad fillers and not the ready made first 11 improvements we need. Yes I know it’s early in the window and the club doesn’t want to show its hand too early. If we are going to let a player of his profile go (we aren’t Chelsea and we don’t have multiple young starlets) let’s hope we are bringing in a Chiesa or someone who will take us to the next level.

Yes, but you need buyers for those saleable assets prior to 30 June.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It's odd that both us and Villa, who are otherwise well ran clubs, have fallen foul. 

It's probably a combination of not getting the sales they thought they would in January or not being able to lobby for the rule changes they expected, as selling Minteh seems like a least resort.

Either way, them having to sell Luiz and us Minteh shows how the regulations strangles ambious clubs.

We should have taken the Bayern bid for Trippier in January in hindsight.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

We should have taken the Bayern bid for Trippier in January in hindsight.

If we’d sold tripps in Jan and never had that hindsight then these conversations would have happened in the tripps thread.

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

How do we know that this is actually the case? Has this kid actually sold yet? I mean there’s putting 2&2 together and coming up with 5, and then there’s whatever the hell large portions of this thread consist of.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

If we’d sold tripps in Jan and never had that hindsight then these conversations would have happened in the tripps thread.

I think quite a few were open to selling in January in fairness. The overall feeling was it was the best time to sell and we had to become good sellers to succeed.

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

How do we know that this is actually the case? Has this kid actually sold yet? I mean there’s putting 2&2 together and coming up with 5, and then there’s whatever the hell large portions of this thread consist of.

I think it’s fairly well reported we need to sell by then end of the week.