NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

…but it helped. And it was part and parcel of steadily growing the club to the point where this morning a foreign player has openly chosen us over Bayern Munich. 

It was in the FFP planning strategy insofar as every player except Berbatov was bought young and relatively cheap and then developed. Berba was brought in relatively cheap and probably always saw us as a stepping stone. Hopefully now we’re closer to the other side of the pond.

I mean, he’s chosen you because a) he’s never going to start for Bayern and b) he wants to move to the Prem. I’m pretty sure he would have moved to any top ten PL club if the opportunity arose. 

Marcus Edward’s - winger/attacking midfielder. Good with both feet *cough* English - 25. Plays for Sporting CP. not sure if he’s for sale or what his valuation would be. If we didn’t have such shit luck with injuries I likely wouldn’t be thinking of someone in his position, but more so another striker and DM. 

Considering the amount of English and Home Grown players we have and the tight FFP restrictions it makes zero sense to be player over the odds for English PL players.

Time to use Ashworths scouting network to bring in promising foreign players from obscure leagues. 

Edited by Jesse Pinkman

2 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Not at the same level, but not too far off.  Generated quote a lot of money last year :lol:

Man City and Chelsea are kind of in their own league there. Would be interested to see the figures over the last five years. It feels like a lot of the success is dependent upon how many players you can poach from lower league academies or abroad.

Even less than Man U & Liverpool & Arsenal. They've all got multiple squad players they could sell for £15m+ from the academy. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Even less than Man U & Liverpool & Arsenal. They've all got multiple squad players they could sell for £15m+ from the academy. 

It’s relatively close though:

https://football-observatory.com/WeeklyPost446

https://www.bettingodds.com/news/report-football-academies-manchester-united-have-provided-the-most-players-to-the-present-day-english-football-pyramid

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Does TCD get paid every time he types “Palmer” on here? :lol:

I love him as a player man. It hurts that we missed out on him. He was perfect for us. I'll keep saying his and Kudus name. Good reputations, decent fee, young.. ergh we are still playing Miggy & Murph.

14 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

I mean, he’s chosen you because a) he’s never going to start for Bayern and b) he wants to move to the Prem. I’m pretty sure he would have moved to any top ten PL club if the opportunity arose. 

Ssssh, I’m pontificating here :lol:

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

Fair. But i'm looking forward. I couldn't think of a single Spurs academy grad at the club that could go for more than £15m.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Fair. But i'm looking forward. I couldn't think of a single Spurs academy grad at the club that could go for more than £15m.

Right now definitely not after Winks and Kane leaving in the Summer…unless somebody’s desperate for a CM who runs around a lot (Skipp). If you’re looking forward then maybe Devine, Donley, Dorrington, Keeley and Mikey Moore. 

I’ll wait and see how things settle down after Ange has been in place for a season. Hoping that we’ll have cleared some of the deadwood by then and have a crop of kids coming through who’ve had successful loans.

Anyway this is not the place :lol:

IMG_0182.png.524ac8fe8dc00c87f443fdc35f849b9c.png

Dan Ashworth holds Saudi talks as January transfer message goes public – Report

January 10, 2024 Olly Hawkins

The Athletic have released an update on the current state of play at Newcastle United after a quiet start to the January transfer window.

They report reveals that Dan Ashworth has been in Saudi Arabia this month to meet with PIF representatives and discuss our transfer blueprint, with the ‘consistent message’ from meetings stressing that the bulk of our business will take place over the second half of January; a time where appealing loan deals are likely to be sanctioned.

Chris Waugh adds that a transfer committee – likely to consist of our co-owners, Dan Ashworth, Eddie Howe and Steve Nickson – will meet this week to firm up our transfer plans, with the Toon boss eager to bring in a midfielder and versatile forward. Goalkeepers are being explored following a long-term injury to Nick Pope, but it’s thought a new stopper is ‘unlikely’ to arrive, as things stand.

The club are being forced to be “creative” in the market and there’s hope Kalvin Phillips could arrive on loan from Man City, but The Athletic reveal that domestic and overseas alternatives are also being explored, with club scouts attending a series of games in recent days to watch over a host of potential targets.

It’s also said that Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi have stressed to Eddie Howe that they are working hard to improve the squad while working within the Premier League’s Profit and Sustainability Rules. Loan deals with options or obligations to buy remain the most likely route to new arrivals, with the club having one domestic loan slot available after Lewis Hall’s summer move from Chelsea.

It’s believed no one has been ‘transfer listed’, despite reports suggesting certain squad players are up for sale, but moving on fringe men or ageing assets is an avenue that will be explored, with player trading likely to take place this summer to help us manage FFP constraints.

So, it seems a midfielder and versatile forward are the priorities, loans are likely and the club are very much active in their attempts to bolster Howe’s squad, but it may not be until the second half of January where we see ins and outs.

Edited by PauloGeordio

2 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Good post and the bolded bit is especially important. There are definitely things to dislike about FFP, but the general idea of it is a good one. Clubs shouldn't be left in ruin when some rich owner gets bored or takes things too far. The various financial restrictions imposed by the Premier League and UEFA are a bit different, but they are all tied to the same critical things: revenue. Growing that is the path to sustained success and we are starting incredibly far behind.

Man United, Spurs, and Arsenal all generate over £100m in matchday revenue. Man City, Liverpool, and Chelsea are all in the £70-85m range. In our last published accounts (21/22) we were under £30m. Even Villa, in the same time period with 10k less capacity, were almost £10m more. This is why 1) the stadium needs to be expanded 2) ticket prices are going to go up (unfortunately) and 3) corporate / high priced seating really needs to be increased. This category has a ceiling though - Man Utd's matchday revenue today is basically the same as it was more than a decade ago.

The next big bucket is commercial revenue. In our 21/22 accounts our commercial revenue was less than half of what Manchester United brought in in 2009. The Adidas and Sela deals are big, but that still leaves us £150-200m+ per year behind the Big 6. There are many options to explore here and I'm sure we're looking at everything, but getting to the figures the others generate requires a global footprint (see City Football Group), global partnerships (see Spurs and the NFL), and, more than anything, a global brand. That takes both consistent success and time. 

And then there's player sales. Manchester City have brought in £330m in sales in the last 5 years to put on top of massive commercial growth and huge broadcasting income. Chelsea basically fund their whole operation this way. Ideally this would be led by the sales of good, non-elite academy players and a never-ending pipeline of Minteh type loan > sales. But, in the near to medium term, it's almost certainly going to have to include what Spurs did and that's bringing in huge fees for their best players. Sometimes that will work out great and other times we'll struggle to replace them.

Success is not going to be a straight line and we may be in one of the more frustrating periods. We broke into the Champions League, but there shouldn't be any expectation of being in it every year. Frankly, no one other than City (and we'll see post-Guardiola) can have that expectation anymore. Even before we got involved there were six clubs for four spots. We're trying to join that group along with Villa, who appear to be on a good path. Even if England consistently gets a 5th place we're probably looking at three clubs being left out each season who feel they should be in there. No one is going to be able to rely on the massive Champions League revenue, which makes all of the above even more important.

This is also why the stadium isn’t fit for purpose.  There isn’t the money in the NE to raise ticket prices to be on a par with London.  The club would need extensive corporate areas to compete - selling boxes for silly money is how to do it.  We don’t have the space to do this at present.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This is also why the stadium isn’t fit for purpose.  There isn’t the money in the NE to raise ticket prices to be on a par with London.  The club would need extensive corporate areas to compete - selling boxes for silly money is how to do it.  We don’t have the space to do this at present.  

I did a stadium tour with my boy last season and from memory they said Arsenal corporate boxes go for a million each per season, whereas ours go for less than £50k.

3 hours ago, STM said:

In fairness, the one thing I absolutely trust about our ownership is maximising revenue.

I think we will see an astonishingly positive set of figures next time out (from an income perspective) and our commercial side will probably see one of the biggest growth by a football club, ever.

We've also had to do it by being sqeaky clean (we'll sort of, Sela, nudge wink).

It’s one of the big criticisms I’d have is their slowness in actually getting commercials in.  Especially some seriously low-hanging fruit.  I’m not at all confident re the maximising revenue element to date. 

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s one of the big criticisms I’d have is their slowness in actually getting commercials in.  Especially some seriously low-hanging fruit.  I’m not at all confident re the maximising revenue element to date. 

Interesting, I wonder why that is?

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm reserving judgement until the start of next season. I'd like to see the details from the 22/23 accounts and then also what we announce leading into next season. It's possible we have a lot of stuff lined up on top of Adidas.

19 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I'm reserving judgement until the start of next season. I'd like to see the details from the 22/23 accounts and then also what we announce leading into next season. It's possible we have a lot of stuff lined up on top of Adidas.

Im sure I remember reading that current sponsors or shirt suppliers could sue for loss of earnings similar to any subsequent sales / profits made.

Which was the reason we couldn't switch from castore last year.

4 hours ago, Jagten said:

Solanke is better. Jonathan David is mid as and there's a reason nobody has bought him. 

Thats crazy talk imo. He can play in Mid like. He is younger than Solanke, different type of striker but deadly and great at setting up plays and his movement is tremendous. Howe would be incredible for him.

Lille have put his price sky high in previous windows and blocked sales. He has relentlessly been linked to most top clubs in the world. There is also a reason Solanke plays in the 

1 minute ago, duo said:

There must be cash to spend if we did enquire about Solanke

It’s a complete smoke screen so we can go for our real target this January 

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1440

:troll:

This is probably tactical Nufc, leak a none story to the Telegraph with former in form Howe signing, while carefully bringing in another player totally unexpected. 

We've become good at this now.

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This is the key issue. If you have to generate revenue to spend then there are limited sources. Matchday and other stadium-generated revenue is an essential part.

Arsenal made the move early on but had the perfect opportunity in available land and sympathetic local authorities. Man City somewhat lucked into a new stadium. West Ham massively lucked into a new stadium. Levy worked on it for over a decade before finally making it happen.

Liverpool have repeatedly expanded Anfield to a capacity of 61K. Villa are working on expanding Villa Park to 50K by 2028 and other redevelopment. The biggest issues now seem to be you guys and Chelsea. Both locations impose restrictions on what can be achieved with the current ground.