NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

25 minutes ago, Lotus said:

What if it was Ederson in and Joelinton out (in the summer)? 

Depends on the money we get for Joe and what that means for the overall transfer plans. Would rather sell Longstaff. Ederson, Willock, Joelinton, Tonali is a super fit, quick, strong bunch. But my own personal preference for midfielders would have a more technical blend.

29 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Isn’t this what we want. This is a many city type player?

IMG_4878.png

I have my little desktop scouting process.

First I watch a couple compilations:

Then I check a few stat and profile pages: 

https://fbref.com/en/players/a9202def/Ederson

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/362556/Show/Éderson

https://www.sofascore.com/player/ederson/946888

I find I get a decent flavour of a player looking at this. He's a tough box-to-box player, a dribbling CM, who likes a good long pass and has an eye for goal. Statistically, not a great or progressive passer. Joelinton, Willock & Tonali have most of those strengths and weaknesses.

I like him from what I see. But it's more of the same which is underwhelming.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Depends on the money we get for Joe and what that means for the overall transfer plans. Would rather sell Longstaff. Ederson, Willock, Joelinton, Tonali is a super fit, quick, strong bunch. But my own personal preference for midfielders would have a more technical blend.

I find I get a decent flavour of a player looking at this. He's a tough box-to-box player, a dribbling CM, who likes a good long pass and has an eye for goal. Statistically, not a great or progressive passer. Joelinton, Willock & Tonali have most of those strengths and weaknesses.

He looks an upgrade on Longstaff to me. Him Bruno and Joelinton would be solid.

Then add Tonali to the mix. Longstaff and Willock you have a decent mix.

48 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Just his profile is very similar to what we have. A great athlete but a limited passer.  We are not evolving the style we are doubling down.  Hard. 

Players that are technically gifted and physically able to press to the demands of Howe ball don’t grow on trees though, and you’re talking big money for the like. 

We brute forced results with the press last season, depth in physical ability is never a bad thing for a system like ours.. its literally the bread and butter of what we do.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

FFP might cause transfer market deflation.

But last summers money, current Gordon is worth £50m easily. Brennan Johnson went for that amount to Spurs. Gordon is tracking towards a 12+ goal season. 20 G/A contribution season, all from open play.

What were Johnson’s numbers last season?

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Is this shit serious!

I'm letting KaKa off the hook.

Just now, Nine said:

Players that are technically gifted and physically able to press to the demands of Howe ball don’t grow on trees though, and you’re talking big money for the like. 

Agreed. I think we could benefit from being a little less physically demanding and a little more technical. If you look at the evolution of Liverpool's midfield, it's a slightly more technical approach to a high-press game. Lose a little physically but gain more technically.

It's a balance but our dial is pushed pretty far to the physical atm.

The other lad from Italy we are looking at looks a good player. Not a passer either though. 

Chelsea wanting £50m for Armando Broja.

Not saying that's the figure we should pay, but if he could sort his fitness issues out, he'd be a good young striker to work alongside Isak for the right price.

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

What were Johnson’s numbers last season?

Something like 8 league goals. 22. Pacy wide forward.

I think Gordon would be worth more but would use Johnson as a minimum benchmark. Richarlison went for £60m the year before but I think being a Brazilian international adds some value.

5 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Is this shit serious!

You obviously can’t judge a players real quality and what level X player is at. However, you are able to get a decent overview of a player as an individual, what kind of style and what their biggest strengths and weakness are by reading up and watching. Not a way of scouting properly, obviously not even near. 

5 minutes ago, CallumG6 said:

Chelsea wanting £50m for Armando Broja.

Not saying that's the figure we should pay, but if he could sort his fitness issues out, he'd be a good young striker to work alongside Isak for the right price.

2 goals in 2 years, it’s an absolutely mental price. 

8 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Is this shit serious!

?? Not claiming to be an expert on a player when I do this. I just get an idea of what he's meant to be good at and the stats show potential limitations and how they rank against other players in their position. And it let's you assess the media narrative e.g. some called Tonali a young Pirlo. The stats didn't back that up and the compilations look more all-action. Similarly Pope's stats suggested he was a far superior GK to Dubravka - especially commanding the area and sweeping/coming off his line. Those things turned out to be exactly what happened. It didn't show Pope can't kick or pass but it gave a decent view of the players strengths and weaknesses.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Just his profile is very similar to what we have. A great athlete but a limited passer.  We are not evolving the style we are doubling down.  Hard. 

I don't think it should be a surprise that we are doubling down. Howe has seen his high-intensity, press like maniacs style get us into the Champions League, demolish multiple good sides (including PSG).

What he wants is as many players who can fit seamlessly into that plan as possible. Gordon runs himself into the ground for 60mins, Barnes comes on. Willock wears himself out after 70mins, Longstaff comes on etc. We haven't been able to do that this season because of injuries, suspension and lack of depth - clearly he thinks that adding depth will allow us to play at that pace for 90mins multiple times per week and that that is the best route for success.

10 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't think it should be a surprise that we are doubling down. Howe has seen his high-intensity, press like maniacs style get us into the Champions League, demolish multiple good sides (including PSG).

What he wants is as many players who can fit seamlessly into that plan as possible. Gordon runs himself into the ground for 60mins, Barnes comes on. Willock wears himself out after 70mins, Longstaff comes on etc. We haven't been able to do that this season because of injuries, suspension and lack of depth - clearly he thinks that adding depth will allow us to play at that pace for 90mins multiple times per week and that that is the best route for success.

I think any style of football that requires elite physical exertion is always going to run into increased fatigue and fitness issues. So you need a very deep squad to cope. With FFP limitations that's tough to put together. Liverpool has had this issue and we are even more demanding than them.

I think slightly more possession-based styles scale better at the elite level. I think greater rotation scales better at the elite level.

Edited by The College Dropout

16 minutes ago, Ikon said:

You obviously can’t judge a players real quality and what level X player is at. However, you are able to get a decent overview of a player as an individual, what kind of style and what their biggest strengths and weakness are by reading up and watching. Not a way of scouting properly, obviously not even near. 

I always thought Joelinton was a midfielder not a striker, identified it before Howe arrived, then Howe came along and proved me right.

Never once claimed scouting knowledge. 

Graham Carr scouted players for years, Tiote he scouted for 4 years before we signed him, Nickson I don't think is as thorough/meticulous as Carr, but he's sat out there in Italy, in January, in the cold, watching live, identifying what we need.

Can't be taking someone seriously who never knew a dot on Ederson prior, jumping on here claiming its not what we need, or they're similar to what we already have, just bizarre. 

Some people need better hobbies than fantasising their 5 minute online research, in the hope of appearing knowledgeable online.

8 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I always thought Joelinton was a midfielder not a striker, identified it before Howe arrived, then Howe came along and proved me right.

Graham Carr scouted players for years, Tiote he scouted for 4 years before we signed him, Nickson I don't think is as thorough/meticulous as Carr, but he's sat out there in Italy, in January, in the cold, watching live, identifying what we need.

Can't be taking someone seriously who never knew a dot on Ederson prior, jumping on here claiming its not what we need, or they're similar to what we already have, just bizarre. 

Some people need better hobbies than fantasising their 5 minute online research, in the hope of appearing knowledgeable online.

I think you've taken my "desktop scouting" line too literally.

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think slightly more possession-based styles scale better at the elite level. I think greater rotation scales better at the elite level.

Let Me get this straight; Teams that keep the ball better and have better squad rotation capabilities, like Liverpool and Man City are generally the better teams?

Groundbreaking stuff this. 

Guest reefatoon
47 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Is this shit serious!

[emoji38] [emoji38] he’s unhinged! But he is getting the attention he desperately seeks.

7 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

You are absolutely right about many things. But, never forget that it’s quite easy to read up on players to get an idea about a player. Reading on other forums about their own player and what their thoughts are on player X. Also reading reports from people who have seen a player tons of times. It doesn’t mean that you know everything about the player like a professional scout. All I’m saying is that you CAN get an idea what type of player it is, style; weaknesses and strengths.