NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

52 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Think today’s the day we’ll get a “here we go” on one of our players leaving and later in the week a “here we go” on someone coming in. Not ITK, just feel it in the water 

Maybe not as confident as you about it being today. But certainly in the next couple. Think we may see a clear destination for Minteh by the end of the day. 

32 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Nice! Hopefully we can loan him out and sell him for profit. Very exciting.

:lol:

When you see how FFP works, it makes you wonder even more why Ashley didn't have us functioning like a proper club. PIF haven't done anything untoward or out of the ordinary so far that the club shouldn't have been able to do previously. 

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

:lol:

When you see how FFP works, it makes you wonder even more why Ashley didn't have us functioning like a proper club. PIF haven't done anything untoward or out of the ordinary so far that the club shouldn't have been able to do previously. 

It's the one thing I will never understand about us under Ashley. Guy was tight, and wanted club operate at a minimal cost. Then why not just invest loads into academy, produce players, and keep them moving on at a good profits all whilst maintaining the Prem money.

Just felt a straight forward strategy, but never followed it. After the Carroll move, it should've been a light bulb moment for doing that, but nope. We would've had a ceiling just being an outright selling club, but would've had some fun players come through the doors. Instead it's sign the likes of Hendrick, where it's low cost, but then no resale.

17 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

It's the one thing I will never understand about us under Ashley. Guy was tight, and wanted club operate at a minimal cost. Then why not just invest loads into academy, produce players, and keep them moving on at a good profits all whilst maintaining the Prem money.

Just felt a straight forward strategy, but never followed it. After the Carroll move, it should've been a light bulb moment for doing that, but nope. We would've had a ceiling just being an outright selling club, but would've had some fun players come through the doors. Instead it's sign the likes of Hendrick, where it's low cost, but then no resale.

It was because since the first relegation he was constantly trying to sell the club throughout his tenure. Hence the stop gap, short term signings like Hendrick and extending the likes of Hayden, Ritchie, Dummett etc to keep the club ticking over.

Academy investment is a long term plan with no guarantee of success.

18 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

It baffles me how he ever got rich. Repeatedly made the same snafu for 14 years and appeared incapable of learning. 

Think the only reason people are annoyed is that for the first time in ages we actually signed a wonder kid and he had a great season abroad on loan, which never happens for us. He plays in a position we’ve been wanting an upgrade for a while and we’re going to sell him for accounting reasons. 

Edited by Kanji

Slightly alternative Minteh take here...

I wonder if Eddie and the coaching staff have already decided that they think Minteh isn't all that & we're looking to get big money for him before anyone else realises. Imagine he does feature for us a bit, looks crap, gets another loan somewhere and suddenly he's Kuol MKII.

I know he did well out on loan but the Dutch league isn't the greatest barometer for Premier League success and the concrete interest shown (Everton, Lyon, Feyenoord again) doesn't scream top tier talent.

Could well be they've heard figures of £40m bandied about and done their own version of cartoon Steve Bruce signing the Hull contract ('kinhell!) and are desperately trying to get him peddled as they know we're doing a great deal.

I think we all understood that moving players like Minteh on and flipping for a big profit is meant to become our MO, I think like Kanji has said we're all so frustrated because it's the very first one, a few years down the line and a better first team and more players like this we probably won't bat an eyelid. That being said it would be incredibly frustrating to see him leave with the potential of Almirion starting next season. In an ideal world we keep him but if if it's a choice between sale or falling foul of the PSR shit we are going to have to sell

I hate the youth farm model on a general basis, but understand in order to be competitive we need to do the same unethical, anti-competitive shit the other top teams do.

However, other teams tend to:

1. Have notably better players in the positions of the youth players they sell

2. Have other more highly rated talents in that position they don't sell

All hypothetical, but if by end of August we have got:

• £25m+ Minteh
  • £15m Wilson
  • £5m+ Targett
  • £15m Almiron
  • £5m Dubravka 
  • £2m+ Lewis

I'd take that as a great first window of actually getting money for players. Hopefully Anderson get's a loan because he will need to be playing regularly next season to assess what his level really is long term. This with Dummett / Ritchie / Hayden off the books too is a fresh slate we need for actual squad building.

Room for the 4 buys, GK/CB/RW/ST. Maybe even a bit of creativity, like Trafford on loan with a slight increase in price for permanent buy on 25/26 books.

3 hours ago, Sibierski said:

It's the same as his approach to business

He buys failing or bankrupt brands at rock bottom prices and tries to sweat every penny from them, usually by cutting investment, quality and customer service to the absolute minimum then going after volume sales

Am struggling to think of any examples of where he's bought something good or new, then made it even better

He's a vulture who feeds on carcasses

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

I wonder if Eddie and the coaching staff have already decided that they think Minteh isn't all that & we're looking to get big money for him before anyone else realises. Imagine he does feature for us a bit, looks crap, gets another loan somewhere and suddenly he's Kuol MKII.

I know he did well out on loan but the Dutch league isn't the greatest barometer for Premier League success and the concrete interest shown (Everton, Lyon, Feyenoord again) doesn't scream top tier talent.

Could well be they've heard figures of £40m bandied about and done their own version of cartoon Steve Bruce signing the Hull contract ('kinhell!) and are desperately trying to get him peddled as they know we're doing a great deal.

I'd like to see them use that same cunning and wheeler dealing to get Almiron or Longstaff out the door for whatever they are deemed to be worth.

4 hours ago, Andy84 said:

Don’t know why people get their knickers in a twist about this.  The reality of the situation all clubs are in, see how many young players City sell for example to boost PSR.  

this shows no level of thinking what so ever. Just trotting out the same old lines 

City have £100m players on their bench. They have squad depth where selling young players that aren’t really going to trouble their bench with £100m players on it is fine. We have Murphy starting a load of games last season and kids on the bench Howe didn’t even want to bring on. We don’t have the squad depth or quality to be doing what City and Chelsea are with their Prospects and if we weren’t desperate to sell and struggling to sell our deadwood there’s no chance Minteh would be sold off so easily 

2 hours ago, Sibierski said:

• £25m+ Minteh
  • £15m Wilson
  • £5m+ Targett
  • £15m Almiron
  • £5m Dubravka 
  • £2m+ Lewis

I'd take that as a great first window of actually getting money for players. Hopefully Anderson get's a loan because he will need to be playing regularly next season to assess what his level really is long term. This with Dummett / Ritchie / Hayden off the books too is a fresh slate we need for actual squad building.

Room for the 4 buys, GK/CB/RW/ST. Maybe even a bit of creativity, like Trafford on loan with a slight increase in price for permanent buy on 25/26 books.

I’d have no issue with Targett staying on next season as back up.

51 minutes ago, gdm said:

this shows no level of thinking what so ever. Just trotting out the same old lines 

City have £100m players on their bench. They have squad depth where selling young players that aren’t really going to trouble their bench with £100m players on it is fine. We have Murphy starting a load of games last season and kids on the bench Howe didn’t even want to bring on. We don’t have the squad depth or quality to be doing what City and Chelsea are with their Prospects and if we weren’t desperate to sell and struggling to sell our deadwood there’s no chance Minteh would be sold off so easily 

Theoretically, you be happier keeping Minteh and not signing a quality RW, as well as having less funds to pay for other signings? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just checking that's what you are saying?

13 minutes ago, STM said:

Theoretically, you be happier keeping Minteh and not signing a quality RW, as well as having less funds to pay for other signings? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just checking that's what you are saying?

No I’m saying it’s ludicrous saying “that’s what city & Chelsea do” which I’ve seen countless times. Yes they do turn over young prospects for cash but they’ve got the squads to do so we don’t. I’d very reluctantly sell Minteh if all other options have been exhausted because I do believe he can offer us more in the squad than Murphy & Almiron but it’s not at all comparable to City & Chelsea doing it 

Edited by gdm

Just now, gdm said:

No I’m saying it’s ludicrous saying “that’s what city & Chelsea do” which I’ve seen countless times. Yes they do turn over young prospects for cash but they’ve got the squads to do so we don’t. I’d very reluctantly sell Minteh if all other options have been exhausted because I do believe he can offer us more in the squad than Murphy & Almiron but it’s not at all compatible to City & Chelsea doing it 

I agree there are differences. 

Ultimately Minteh is a means to an end. We need money. We have to sell. If there are other options, I'm sure they have been explored.

2 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

It's the same as his approach to business

He buys failing or bankrupt brands at rock bottom prices and tries to sweat every penny from them, usually by cutting investment, quality and customer service to the absolute minimum then going after volume sales

Am struggling to think of any examples of where he's bought something good or new, then made it even better

He's a vulture who feeds on carcases.

Generally agree, but vultures perform an important ecological function. Not sure Fat Mike does.

6 hours ago, Sibierski said:

• £25m+ Minteh
  • £15m Wilson
  • £5m+ Targett
  • £15m Almiron
  • £5m Dubravka 
  • £2m+ Lewis

We wouldn’t get £500k for Dubravka

6 hours ago, Pilko said:

think you are overthinking it tbh. Think we need money in in the next 6 days and Minteh is the best/only avenue for that