NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Can someone help him out? He’s massively got the wrong end of the stick.

btw maybe wrong but I’m sure you were one of the ones desperate for minteh to go coz we’ll replace with better 

You are wrong. I wasn't desperate for Minteh to be sold. It would have been nice to have kept him but recognised the situation we were in.

Once again, I was on the none-cryarsing end of that discussion.

Also, saying "can someone help him out" is showing a massive lack of self awareness. You think you are in the majority? 

I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone, but I suspect that most are sick of needless negativity, something which you are doing. I don't know if you do this all the time or not, I've never paid enough attention to your posts to know that. 

Edited by STM

Just now, STM said:

Another insult. How child-like.

You are behaving like a child. Nothing I’ve said is massively negative or out of order. Many people think we need a new RW, many people think we aren’t much better than last season. Many people think we need to sell our dead wood and many many times I’ve said it’s not the clubs fault.

why you started attacking me I’ve no idea :lol:

anyway move on. You are a decent poster. Apologies for calling you daftie just don’t think anything I said was particularly outrageous 

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

23 goals in 157 games for a forward player 

Indeed, it is true that he lacks in scoring and assists, but it is also important to acknowledge his significant contributions to our press. He diligently covers Trippier at right back and demonstrates unwavering commitment and dedication to the team.

While there is certainly room for improvement, it is unfair to dismiss his efforts entirely. With him and Murphy occupying the right wing position, we can be confident in their abilities to perform effectively during the upcoming season, especially considering the absence of European competitions.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

You are behaving like a child. Nothing I’ve said is massively negative or out of order. Many people think we need a new RW, many people think we aren’t much better than last season. Many people think we need to sell our dead wood and many many times I’ve said it’s not the clubs fault.

why you started attacking me I’ve no idea :lol:

anyway move on. You are a decent poster. Apologies for calling you daftie just don’t think anything I said was particularly outrageous 

No worries, we can leave it there.

The only thing I will say is that while we may not have much improvement in personnel, don't be surprised if our performances actually do improve.. we shall see. :thup:

And let's hope we make a signing or two soon.

1 minute ago, STM said:

No worries, we can leave it there.

The only thing I will say is that while we may not have much improvement in personnel, don't be surprised if our performances actually do improve.. we shall see. :thup:

And let's hope we make a signing or two soon.

We agree that we will improve. We have a good side. That RW position just bugs me. Trippier was a massive reason we got any joy down that side at all. I can just see an improvement there improves us massively as we can be effective from both sides. Maybe I am too harsh on Almiron but he frustrates the life out of me

28 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

If Minteh had stayed, he would have likely been behind Almiron and Murphy in the pecking order for playing time this season. A loan move might have been a better option for him, as it is unlikely that he would have started ahead of our current options.. 

Yeah sorry, I don't agree with that at all. As I've often said, I don't dislike Almiron and Murphy nearly as much as most on here, but with good coaching Minteh has all the tools to be a massive upgrade on them. He'd perhaps have been brought slowly as is customary under Howe, but by the end of the season he would have been our starting RW and we'd feel we'd be settled in that position for years to come, similar to what happened last year with Hall.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

I can’t believe how pessimistic people are being! People clearly don’t remember what it was like under Ashley etc.

Lewis Hall - Yes he was here last season but we have signed him permanently, so he is like a new signing!

Lloyd Kelly - Adds strength and depth after losing Dummett, giving us a third left centre back.

John Ruddy - England international goalkeeper.

Odysseas Vlachodimos - Greek international and Champions League player, we managed to get rid of Elliott in the process of signing this lad so win-win.

Yankuba Minteh - Never bought to play and only bought to be flipped, which we did and made a lot of money! Kerching!

Alexander Isak and Bruno - They haven’t been sold, so they are like new signings!

Anthony Gordon - We managed to fight Liverpool off after offering him to them originally, so he is also like a new signing!

Sandro Tonali - Back from a year on his holidays, he is like a new signing!

Plus, the following players are all a year older so more experienced…

• The entire squad. 

We have massively improved! What happened to only wanted a team that tries? Deluded some people.

That's not how new signings work unfortunately - they were all here last season. I agree it's a positive that they haven't left but it's a strange way to spin it.
The only one that will be like a new signing is Tonali, who i'm genuinely excited to see.

We haven't massively improved though. Far from it.
New signings give everyone a lift and competition for places, which keeps existing players on their toes. They also give you a little bit of the unknown, which other teams have got to get to grips with. So, they're really important. 

Love the optimism though!

Edited by Holmesy

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Yeah sorry, I don't agree with that at all. As I've often said, I don't dislike Almiron and Murphy nearly as much as most on here, but with good coaching Minteh has all the tools to be a massive upgrade on them. He'd perhaps have been brought slowly as is customary under Howe, but by the end of the season he would have been our starting RW and we'd feel we'd be settled in that position for years to come, similar to what happened last year with Hall.

It appears we have differing opinions on this matter, and it seems we will have to agree to disagree.

I understand your perspective, however, I believe that keeping Minteh on the bench for most of the season without giving him playing time, especially when we do not have European competitions, would not be beneficial for his development. Additionally, I do not foresee Eddie consistently bringing him on for brief appearances ahead of Murphy, particularly if Almiron is starting or vice versa. Therefore, I maintain my stance that a loan move would have been the most suitable option for him.

It is obvious that the defence needed shoring up after last season and the lack of pace needed to be addressed. Hopefully Guehi or another quick centre back will be brought in.

I also would like an upgrade on the right wing, in an attacking sense, as both Miggy and murph contribute a huge amount to pressing and defensive work whilst not being "star" attacking players. Needs to be the right signing as somebody above quoted; has to have the running, pressing etc as well as being more talented attacking wise... not easy to come by tbf...

14 minutes ago, gdm said:

We agree that we will improve. We have a good side. That RW position just bugs me. Trippier was a massive reason we got any joy down that side at all. I can just see an improvement there improves us massively as we can be effective from both sides. Maybe I am too harsh on Almiron but he frustrates the life out of me

Our team's statistics on both sides are quite similar. However, it is worth noting that our right side is more productive in terms of assists. It could be argued that Tripp's effectiveness is enhanced when Almiron is playing ahead of him, as Almiron provides good cover for Tripp.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I would've expected Minteh to be loaned out again.

We had Lyon and Brighton offering upwards of 30m, with Dortmund interested too if rumours are to be believed, but you don't think Howe and the coaching staff would have had a look to see if he could be the answer to our weakest XI position before shipping him out for another loan? Which club in our position even considers loaning out >30m rated assets? I think the lad is already better than many on here think. It's going to be very interesting to see how he develops at Brighton.

Edit: Brighton have just posted a "Minteh cam" video of his game against Villareal. He's made for the PL.

Edited by Unbelievable

7 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

That's not how new signings work - they were all here last season. I agree it's a positive that they haven't left but it's a strange way to spin it.
The only one that will be like a new signing is Tonali, who i'm genuinely excited to see.

We haven't massively improved though. Far from it.
New signings give everyone a lift and competition for places, which keeps existing players on their toes. They also give you a little bit of the unknown, which other teams have got to get to grips with. So, they're really important. 

Love the optimism though!

That post was a pisstake right..? Surely nobody would suggest "Odysseas Vlachodimos - Greek international and Champions League player, we managed to get rid of Elliott in the process of signing this lad so win-win." and be serious?

4 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

Our team's statistics on both sides are quite similar. However, it is worth noting that our right side is more productive in terms of assists. It could be argued that Tripp's effectiveness is enhanced when Almiron is playing ahead of him, as Almiron provides good cover for Tripp.

Interesting point tbf

A lot of the data dweebs were also saying Minteh looks like the real deal. But he’s gone! Someone had to go and it was him and Anderson, and that’s done. It’s frustrating but it was them or Isak or Bruno or Gordon realistically.

5 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

I don’t think it’s cover, it’s more that Almiron cuts inside, which any left fitted RW would do.

The cover comes from BDB staying back so Schar can come over and the incredible work ethic of longstaff 

4 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

We had Lyon and Brighton offering upwards of 30m, with Dortmund interested too if rumours are to be believed, but you don't think Howe and the coaching staff would have had a look to see if he could be the answer to our weakest XI position before shipping him out for another load? Which club in our position even considers loaning out >30m rated assets? I think the lad is already better than many on here think. It's going to be very interesting to see how he develops at Brighton.

I think if we weren’t PSR fucked I think he’d have stayed and been the answer to the RW problem with all the money going to CH. he may have started on the bench but eventually been a started for us

6 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

That post was a pisstake right..? Surely nobody would suggest "Odysseas Vlachodimos - Greek international and Champions League player, we managed to get rid of Elliott in the process of signing this lad so win-win." and be serious?

I didn't read it as a pisstake but maybe i've been punked

Going to be really interesting to see how things end up once the window closes.

If the budget is tight, and this isn't just posturing from the club, I do wonder if we're aiming too high for improvements at the RW and CB positions.

We have a manager that is really good at getting the best out of players with a decent level of ability and a good attitude.

And to be honest upgrading Miggy doesn't require an extraordinary right winger. Meanwhile the centre back that comes in just needs to be a younger talent at the position that can eventually grow into taking over from Schar.

I'd much rather we made signings that improved both positions a decent amount, at a lesser cost for each, than sacrifice one of the positions altogether for a bigger improvement in just one area for a large fee.

Let's see what happens.

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

I think if we weren’t PSR fucked I think he’d have stayed and been the answer to the RW problem with all the money going to CH. he may have started on the bench but eventually been a started for us

Yeah, I agree with this. It wasn't a case of him leaving because we didn't rate him. He left because he was a more saleable asset than the likes of Almiron and Murphy, hence why so many teams wanted him. We had a PSR deadline and we were less reluctant to lose him than Gordon or one of our other stars